Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WW "airlines to go bust"

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2020, 8:49 am

Not to mention that - with any meaningful international flying unlikely before the end of 2020 - it’s utterly ludicrous to suggest that IAG or any airline is going to use any of their liquidity (which they desperately need to stay a going concern) in order to make acquisitions.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 9:35 am

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or
Originally Posted by JerseyPilot
Not to mention that - with any meaningful international flying unlikely before the end of 2020 - it’s utterly ludicrous to suggest that IAG or any airline is going to use any of their liquidity (which they desperately need to stay a going concern) in order to make acquisitions.
Agree. I think IAG/BA interest will be limited to any untapped markets that airline failures throw up and where it can better deploy its own excess capacity.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 9:54 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
There will be plenty of opportunity for IAG to buy things (airlines, aircraft, manufacturer delivery slots...) at knock-down prices after international aviation restarts. Not many other entities will have spare cash for a bidding war or rapid moves. Even the sole-proprietor countries (like Kuwait, Qatar or Singapore) won't have the spare cash for adventures.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 2:56 am

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Virgin Care used the NHS disputes mechanism it is not the same as suing. Stop making it sound like Richard Branson personally did this because he did not.

It was the commissioners fault. They took a deliberate decision not to supply answers to Virgin Care as to why they lost the tender exercise. And remember they already had provided the service that was being recontracted.

It was the commissioners decision to sign the new contract with the other provider despite knowing Virgin Care was questioning the process. That meant Virgin Care had to use the formal disputes mechanism to get answers

It was the commissioners who offered the settlement.
A settlement was offered because they took them to court to sue. Lets be real and not be giving Branson and his companies too much credit here. It was settled as the NHS was looking to lose way more money. Blaming a commissioner because he didnt agree with a bid he lost?

Also, the amount that Virgin "health" has made from the NHS, and unless there is proof that Branson has actually put back £75m into it, i would take that with a pinch of salt.

I work in the NHS (in a lowly small role and nothing corporate) and believe me.. everyone i have worked with since this has happened holds nothing but contempt for this man and his company,.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 3:54 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by MiraculousM
everyone i have worked with since this has happened holds nothing but contempt for this man and his company,.
Perhaps that says more about group think in the NHS? Cognitive diversity anyone?
Old Apr 23, 2020, 4:33 am

There's an article in The Times this morning (Business section, page 36) which states that the chief executive of Delta ruled out injecting cash into Virgin Atlantic and told Sky News that he expects it to go into administration.
MiraculousM likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 4:46 am

Originally Posted by MiraculousM

I work in the NHS (in a lowly small role and nothing corporate) and believe me.. everyone i have worked with since this has happened holds nothing but contempt for this man and his company,.
Sounds like this whole NHS/Virgin thing is only really a known issue among NHS people. I certainly don't think it was in the national consciousness prior to the Branson statement this week. I had not heard about it, or if I had it would have been a very distant news snippet. It's not something that would have come to mind in association with the Virgin brand.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 5:01 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Sounds like this whole NHS/Virgin thing is only really a known issue among NHS people....
It’s also known amongst legal, public sector and procurement people.
MiraculousM likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 5:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by SteveF
There's an article in The Times this morning (Business section, page 36) which states that the chief executive of Delta ruled out injecting cash into Virgin Atlantic and told Sky News that he expects it to go into administration.
This could be helpful, oddly, because it means Delta won't be an obstacle in a bailout which gives the Government an equity stake, or potentially a pre-pack administration where Virgin Group buys it straight back.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 5:16 am

Originally Posted by SteveF
I believe the quote from Ed Bastian at DL was a little more rounded than your portrayal:

"We’re already at our ownership cap at 49%, and candidly with our crisis with the cash that we need to protect our own business, that’s what our focus is. I trust Virgin Atlantic will work through its challenges with the Government and with Richard. If they are required to go through an administration process in the UK, I’m confident they could re-emerge, there is a need for the Virgin brand"

There was also a well balanced but slightly more optimistic piece from Simon Calder in the Independent:

“I predict that a compromise (with the government) will be found, and that Virgin Atlantic will continue to provide British passengers with something no other European nation has: two excellent airlines locked in ferocious competition.”

I guess it all boils down to the fact that at the moment, none of us know what will happen. In the meantime, let's try to be balanced, remain kind to each other and hope that the circa 10,000 employed by Virgin Atlantic retain their ability to pay taxes back into the British economy whilst providing great competition to BA, benefiting everyone.
Prospero, RoyalSwazi and Tobias-UK like this.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 5:37 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Forbes reports “Delta will not be providing Virgin Atlantic any financial assistance. It is Delta expecting cash: Virgin has to pay Delta $200 million related to their joint-venture, the airlines agreed earlier this year.”

https://www.forbes.com/sites/willhor.../#2cb0f0a630d2
Old Apr 23, 2020, 6:48 am

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or
Originally Posted by Prospero
It is Delta expecting cash: Virgin has to pay Delta $200 million related to their joint-venture, the airlines agreed earlier this year.”
Thar's not great, particularly in the court of public opinion, which can have some bearing on the approach the government takes (rightly or wrongly).
Old Apr 23, 2020, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by Tom London
I believe the quote from Ed Bastian at DL was a little more rounded than your portrayal:
I posted it exactly how it appeared in The Times, apart from his leaving out his name.

Last edited by SteveF; Apr 23, 2020 at 9:17 am
Old Apr 23, 2020, 7:30 am

Do Delta really need to Virgin Atlantic to survive?

Clearly from an ex-UK passenger perspective the Virgin brand is helpful, but they're perfectly capable of serving the UK market with their own metal. There's the rest of the SkyTeam trans-atlantic joint business to serve mainland Europe.

Of course there will still be significant trans-atlantic competition between the three main groupings, even if a minor member of one of those three groupings fails.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 8:02 am

Programs: BA OWS, A3*G
Originally Posted by Dave_C
Do Delta really need to Virgin Atlantic to survive?
No. VS' utility to DL is primarily three-fold: a relatively small contingent of UK-based/VS FFs who are thus more likely to fly with DL, non-stop routes between London and DC/Bay Area/Florida where there are no DL hubs, and a pile of LHR slots enabling DL to sell more (frequent) flights to London. Most of this can be replaced by buying some LHR slots (availability must surely be up and prices down at the moment) and scheduling a few W-pattern rotations e.g. JFK-LHR-IAD-LHR-JFK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.