Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WW "airlines to go bust"

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2020, 3:12 am

Programs: BA GfL
With the Norwegian lessors becoming owners, it raises an interesting potential conflict of interest. I don't know who the lessors are, but if they approach BA with a lease offer, BA could well say, 'But as an owner of Norwegian, aren't you effectively a competitor of ours?'

I worked in an industry (now thankfully retired), where the lines between clients and suppliers were becoming a bit blurred and some clients were telling suppliers that they were, in effect, becoming competitors and why should they continue to use them.
Old May 5, 2020, 5:25 am

Programs: BD Silver, HH Gold, BA Silver, CX Gold
Virgin expected to announce significant job losses at 1pm according to a source working for them at Gatwick
Old May 5, 2020, 6:39 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Sprodo
Virgin expected to announce significant job losses at 1pm according to a source working for them at Gatwick
3000 redundancies announced according to Sky News. One third of its workforce
Old May 5, 2020, 6:45 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Also complete closure of VS operation at LGW for VS. That would only leave MAN & LHR routes.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavir...vival-11983452
Old May 5, 2020, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
Also complete closure of VS operation at LGW for VS. That would only leave MAN & LHR routes.

Worrying times for LGW too. Virgin going, BA seriously considering it, Norwegian even closer to the brink than usual. It's at risk of becoming a package holiday airport like Luton or Stansted.
Old May 5, 2020, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by KARFA

All of their 747s going too. Wouldn't surprise me if other airlines do the same. And I doubt that there will be much demand for A380s either for a good few years. Will BA's 747s and A380s ever return to the skies?
Old May 5, 2020, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by 1010101
Worrying times for LGW too. Virgin going, BA seriously considering it, Norwegian even closer to the brink than usual. It's at risk of becoming a package holiday airport like Luton or Stansted.
Vinci can't be too happy...

https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-ga...-idUKKCN1SK1OI
Old May 5, 2020, 7:10 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum
Will the LGW routes be moved to LHR for the time being? See the slots are being retained for the time being.

Gatwick is in big trouble at the moment.
​​
​​​​
Old May 5, 2020, 7:28 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by SteveF
All of their 747s going too. Wouldn't surprise me if other airlines do the same. And I doubt that there will be much demand for A380s either for a good few years. Will BA's 747s and A380s ever return to the skies?
I suspect not, I reckon they will all go along with half of the 777 fleet, if things don't pick up within 2 to 3 years, the rest of the 777s will be gone as well. Worst case I estimate that BA’s fleet will be about one third or its current size.
Old May 5, 2020, 7:48 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by kanderson1965
I suspect not, I reckon they will all go along with half of the 777 fleet, if things don't pick up within 2 to 3 years, the rest of the 777s will be gone as well. Worst case I estimate that BA’s fleet will be about one third or its current size.
The huge reduction in capacity is going to push prices up significantly in the near term I suspect.
wrp96 likes this.
Old May 5, 2020, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Worcester
The huge reduction in capacity is going to push prices up significantly in the near term I suspect.
Unless the BA staff culling exercise comensates adequately? Aside from the fixed costs, I doubt BA operate flights at a loss.
Old May 5, 2020, 8:02 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci des Transports de Navette
Originally Posted by Worcester
They would need to be careful not to price leisure flyers out of the market.
Old May 5, 2020, 8:07 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, EY Plat, etc
Originally Posted by Bohinjska Bistrica

Gatwick is in big trouble at the moment.
​​
​​​​
Certainly it looks expensive to be split across two terminals with the demise of Monarch, Thomas Cook plus VS and BA decamping en masse to LHR. The fall out across a previously vibrant industry is just massive and my sympathies to anyone else caught up in this.
Old May 5, 2020, 8:10 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by OddJobMan
They would need to be careful not to price leisure flyers out of the market.
If the supply is in effect halved I don’t think they’ll have any problems filling the seats at higher prices

they will not need the price conscious leisure flyers to fill seats, the non price conscious ones will be enough
Old May 5, 2020, 8:16 am

Programs: BAEC, VS Flying Club
Originally Posted by Robespierre
Certainly it looks expensive to be split across two terminals with the demise of Monarch, Thomas Cook plus VS and BA decamping en masse to LHR. The fall out across a previously vibrant industry is just massive and my sympathies to anyone else caught up in this.
Quite the conundrum. South is the obvious terminal to keep open - as they have during lockdown - but their largest and (for now) only remaining large customer has invested heavily in North and effectively calls the shots.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.