Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Airbus A380: Which are the best seats? Master discussion thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 1, 2013, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
MMB/Expertflyer Aircraft Code: 388

Upper deck

Main deck

Summarizing based on comments thus far:

First

This post shows the seat map and individual seat ratings for First:

First Cabin A380 Seat Ratings
In order of rating:
  1. 2 A/K
  2. 1 A/K
  3. 3 A/K
  4. 2 E/F
  5. 3 E/F
  6. 4 E/F
  7. 4 A/K

Club World Upper deck
  • 50AB and 50JK: the B and J seats don’t have anyone climbing over them. There’s nothing else ahead of these seats, so this area should be fairly quiet. However, the A and K seats ... would have to lean forward a long way to look out of the single window serving this row. Good if you like having a very private space and don’t mind stepping over someone to get out. Bad if you like looking out of the window.
  • 50J for longest bed is the best. However, you only have a curtain between you and the stairs and right hand side forward loo. Should be okay but might be noisy. Partial barrier around feet.
  • 51D and 51F: no half barrier either so very good for tall people and first row of CW cabin so good for food and ease of access to loo without any galley.
  • 53AB and 53JK: the window seats have direct aisle access, so in theory these would be a lot like 64A and 64K on the 744. Unfortunately, potentially noisy.
  • 56B has a bit of extra length but also a partial barrier.
  • 59AB and 59JK: the window seats here also have direct aisle access. However, as others have mentioned, because the CW and WT+ cabins partly overlap at this point, these seats (and particularly the heads of the 59B and 59J passengers) are directly in line with the WT+ centre bulkhead bassinets, so possible noise concerns if baby behind. You can see the close proximity in the photo above for 60 DEF
  • Middle seats: since there's only a single middle seat, it's rather nice and isolated and private, at least while the dividers are up. When dividers go down it's face to face with your seatmates to the left and right. Couples who are using a middle seat will probably be better off choosing EF rather than DE, because the extra space to the right hand side of the E seat means the E and F seats are closer together.

Club World Main Deck
  • 10J definitely winner for the most length but partial barrier around feet and galley noise may be an issue. However, also first to get food!
  • 10A and 10K for window seats only. The rest have absolutely NO view as the wing is massive and all you see is reflecting Silver and a lot of flex!
  • There is a reported experience from 13AB of in-flight vibration and resonances which were enough to disturb sleep.
  • Avoid 15AB and 15JK due to proximity to the two loos that are right beside and behind this seat. (CW loo behind 15B and 15J, WT loo beside these seats although behind a curtain, near continuous use!)
  • General note: due to the curvature of the fuselage, the window seats on the main deck have a greater gap between the seat and cabin wall than the equivalent upper deck seats, thus providing more wiggle room for your legs and toes.

World Traveller Plus Upper Deck
Photos: courtesy of PETER01
  • Bulkhead seats: The legroom in the bulkhead rows of 60DEF, 61AB and 61JK is fairly good, but I’m not sure that I would take these for a night flight as you can still get closer to horizontal in the rows behind. If that’s your favoured sleeping position, the absence of leg-rests in those rows won’t matter too much.
  • Row 67: The quietness of the aircraft will mean that the toilets at the aft of the WT+ cabin are much more likely to be disturbing in this area (particularly to 67AB, 67DEF, 67JK and 68DEF) than, say, to 15AB on a mid-J 744.

World Traveller Upper Deck
  • Centre block bulkheads 70DEFG and 80DEFG have tables in fixed armrests, as one would expect. This noticeably constricts the width of the seat. The armrest between D and E is a conventional lift-up armrest – so if choosing these rows, D and E are better than F and G. Another thing about these bulkhead rows, which are in line with the exits, and the adjacent exit rows (70AB, 70JK, 80AB and 80JK), is that there is a noticeable hissing noise from the slipstream.
  • 80D and 80E are the same and could be great for space or for couples that want to lift the armrest during the flight to get closer or sleep.
  • Rear cabin: any WT seat in rows 80 to 83 would be very nice indeed as long as: there is not a stag group pissing it up here when you want to sleep! Apparently, they may offer this cabin to groups so need to be a bit careful in selecting this exclusive cabin. Also, there is noticeable galley noise in this rear cabin, and it gets worse the further aft you get.

World Traveller Main Deck
  • 25D is the throne seat on the Main Deck in WT. (no seat in front of them).
Print Wikipost

BA Airbus A380: Which are the best seats? Master discussion thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2023, 3:31 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club
Correct. The legs you have to climb over are not those of the person sitting next to you, they are those of the person sitting behind them (if reclined) , i.e. a stranger in most cases.

It may be worth noting that Club Suite in bed mode is supposed to be somewhat longer than the older Club World sleeper seat, albeit your legs are fully enclosed. Personally I'd go for the aircraft that has Club Suite, albeit it is never guaranteed, even though I'm a big fan of the A380.
Old Aug 1, 2023, 7:06 am

Programs: BA Executive
Seats choice and aircraft verification

Good morning all,Just received an email from British Airways saying that our flights seats from Singapore have been changed due to operational reasons.On going to manage my booking, it appears that there are choices for both an upper deck as well as a lower deck. Flight number is BA0012 on the 9th of April, Singapore to London Heathrow. Am I to assume this is an airbus A 380? If so, what are the best world traveller seats to choose as right now I seem to have the pick of that cabin-we are a couple so like the idea of twin seats.

Many thanks in advance for all your wisdom.James.
Old Aug 1, 2023, 1:48 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Juliet34
Good morning all,Just received an email from British Airways saying that our flights seats from Singapore have been changed due to operational reasons.On going to manage my booking, it appears that there are choices for both an upper deck as well as a lower deck. Flight number is BA0012 on the 9th of April, Singapore to London Heathrow. Am I to assume this is an airbus A 380? If so, what are the best world traveller seats to choose as right now I seem to have the pick of that cabin-we are a couple so like the idea of twin seats.
I haven't travelled WT on the A380, but I've seen it often enough. There is a separate thread confirming that as things stand, BA intends to run the A380 to SIN again, and there is quite a bit of commentary that upper deck on BA's A380 is one of the best economy options out there, it's very popular at least. The window seats also have side storage cabinets, quite deep ones, which is useful and when closed the top surface is also very useful. So yes you want upper deck and then perhaps consider POSH, port out, starboard home (a UK centric perspective admittedly). Because of the large number of passengers I would give yourself about 3 rows from any WCs. Use Aerolopa for more guidance.
LCSinTexas and Juliet34 like this.
Old Aug 2, 2023, 3:09 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by Juliet34

Yes that's an A380 seatmap there. I have travelled in this upper deck cabin a few times and it's quite good for economy. Here is a photo of one of my trips in 80K. There is no window however this is definitely worth the trade off due to the huge amount of legroom. It's an overnight flight so a window isn't that much use anyhow really. These window seats don't have a side bin either but again this is worth it.

The toilet's weren't really an issue here either or at 70AB/JK which I've travelled in as well. The row 70 exit seats have a slight advantage in that you're not looking at the toilet door compared to row 80 and your off the plane a little bit quicker however it is a bit busier foot traffic wise as your at the front of economy and more passengers are using the loos there at the 70's but overall it's not really an issue.

Row 20 downstairs is OK as well but as there's 2 of you and there's 3 seats if I were you I'd stay in the pairs upstairs.

See here for more info.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21948492-post42.html

https://www.aerolopa.com/ba-type-38a

KARFA and Juliet34 like this.
Old Aug 3, 2023, 10:14 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Silver, IHG Platinum Elite, Qatar Privilege Club
My experience of 70 AB/JK is that it gets cold at floor level, I put a bottle of water on the floor by the door and it froze!
strowger, PETER01 and Juliet34 like this.
Old Aug 9, 2023, 3:03 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I received a notification that my seat has changed on my flight to BOS next June (my £800 flash sale bargain). It appears that the flight is now being operated by an A380 with old CW, so I've gone for 53K on the upper deck - the side facing away from the sun, direct aisle access, no-one climbing over me, several windows. The wiki says that this seat might be noisy, but it's a daytime flight so that won't bother me. This looks to me like potentially the best CW seat on the plane - anyone know better?

Aerolopa is a great resource, by the way. Thanks to everyone who created it.
Juliet34 likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2023, 11:17 am

Could anyone expand on the "51D and 51F: no half barrier" comment in the summary? Does that mean the barrier does not go down to half? My wife and I are flying ORD to LHR, and we were planning on just choosing seats for free once they open, but we're nearly 2 months out and the seats are already starting to fill up so we are getting nervous.

We're considering 51E & 51F so she could sit forward since she gets motion sickness, and not have to step over or be stepped over. It is a night flight, so I'm not concerned about a window, and I also rarely get up during a flight so I'm not worried about me having to step over someone. We also have the option of 53E/F, but then she'd potentially have someone stepping over her. On the lower level, 15A/B are still available, but I'm concerned about those being near the lavatory.
Old Aug 9, 2023, 11:28 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by sfvoyage
BA newbie here. Booked first BA flights SFO-LHR for next spring on A380 in J. I am a bit concerned about the backward facing seats and wonder if I should spend the extra money to select seats in advance - I have never flown an airline demanding a fee to select a seat in J before, and I don't have oneworld elite status to select in advance. My questions are:

1. Does it feel any different sitting backward, in terms of motion, etc.? Would the "average" person notice any difference? If so, does it differ on main deck vs. upper deck?
Appreciate you posed this question a couple of weeks ago but sharing the info in case helpful.

I tend to suffer quite badly from motion sickness when travelling backwards in a car (e.g. a Hackney cab or people carrier). But have flown rearwards in CW a few times with no ill effects whatsoever. The A380 in particular when taxiing and taking off is very smooth and you’re not as aware of the motion as you would be in a car.
sfvoyage likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2023, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by Misco60
........so I've gone for 53K on the upper deck - the side facing away from the sun, direct aisle access, no-one climbing over me, several windows. The wiki says that this seat might be noisy, but it's a daytime flight so that won't bother me. This looks to me like potentially the best CW seat on the plane - anyone know better?

Aerolopa is a great resource, by the way. Thanks to everyone who created it.
53K is a good seat and not really noisy in the 2 or 3 times I've been in it, well I never really noticed it. I much prefer the UD overall.
Old Aug 9, 2023, 2:02 pm

Just learned of aircraft type change from A380 to 777 (1-2-1 configuration) for both my SFO-LHR-SFO flights next spring. Should I expect more aircraft changes between now and then (back to A380 or something else)?
Old Aug 9, 2023, 2:47 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by sfvoyage
Just learned of aircraft type change from A380 to 777 (1-2-1 configuration) for both my SFO-LHR-SFO flights next spring. Should I expect more aircraft changes between now and then (back to A380 or something else)?
It's entirely possible, yes.
Old Aug 21, 2023, 4:52 pm

Flying to Dubai 2 adults and 18 month old (want infant bassinet seat)

I’m debating 56 AB or 14 EF - both have bassinets
14 downstairs so no window 56 upstairs but person in window would need to
climb over a stranger? Need advice!
Old Aug 21, 2023, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by Mar7nC
I’m debating 56 AB or 14 EF - both have bassinets
14 downstairs so no window 56 upstairs but person in window would need to
climb over a stranger? Need advice!
Welcome to Flyertalk and the BA forum.

Personally I'd take 56 AB. The stepping over (the passenger in 57B) isn't really that big a deal and having a few side bins is handy for keeping bits and bobs.

You could take 14EF so it's a little cocoon but have a passenger either side of you.

Here's a seatmap on Aerolopa.

https://www.aerolopa.com/ba-type-38a
Old Aug 23, 2023, 12:18 pm
E25

Slightly unusual question perhaps. With regard to upper deck economy seating, which is the first row where those in a window seat will have a view of what is below rather than just the wing? 73 or 74 maybe? TIA
Old Aug 23, 2023, 1:18 pm

Programs: BA exec, HHonors Diamond
go for the rear small cabin with 2 at the window ..

Originally Posted by E25
Slightly unusual question perhaps. With regard to upper deck economy seating, which is the first row
where those in a window seat will have a view of what is below rather than just the wing? 73 or 74 maybe? TIA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.