FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   QR & BA partnership commencing Monday 2 September 2013! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1498483-qr-ba-partnership-commencing-monday-2-september-2013-a.html)

irishguy28 Aug 29, 2013 8:28 am

QR & BA partnership commencing Monday 2 September 2013!

Sorry for cross-posting, but it seems that QR (Qatar Airways) may become a BAEC partner from next Monday..

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...l#post21356055

QR members can earn on BA from Monday 2 September, and can burn on BA from 1 October.

So presumably OneWorld entry is 1 October...

http://www.qatarairways.com/Privileg...egory=Airlines

http://i42.tinypic.com/2nis4te.jpg

Phil the Flyer Aug 29, 2013 8:41 am

Excellent news! Thanks for the heads-up.

passy777 Aug 29, 2013 9:02 am

Also just received this Email so thing are are on the move.

Dear Mr Passy777

Effective 2nd September 2013, Qatar Airways and British Airways will enter into a frequent flyer partnership. As a Privilege Club member, you will now have the opportunity to earn Qmiles on all qualifying British Airways flights.

Qmiles can be earned on all flights with a British Airways flight number and being operated by British Airways.

You will earn up to 150% of Qmiles flown depending on the booking class (type of fare) you purchase. For more details, please click here

British Airways is one of the world’s leading airlines and part of the International Airlines Group. Based at London Heathrow, it is the airport’s major operator with approximately 50 per cent of flights to and from the airport.

A founding member and an integral part of the successful oneworld alliance, the airline has a fleet of 240 aircraft and operates over 300,000 flights per year to over 160 different cities worldwide.

What’s more, you will also be able to redeem your Qmiles for award tickets on all British Airways flights effective 1st October 2013. To learn more, please click here

Take advantage of this highly rewarding partnership and experience the spectacular benefits of being a Privilege Club member.

YClass Aug 29, 2013 9:09 am

Presumably Avios can then also be used on QR from Oct 1....

nux Aug 29, 2013 9:19 am

I find it odd that QR has only added BA to their list of partners, and that they have emailed about BA specifically.

I would have thought they would simply add tables for all OneWorld airlines, and announce them all at once..

irishguy28 Aug 29, 2013 9:26 am

They've chosen to add BA as a partner before the official entry date to oneworld, that's all. (I really don't think it's possible that there will be a surprise announcement between now and Monday revealing that QR is joining the alliance a month early on 2 September!).

If, as seems at least possible, 1 October does turn out to be the oneworld entry date, then all other oneworld airlines will be added as partners.

So why go early with BA? Well, why not. BA is their sponsor, and there is nothing to prevent two airlines from co-operating outside the scope of a mutual airline alliance if they should both wish to come to such an arrangement. (If it was a requirement to wait for alliance membership before co-operating in this manner, then QR would have no airline partners at all!!!)

It just remains to be seen if BA will reciprocate as and from 2 September, or whether BAEC members will have to wait until 1 October to earn on QR, or if indeed they will have to wait until a possible later oneworld entry date, should it not turn out to be 1 October.

themapelligroup Aug 29, 2013 10:02 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28 (Post 21356895)
They've chosen to add BA as a partner before the official entry date to oneworld, that's all. (I really don't think it's possible that there will be a surprise announcement between now and Monday revealing that QR is joining the alliance a month early on 2 September!).

If, as seems at least possible, 1 October does turn out to be the oneworld entry date, then all other oneworld airlines will be added as partners.

So why go early with BA? Well, why not. BA is their sponsor, and there is nothing to prevent two airlines from co-operating outside the scope of a mutual airline alliance if they should both wish to come to such an arrangement. (If it was a requirement to wait for alliance membership before co-operating in this manner, then QR would have no airline partners at all!!!)

It just remains to be seen if BA will reciprocate as and from 2 September, or whether BAEC members will have to wait until 1 October to earn on QR, or if indeed they will have to wait until a possible later oneworld entry date, should it not turn out to be 1 October.

I agree with your point, QR has also started codeshares and FFP benefit cooperation with AA so why not don't allow its members to benefit of BA's network a bit earlier?

1 October is a mystery right now, the importance of this day will be clearer in the next few days. I really hope it's oneworld day!

irishguy28 Aug 29, 2013 10:07 am

Originally Posted by themapelligroup (Post 21357140)
1 October is a mystery right now, the importance of this day will be clearer in the next few days. I really hope it's oneworld day!

Personally, I was hoping it would be later, given the expected "2 months double Avios" offer that is widely expected when QR does join the alliance, as I have travel that would fall outside the resultant October/November promo period...

themapelligroup Aug 29, 2013 10:16 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28 (Post 21357170)
Personally, I was hoping it would be later, given the expected "2 months double Avios" offer that is widely expected when QR does join the alliance, as I have travel that would fall outside the resultant October/November promo period...

I think it's because if they set a date in late October (say 31st) the two months promotion would cover a part of Christmas holiday period.

cazoz Aug 29, 2013 10:19 am

How about earning avios and TPs on QR flights, surely a much more appealing 'metal' proposition for those travelling east?

themapelligroup Aug 29, 2013 10:24 am

Originally Posted by cazoz (Post 21357263)
How about earning avios and TPs on QR flights, surely a much more appealing 'metal' proposition for those travelling east?

It's not clear yet if the partnership beginning sept 2 is reciprocal. For sure we BA members will be able to earn avios and TPs once QR is fully integrated into oneworld.

irishguy28 Aug 29, 2013 10:53 am

Originally Posted by themapelligroup (Post 21357246)
I think it's because if they set a date in late October (say 31st) the two months promotion would cover a part of Christmas holiday period.

Or they could just move the promo period to after Christmas - that would suit me perfectly!!

themapelligroup Aug 29, 2013 11:02 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28 (Post 21357462)
Or they could just move the promo period to after Christmas - that would suit me perfectly!!

I don't think they'll come up with a "double avios on all QR flights who joined oneworld two months ago but we didn't want to make you a Christmas present" promotion

Hyperacusis Aug 29, 2013 11:11 am

Anybody else find it odd that V class, which is a mid-tier economy class, earns 25% while NOQ, which are lower than V in the BA fare hierarchy earn 50%? Not to mention G earning 75% while L earns 50%.

our_kid Aug 29, 2013 11:57 am

I wonder if my existing Q miles can be imported into BAEC at some point in the future