Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Airbus A380: Which are the best seats? Master discussion thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 1, 2013, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
MMB/Expertflyer Aircraft Code: 388

Upper deck

Main deck

Summarizing based on comments thus far:

First

This post shows the seat map and individual seat ratings for First:

First Cabin A380 Seat Ratings
In order of rating:
  1. 2 A/K
  2. 1 A/K
  3. 3 A/K
  4. 2 E/F
  5. 3 E/F
  6. 4 E/F
  7. 4 A/K

Club World Upper deck
  • 50AB and 50JK: the B and J seats don’t have anyone climbing over them. There’s nothing else ahead of these seats, so this area should be fairly quiet. However, the A and K seats ... would have to lean forward a long way to look out of the single window serving this row. Good if you like having a very private space and don’t mind stepping over someone to get out. Bad if you like looking out of the window.
  • 50J for longest bed is the best. However, you only have a curtain between you and the stairs and right hand side forward loo. Should be okay but might be noisy. Partial barrier around feet.
  • 51D and 51F: no half barrier either so very good for tall people and first row of CW cabin so good for food and ease of access to loo without any galley.
  • 53AB and 53JK: the window seats have direct aisle access, so in theory these would be a lot like 64A and 64K on the 744. Unfortunately, potentially noisy.
  • 56B has a bit of extra length but also a partial barrier.
  • 59AB and 59JK: the window seats here also have direct aisle access. However, as others have mentioned, because the CW and WT+ cabins partly overlap at this point, these seats (and particularly the heads of the 59B and 59J passengers) are directly in line with the WT+ centre bulkhead bassinets, so possible noise concerns if baby behind. You can see the close proximity in the photo above for 60 DEF
  • Middle seats: since there's only a single middle seat, it's rather nice and isolated and private, at least while the dividers are up. When dividers go down it's face to face with your seatmates to the left and right. Couples who are using a middle seat will probably be better off choosing EF rather than DE, because the extra space to the right hand side of the E seat means the E and F seats are closer together.

Club World Main Deck
  • 10J definitely winner for the most length but partial barrier around feet and galley noise may be an issue. However, also first to get food!
  • 10A and 10K for window seats only. The rest have absolutely NO view as the wing is massive and all you see is reflecting Silver and a lot of flex!
  • There is a reported experience from 13AB of in-flight vibration and resonances which were enough to disturb sleep.
  • Avoid 15AB and 15JK due to proximity to the two loos that are right beside and behind this seat. (CW loo behind 15B and 15J, WT loo beside these seats although behind a curtain, near continuous use!)
  • General note: due to the curvature of the fuselage, the window seats on the main deck have a greater gap between the seat and cabin wall than the equivalent upper deck seats, thus providing more wiggle room for your legs and toes.

World Traveller Plus Upper Deck
Photos: courtesy of PETER01
  • Bulkhead seats: The legroom in the bulkhead rows of 60DEF, 61AB and 61JK is fairly good, but I’m not sure that I would take these for a night flight as you can still get closer to horizontal in the rows behind. If that’s your favoured sleeping position, the absence of leg-rests in those rows won’t matter too much.
  • Row 67: The quietness of the aircraft will mean that the toilets at the aft of the WT+ cabin are much more likely to be disturbing in this area (particularly to 67AB, 67DEF, 67JK and 68DEF) than, say, to 15AB on a mid-J 744.

World Traveller Upper Deck
  • Centre block bulkheads 70DEFG and 80DEFG have tables in fixed armrests, as one would expect. This noticeably constricts the width of the seat. The armrest between D and E is a conventional lift-up armrest – so if choosing these rows, D and E are better than F and G. Another thing about these bulkhead rows, which are in line with the exits, and the adjacent exit rows (70AB, 70JK, 80AB and 80JK), is that there is a noticeable hissing noise from the slipstream.
  • 80D and 80E are the same and could be great for space or for couples that want to lift the armrest during the flight to get closer or sleep.
  • Rear cabin: any WT seat in rows 80 to 83 would be very nice indeed as long as: there is not a stag group pissing it up here when you want to sleep! Apparently, they may offer this cabin to groups so need to be a bit careful in selecting this exclusive cabin. Also, there is noticeable galley noise in this rear cabin, and it gets worse the further aft you get.

World Traveller Main Deck
  • 25D is the throne seat on the Main Deck in WT. (no seat in front of them).
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2023, 4:18 am

Programs: BA Exec Club
Originally Posted by sfvoyage
1. Does it feel any different sitting backward, in terms of motion, etc.? Would the "average" person notice any difference? If so, does it differ on main deck vs. upper deck?
For the vast majority of the flight you won't notice - aside from taxiing, take-off and landing. In fact, I often tend to forget that the destination is behind me, and the direction I'm looking out of the window is the opposite to if I were facing forward on the other side of the plane. It's never bothered me, nor I suspect most people.

2. Any idea what % of seats are usually left for free assignment at T-24? And, of those remaining seats, do they tend to distribute evenly between backward and forward facing ones, or do they tend to be mostly backward (or forward) ones?
Depends on how full the flight is, and whether seats are preassigned ahead of T-24 (not sure what current policy is). If you have a strong preference, e.g. for the upper deck or a window seat pair, you may be out of luck. Personally I won't pay the seat selection fees on principle - when we've had no status, we've always managed to get seats for two together at T-24. Normally a window seat pair which we prefer although once had to settle for seats across the aisle from each other. Last flight on an A380 we got an upper deck middle and adjacent aisle seat as no window seats left.

If you're looking for one forward-facing seat your odds are probably quite good, given the more private window seats tend to be more popular and the arrangement on the upper deck means slightly more than 50% are forward facing. If it's a popular leisure route some couples will tend to go for the main deck rear facing pairs, though those are the ones to particularly avoid as a solo traveller.

You can always keep an eye on the available seats in the run-up to the flight date.
sfvoyage likes this.

Last edited by marks7389; Jul 24, 2023 at 4:26 am
Old Jul 24, 2023, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by LCSinTexas
Being quite a bit motion-sensitive I have a really hard time flying backwards. Well, not the flying part, but the taxiing part. So I do all possible to not get a seat flying in the "wrong" direction.
But I hear very few people complain about this, so YMMW.
Thanks. When I take trains (mostly in Europe), I always sit facing forward out of a worry that I may get motion sickness if traveling backwards. However, this may be more psychological than physiological, because on occasions when I had to face backwards, I didn't get motion sickness during the ride.

I've never flown backwards though, but it should be better because plane rides are generally more smooth than train rides except during episodes of air turbulence. I hadn't thought about the taxiing part, but perhaps that is about the same as a typical train ride in terms of motion?
Old Jul 24, 2023, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by marks7389
Depends on how full the flight is, and whether seats are preassigned ahead of T-24 (not sure what current policy is). If you have a strong preference, e.g. for the upper deck or a window seat pair, you may be out of luck. Personally I won't pay the seat selection fees on principle - when we've had no status, we've always managed to get seats for two together at T-24. Normally a window seat pair which we prefer although once had to settle for seats across the aisle from each other. Last flight on an A380 we got an upper deck middle and adjacent aisle seat as no window seats left.

If you're looking for one forward-facing seat your odds are probably quite good, given the more private window seats tend to be more popular and the arrangement on the upper deck means slightly more than 50% are forward facing. If it's a popular leisure route some couples will tend to go for the main deck rear facing pairs, though those are the ones to particularly avoid as a solo traveller.

You can always keep an eye on the available seats in the run-up to the flight date.
Thanks for the information. I've also come to the same conclusion/observations by studying the seat maps: there are more forward seats on the upper deck, and on the lower deck, the 2 middle seats may be more popular for families and couples who want to sit together.

My partner doesn't care about the seat direction, and we don't need to sit together. (Being on the same deck would be good enough for us.) The seat map is wide open at the moment (we're not flying till around Easter). I'll keep an eye from time to time. Like you, I prefer not to pay the seat selection fee on principle. If necessary, I'll fly backwards on the outbound, and if it proves to be uncomfortable for me, I'll pay the fee for the return flight.

I am actually looking forward to this trip. I am an avid traveler but not on One World and have never flown on BA. I flew on BOAC as a child from HKG to LHR in the early 70s, which back then involved a lot of stops: BKK, India (can't remember which airport), and one more, must have been in the Middle East (Dubai maybe?). It was a very long and uncomfortable journey in Y.
Old Jul 24, 2023, 12:24 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
I know lots of folks avoid paying the seat reservation fee for a number of valid reasons, but if you care enough to spend time checking out what taken and what’s not, my advice would be bite the bullet, pay them, get the seats you want and move on. Select the upper deck, a window/aisle pair is nice if at least one of you wants a window. If you don’t reserve there is a very good chance you will end up an aisle seat and a middle seat next to each other in the middle section (at best).
PETER01 likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2023, 4:13 pm

I've never flown backwards though, but it should be better because plane rides are generally more smooth than train rides except during episodes of air turbulence. I hadn't thought about the taxiing part, but perhaps that is about the same as a typical train ride in terms of motion?
The seating direction is unlikely to make any difference at all even during turbulence as the motion tends to be vertical and no different from a passenger perspective whether facing forward and backwards.

On a train you have acceleration, braking and the direction in which you're passing points of reference outside the train. In level flight none of that is going to be noticeable.

Even during taxi a plane tends to move rather more slowly and the ride a lot smoother compared to a train passing over points and uneven rails and rounding corners at speed.

The main difference is really during take-off and landing and mainly from the perspective of the passing scenery and inertia pushing you back into your seat or forward out of it as well as any belongings you might have sitting on top of the floor level cabinets on an upper deck window seat (memories here of grabbing stuff in a 747 upper deck window seat before it disappeared down the cabin!).
sfvoyage likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2023, 5:28 pm

There's a reason why crew seats are often rear-facing, even on the smallest Embraer. If there's a crash landing, the head goes against the extra-tall seatback, so no whiplash injury. Even the crew seats in the far back of the cabin have extra-tall seatbacks, again to prevent or minimize the whiplash.
Old Jul 24, 2023, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by AndyPatterson
There's a reason why crew seats are often rear-facing, even on the smallest Embraer. If there's a crash landing, the head goes against the extra-tall seatback, so no whiplash injury. Even the crew seats in the far back of the cabin have extra-tall seatbacks, again to prevent or minimize the whiplash.
Yes I have read that rear-facing seats are safer than regular forward ones.
Old Jul 24, 2023, 6:46 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by AndyPatterson
I would hazard a guess that crew seats are often rear facing so that the crew can observe passengers during critical phases of a flight.

If an A380 has a crash landing, I think whiplash is going to be the least of a passenger's concerns.
Old Jul 28, 2023, 8:55 pm

Quick question in regards to the business class seats on the A380, and specifically seats 15A/K, 53A/K and 59A/K. In lie flat, does the leg room extend out a few inches past the seat to provide a walking space or anything? Their advertised pitch is 72", but I was wondering if that was just for the seat itself, rather than the front wall?

I have the option of flying in one of those seats, or in one of their newer seat models on a 777. As a taller person, I might actually prefer their older A380 seats with the less restrictive leg room.
Old Jul 29, 2023, 2:42 am

Originally Posted by SFOtoDEN
Quick question in regards to the business class seats on the A380, and specifically seats 15A/K, 53A/K and 59A/K. In lie flat, does the leg room extend out a few inches past the seat to provide a walking space or anything? Their advertised pitch is 72", but I was wondering if that was just for the seat itself, rather than the front wall?
Unlikely to make much difference from a length perspective, though the window seats in those pairs do have the benefit of not having to climb over anyone. Exit from the seat is to the left/right of the foot stool, just as it is on every other rear facing seat - it is just that instead of another seat beyond the footstool you have a wall.

A narrative of all the pros and cons are here - 50J is probably your best bet for length, but is right by the curtains/toilet and also suffers from missing windows.

If you've not seen it, the most accurate seat plans are here:

https://www.aerolopa.com/ba-type-38a
Old Jul 29, 2023, 2:58 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by SFOtoDEN
The gap between the bulkhead and the footstall in those seats is just a few centimetres, you can't really do much with it, certainly not walk though it. In bed mode then yes, you do get a bit of extra length there, but your feet wouldn't be fully supported, they'd hang over the edge, or perhaps the bedding can give a slightly longer length to the bed by going over the edge. The other thing you can do in all seats is not to completely join up the gap between the footstall and the seat as it reclines into a bed, this is around the lower thigh so you may not notice with the bedding over the gap if it's not too big a gap. If facing backwards you will still be more or less flat given that the A380 flies with the nose upwards.
Old Jul 29, 2023, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
The length is the same as all others, the only difference is not having a B/J seat starting the row behind which footrest would block your way from a/k.
Old Jul 29, 2023, 12:40 pm

I thought all J seats on the A380 have easy, direct aisle access. From the window and middle seats, does one in fact have to climb over a seat mate's leg rest (if in full flat bed mode) to get to the aisle? What if the seat mate's seat is in a upright or recline mode?
Old Jul 29, 2023, 1:40 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I thought all J seats on the A380 have easy, direct aisle access. From the window and middle seats, does one in fact have to climb over a seat mate's leg rest (if in full flat bed mode) to get to the aisle? What if the seat mate's seat is in a upright or recline mode?
No, have a look at the Aerolopa site to see how it works. Also some middle seats if they are up against the bulkhead have direct aisle access. The seats you identified do have aisle access without climbing over someone, but most seats do require a crab like manoeuvre to get over the seat if it is reclined or the passenger is using the foot stall. It doesn't require much athletic endeavour. These are the legacy Club World seats, the Club Suites all have direct access.
sfvoyage likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2023, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
No, have a look at the Aerolopa site to see how it works. Also some middle seats if they are up against the bulkhead have direct aisle access. The seats you identified do have aisle access without climbing over someone, but most seats do require a crab like manoeuvre to get over the seat if it is reclined or the passenger is using the foot stall. It doesn't require much athletic endeavour. These are the legacy Club World seats, the Club Suites all have direct access.
Actually, I did look on Aerolopa before posing the question on here. It seems to me that, for instance, passenger in 10A needs to step over the leg rest of 11B to get out? Similarly, 10E steps over 11D?

If I am interpreting the diagram correctly, the only window and aisle seats that do not need to step over another seat to get out are in the last row of each cabin section (rows 15 on the two sides, 14 in the middle, row 53, row 59), is that right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.