Wiki Posts
Search

Ask the staffer

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2015, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Dicksbits
Tight time wise at LHR, would rather spend precious time in the FLounge at T5 than in a big Q, even at F checkin!!
I was in T5 earlier this afternoon, and it was really quiet. No queues.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Geordie405
Here's one for people who work in ticketing / sales
I'm not a staffer but I'll take a look at it.

Originally Posted by Geordie405

When purchasing from the US the ticket rules usually state "Changes permitted at any time within ticket validity for a change fee of $275 or upgrade fee of $275 plus any fare difference. All sectors may be repriced. Ticket retains value for future travel only if flight reservation is cancelled prior to ticketed departure time." or similar.

How does this work in practice? The reason I ask was that when there was a flash sale from the US some months ago I wanted to cancel my flight reservations (a mix of J and WT+ tickets) and then rebook the whole itinerary in J. I know I would have had to pay the change / upgrade fee but the whole itinerary in J was cheaper than the previous booking - so I would have expected to get nothing back in terms of the fare difference.

The agent I spoke to couldn't grasp the difference between cancelling the ticket and cancelling the flight reservation and so said I would only get a refund of the J sectors and nothing for the WT+ sector.

My understanding (based on what my US corporate TA has done in the past) is that the flight reservations are cancelled but the ticket remains in situ (with the same ticket number) and when you choose to rebook a fare recalculation is done at that point based on the new flight reservations - you pay any difference plus the change fee.

Can someone explain how this all works in practice please? Just to reiterate, this is in relation to tickets that start in the USA. Thanks
Unfortunately the sales agents are not always the best on the helpline. You would be better off asking to make a change.

The typical ex-US fare rules spell it out for you

Code:
--- REPRICING CONDITIONS ---
          A. WHEN THE FIRST FARE COMPONENT IS CHANGED THE
          ITINERARY MUST BE RE-PRICED USING CURRENT FARES IN
          EFFECT ON THE DATE THE TICKET IS REISSUED.
          B. WHEN CHANGES ARE TO BOOKING CODE ONLY IN THE
          FIRST FARE COMPONENT AND RESULT IN A HIGHER FARE
          THE ITINERARY MUST BE RE-PRICED USING HISTORICAL
          FARES IN EFFECT ON THE PREVIOUS TICKETING DATE OR
          USING CURRENT FARES IN EFFECT ON THE DATE THE
          TICKET IS REISSUED - WHICHEVER IS LOWER.
          C. WHEN THERE ARE NO CHANGES TO THE FIRST FARE
          COMPONENT BUT OTHER FARE COMPONENTS ARE CHANGED
          THE ITINERARY MUST BE RE-PRICED USING HISTORICAL
          FARES IN EFFECT ON THE PREVIOUS TICKETING DATE OR
          USING CURRENT FARES IN EFFECT ON THE DATE THE
          TICKET IS REISSUED - WHICHEVER IS LOWER.
          --------------------------------------------------
          NEW TICKET MAY BE LOWER - EQUAL OR HIGHER THAN
          PREVIOUS AND MUST COMPLY WITH ALL PROVISIONS OF
          THE NEW FARE BEING APPLIED.
          --------------------------------------------------
          WHEN THE ITINERARY RESULTS IN A HIGHER FARE THE
          DIFFERENCE WILL BE COLLECTED. ANY APPLICABLE
          CHANGE FEE STILL APPLIES.
          -----------------------------------------------
          WHEN THE NEW ITINERARY RESULTS IN A LOWER FARE THE
          RESIDUAL AMOUNT WILL BE REFUNDED. ANY APPLICABLE
          CHANGE FEE STILL APPLIES.
So after the change fee and potentially any service fees, you should receive the difference back via the original payment method.

[Your ticket will be reissued or exchanged and you will receive a new ticket number. Changes to existing tickets (that do not require a reissue/exchange) can only be made on the date/time/flight number/booking code, provided there is no price change. This kind of change is called a revalidation. An airline (but not a travel agent) can also change the flight prefix. This is a deliberate limitation. Any other change requires a new ticket (this is called a re-issue or an exchange), but the old ticket number will be referenced on the new ticket.]

For discounted tickets originating outside the US, there is usually a provision whereby BA keeps the residual instead of refunding it.

Last edited by Calchas; Jan 3, 2016 at 5:53 pm
Old Dec 23, 2015, 10:15 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
First: wrinkle releasers. These sprays are indeed wonderful in a pinch (you won't look perfectly pressed, but you also won't look like you slept in your clothes). Don't spend money on them, though, because all they are is a bit of fabric softener that's been watered down. You can make your own for pennies if you already have liquid fabric softener -- just add a squirt to a cup or two of water, put in spray bottle, shake, and there you have it. Truly a case of companies coming up with a new use for an old product; tweaked, reduced, repackaged, and repriced. =)

Now for another question, aimed at FAs...

I am terrified of flying. I grit my teeth, because of course the person with a flying phobia got into a long distance relationship. I actually had a panic attack on a flight a few years ago: we were getting close to landing, and I interpreted our descent as crashing. I'm now a more seasoned flyer and now know the plane actually needs to descend in order to land. =D

I'm fine once we've reached altitude, and I actually like turbulence, because for some reason, my brain accepts that it isn't dangerous (unless one is unbelted). But take-offs, landings, and steep banking freak me out. I understand the physics and mechanics, thanks to my dad who was a career pilot and flight instructor (helicopters, though, not commercial airliners). Oddly, though, I think he's the reason I have this phobia. He always talked about how the take off and landing were the most dangerous parts of the flight, and because apparently the professional pilot world is small, I'd hear all the horror stories of "idiots" who made foolish mistakes and crashed, and I'd get the expert-level play-by-play of everything that went wrong. So in my head, my fear is quite reasonable and justified, even though I know logically I'm actually very safe.

So my question is: should I admit my fear to FAs upon boarding? Most people who are afraid seem to be afraid the whole flight, and benefit from a little TLC from the crew. But what could a FA do for me during take-off and landings? How do you handle people who are afraid to fly? Do you prefer they tell you so you can offer some support? Any tricks or tips or other advice?

(I'd love to take the fearful flyer course BA offers, but I'm in Chicago...)
Old Dec 23, 2015, 1:44 pm

Yes, do tell the crew that you're fearful. They can keep an eye on you and offer extra support as and when you need it.

Please remember that a lot of aviation stories are a bit like fishing stories and take those stories you were told with a pinch of salt. Any professional commercial pilot worth their weight do not take risks. They follow company SOPs and checklists.

Depending on who you're flying with next, ask if there's a possibility you could have a chat with the pilots. BA pilots tend to be very good with this but I don't know other companies' procedures in regards to flight deck visits on the ground.

Feel free to pm me if you have more questions - happy to help in any way I can.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 6:40 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Rather odd approach route today form BA1347 LBA-LHR. We did a few orbits around Bovvingdon but then headed south and crossed the airport before doing an Ockham type transition to 27L. Never seen anything like this before. Does it happen often? And I guess this is to optimise sequencing? LHR doesn't seem that busy today.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/f...a1347/#8606784
Old Dec 27, 2015, 7:39 am

It does happen occasionally, usually when one stack is busy and the others less so. A stack swap can help ATC reduce the delays from a particular stack and help sequencing.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KARFA
We did a few orbits around Bovvingdon but then headed south and crossed the airport before doing an Ockham type transition to 27L.
... Mornington Crescent!

Old Dec 27, 2015, 4:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Etihad Guest
Stack swaps are a regular occurrence, especially in the early morning with arrivals coming from the Sates. OCK - BNN swaps happen a lot, it often depends on the airline and which terminal is being used as to who gets swapped. As Waterhorse has mentioned, it's to relieve demand on one of the holds. OCK & LAM tend to be the two busiest holds.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 1:04 am

Originally Posted by Waterhorse
It does happen occasionally, usually when one stack is busy and the others less so. A stack swap can help ATC reduce the delays from a particular stack and help sequencing.
Originally Posted by ATCO2
Stack swaps are a regular occurrence, especially in the early morning with arrivals coming from the Sates. OCK - BNN swaps happen a lot, it often depends on the airline and which terminal is being used as to who gets swapped. As Waterhorse has mentioned, it's to relieve demand on one of the holds. OCK & LAM tend to be the two busiest holds.
Thank you both very much for the explanation. I think this is the first time I have experienced it, although Maybe it has happened to me before and I haven't noticed.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 8:48 am

That wasn't a stack swap, that was just tactical vectoring after it left the hold at BNN.

The most likely two explanations are that an increase in track miles was needed for some reason, or the traffic being sequenced at the time was weighted on the north side, so INT N was making use of INT S's airspace.

Stack swaps are done well before the traffic reaches the first intended hold. BNN to OCK would involve a change in routing up around the Birmingham area with the traffic going well west of LHR, over WOD or thereabouts, before going towards OCK to hold.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 9:25 am

Programs: BA Gold
Work Placement opportunity offered by BA

I'm not sure if any of the lovely staffers would be able to shed any light on this but I noticed that BA is offering work placement opportunities seemingly for Cabin experience... My 17 year old is starting to gain my fascination with flying and has expressed an interest in exploring the possibility of flying as a career so this seems like it would be an amazing and really exciting work placement...

My question is what would a week's placement look like in terms of the experience she would be afforded (what would she be doing) if she was lucky enough to be selected?

Thanks for any insight!
Old Dec 28, 2015, 9:58 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by CaroFos
I'm not sure if any of the lovely staffers would be able to shed any light on this but I noticed that BA is offering work placement opportunities seemingly for Cabin experience... My 17 year old is starting to gain my fascination with flying and has expressed an interest in exploring the possibility of flying as a career so this seems like it would be an amazing and really exciting work placement...

My question is what would a week's placement look like in terms of the experience she would be afforded (what would she be doing) if she was lucky enough to be selected?

Thanks for any insight!
I believe for the week the student is assigned a buddy (BA Employee) who they shadow over the course of the week and along with shadowing and in some cases getting involved with their work will have a structured programme for the week and what they will do over the week.

I think there is quite a good video on the BA YouTube page they explains it in more depth.

Otherwise I think they have a very good work experience scheme but know it is very competitive.

Let me know if I can help anymore
Old Dec 28, 2015, 10:04 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by londonba2014
I believe for the week the student is assigned a buddy (BA Employee) who they shadow over the course of the week and along with shadowing and in some cases getting involved with their work will have a structured programme for the week and what they will do over the week.

I think there is quite a good video on the BA YouTube page they explains it in more depth.

Otherwise I think they have a very good work experience scheme but know it is very competitive.

Let me know if I can help anymore
Thank you .. that's really helpful.. We'll have a look on the youtube channel.. will let you know if we have any more questions ... :-)
Old Dec 28, 2015, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by VeryNotReally

But steep banking freak me out. I understand the physics and mechanics

Hi
Similar situation to this poster - except I don't like steep banking or turbulence.

We know that neither item is dangerous to a plane, but is there a possibility that when banking sharply that turbulence can cause the plane to get closer to turning too far or toppling?

On a flight the other day when coming through the clouds it felt like the plane was close to going to doing that when it got bounced side to side and then up and down when descending and banking.

thanks
Old Dec 28, 2015, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by Scott Pilgrim
That wasn't a stack swap, that was just tactical vectoring after it left the hold at BNN.

The most likely two explanations are that an increase in track miles was needed for some reason, or the traffic being sequenced at the time was weighted on the north side, so INT N was making use of INT S's airspace.

Stack swaps are done well before the traffic reaches the first intended hold. BNN to OCK would involve a change in routing up around the Birmingham area with the traffic going well west of LHR, over WOD or thereabouts, before going towards OCK to hold.
Thanks. Very informative.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.