Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The BA Compensation Thread: Your guide to Regulation 261/2004

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The BA Compensation Thread: Your guide to Regulation 261/2004

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2014, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I would mention all these factors, plus the Heathrow fleet, to show you have done your homework. The most important point to make is that you do not regard this as extraordinary as defined by the Regulations or by past judgments.
Will do! Thanks.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 8:10 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by BA6501
Thanks serfty and CWS.

I have just received the third response:

Thank you for contacting us. I apologise for the delay in replying to you.

I have reviewed your claim for compensation and your flight BA0153 on 19 December 2013 is not eligible for EU compensation.

The EU has published a list of what National Enforcement Bodies consider extraordinary circumstances. This includes the failure of on-condition/condition monitored parts i.e. parts which should not require unscheduled maintenance or replacement during normal operational service. The premature failure of these parts during normal operational service when maintained in accordance with the maintenance programme is unpredictable.

As previously advised, the flight was delayed due to unexpected flight safety shortcomings. Under EU legislation, British Airways is not liable for a compensation payment in this situation.

On arrival of the previous flight BA0164 on 19 December 2013, we discovered a fault with the undercarriage, which led to the aircraft change. There are numerous parts that the airline may be required to replace within a specific timeframe. These parts are kept fully stocked and ready to fit. As this particular ‘part’ was not due to be replaced, this constitutes as extraordinary circumstances. This caused a flight safety shortcoming that had to be assessed by our engineering team.

Article 5.3 of the EU Regulation 261/2004 states that a carrier is not obliged to pay compensation if it can prove that the delay or cancellation is caused by extraordinary circumstances that could not have been avoided even if all reasonable measures had been taken. I regret, therefore you are not entitled to compensation under the EU Regulation for your delayed flight.

I realise that this will be disappointing for you but I hope this information will enable you to understand our decision.
Best regards

I assume the next step in small claims?
Just received a third response identical to the above (different flight of course). Is this published list in existence or a bunch of hog wash that BA made up?
Old Feb 14, 2014, 8:22 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Originally Posted by sts603
Just received a third response identical to the above (different flight of course). Is this published list in existence or a bunch of hog wash that BA made up?
The list that c-w-s refers to above can be found here:

http://ec.europa.eu/transport/themes...ances-list.pdf

It appears to severely limit the circumstances under which claims will be accepted when any technical issue is involved.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 8:28 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by V10
The list that c-w-s refers to above can be found here:

http://ec.europa.eu/transport/themes...ances-list.pdf

It appears to severely limit the circumstances under which claims will be accepted when any technical issue is involved.
It says draft....??
Old Feb 14, 2014, 8:53 am
V10

It says draft....??
Yes, indeed it does. @:-)
Old Feb 14, 2014, 9:35 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by V10
Yes, indeed it does. @:-)
So does it have any weight then? Or do the court decisions in the UK to the contrary rule?
Old Feb 14, 2014, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
So does it have any weight then? Or do the court decisions in the UK to the contrary rule?
Originally Posted by BA6501
Should I state that the list they are referring to is a draft, and separately that under Sturgeon technical issues are not extraordinary? Or simply 'I am unable to let matters rest at this point and I shall take matters further if this case is not escalated and reviewed within 10 days'?

Thanks
That part of the draft was deleted on Feb 5th. See post #205 for the only circumstances that could be considered extraordinary should those amendments be passed as voted.

More in this.

Here's what was proposed for inclusion on the "non-exhaustive" list of extraordinary circumstances in relation to mechanical failure:
ii. technical problems which are not inherent in the normal operation of the aircraft, such as the identification of a defect during the flight operation concerned and which prevents the normal continuation of the operation; or a hidden manufacturing defect revealed by the manufacturer or a competent authority and which impinges on flight safety;
With the passing of amendments, some changes were made to the draft. One was to alter the representation of that list from being "non-Exhaustive" to being "Exhaustive". For the amendments in relation to mechanical defects, here is what was actually passed:
ii. technical problems afflicting the aircraft which are directly caused by a hidden manufacturing defect formally acknowledged as such by the manufacturer or a competent authority arose during the maintenance check preceding the flight or after the aircraft has been released to service, which impinges on flight safety;

Last edited by serfty; Mar 1, 2014 at 2:16 am
Old Feb 14, 2014, 10:24 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Thank you serfty.

I'll try and make some sense out of the current situation:

(1) In terms of the Regulations, there's no specific reference to technical issues, other than a general sense that airlines must take all reasonable meaures to avoid cancellations (and by judicial inference, delays too).

(2) In terms of judgements, Sturgeon is the key one, it basically says that extraordinary means exactly that, not unusual, and technical delays are covered by the regulations unless highly unusual. My take on that would be if Boeing or Airbus issued an alert requiring a part to be modified, then delays engendered by this are extraordinary.

(3) The National Enforcement Bodies (NEBs) (CAA in the UK's case) got together last year and drafted up some guidelines, which gave scope to airlines to deny EU261 for technical shortcomings.

(4) The European Commission and Parliament are drafting up revisions to the Regulations, which more explicitly aligns (2) Judgements with (1) Regulations, and puts a high bar on airlines: technical issues would not be a get-out clause unless they were extraordinary, and some much clearer definitions are in there, which frankly should have been in EU261 from day 1.

A judge may find (3) and (4) interesting, but s/he would be bound by (1) and (2). If the airline relies in court on (3), never mind the drafting aspect, never mind the non legal status, it could be easily swatted away by pointing out that the legislators' thinking is clearly revealed by (4). I would be surprised if BA would want (3) to be tested in court.

NEBs are a bit like the RSPCA in England and Wales with animal welfare, they are the enforcement authority, but don't make the law. The RSPCA has internal guidelines about what to do in various scenarios, which are necessary in order for them to do their job efficiently, but these guidelines shouldn't be confused with legislation. [I am leaving aside the current debate on the RSPCA's role].

BA, until (3), paid fairly willingly on technical delays. Since September 2013 they are relying in (3), which is understandable in terms of protecting the shareholders' capital, but is very much open to challenge as shown above. BA still has just about the best reputation in the industry for meeting their EU261 obligations, but I believe (3) to be challenged and over-ruled by (1) and (2) now, and (4) in the future.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 3:04 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
(2) In terms of judgements, Wallentin-Hermann is the key one, it basically says that extraordinary means exactly that, not unusual, and technical delays are covered by the regulations unless highly unusual. My take on that would be if Boeing or Airbus issued an alert requiring a part to be modified, then delays engendered by this are extraordinary.
Fixed that for you.

\Pedant off
Old Feb 16, 2014, 2:45 am

Programs: BA Silver, SQ, VS, CX
BA12 - 20 Dec 2013

Hello - I went back to BA saying that my 8 hour delay was not extraordinary circumstances as BA did not take all reasonable measures (outbound flight BA11 from LHR to SIN was delayed about 15 hours - fuel leak, crew hours, night flying time) as an alternative plane/ crew could be used from LHR home base. I just received my third rejection by BA - again referring to the list. However does this list apply if it was the outbound flight that was affected as it refers to apparent immediately before departure?

"Thank you for contacting us. Please accept my apologies for the delay in responding to you.

I have reviewed your claim and flight BA0012 on 20 December 2013 is not eligible for EU compensation.

The EU has published a list of what National Enforcement Bodies consider extraordinary circumstances. This includes any other technical defects which become apparent immediately prior to departure or in-flight where the system or part had been maintained in accordance with the required maintenance programme and which require investigation and/or repair before the aircraft is airworthy for the intended flight.

As previously advised, during our final safety checks before the previous sector BA0011, we noticed a fuel leak on one of the engines which required a repair. As there was no replacement aircraft available in substitution, this led BA0011 to nightstop and the flight departed on the next day using a different aircraft. The original aircraft did not operate until the following day.

As the engine had been maintained in accordance with the manufacturers guidelines, this constitutes as extraordinary circumstances and could not have been avoided. I regret, therefore you are not entitled to compensation under the EU Regulation for your delayed flight.

Article 5.3 of the EU Regulation 261/2004 states that a carrier is not obliged to pay compensation if it can prove that the delay or cancellation is caused by extraordinary circumstances that could not have been avoided even if all reasonable measures had been taken. I regret, therefore you are not entitled to compensation under the EU Regulation for your delayed flight.

I realise that this will be disappointing for you but I hope this information will enable you to understand our decision.
"

I still think this flight is eligible as BA did not take any measures to mitigate the delay, let alone reasonable measures. I assume that my next step is small claims court? Thanks for your advice.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 3:43 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
For what it's worth I finally got my downgrade compensation several months after filing and after multiple followups and emails. Even after they agreed to pay it still took 2 months and 3 threatening emails before I actually got the money, but I got it in the end.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 4:34 am

Programs: BA GfL (GGL/CCR), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by NYTA
For what it's worth I finally got my downgrade compensation several months after filing and after multiple followups and emails. Even after they agreed to pay it still took 2 months and 3 threatening emails before I actually got the money, but I got it in the end.
Well done - perseverance pays off in the end doesn't it!
Old Feb 19, 2014, 2:45 am

Programs: QFF
I finally got a reply (after 9 weeks)

They said "Refused... During our final safety checks, we noticed a fault with the flight control cable. As it had been maintained in accordance with the manufacturers guidelines, this constitutes as extraordinary circumstances and could not have been avoided."

Thoughts? At the time lounge staff said it was delayed due to "aircraft change", while once boarded, the crew said "late arrival from SFO".
Old Feb 19, 2014, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Do they have a pool of reasons to randomly select from?
Old Feb 19, 2014, 2:59 am
V10

Originally Posted by stifle
Do they have a pool of reasons to randomly select from?
Yes. Any technical issue that could possibly ever occur with the aircraft.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.