Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your recent feedback on catering in our lounges [General discussion]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 26, 2013, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
In most of BA's lounges across the UK (LHR, LGW, NCL, MAN, EDI, GLA, ABZ but not BHD), a new catering provider was launched in May 2013.

Unfortunately, Flyertalkers have almost entirely disapproved of the new offerings. The relevant thread in question is here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ay-2013-a.html

BA's Official Contact (BA Executive Club), Nicci, here provides a response to that criticism, which has generated more discussion about the new lounge catering proposition.

Your recent feedback on catering in our lounges [Focused personal feedback]
BA Lounge Survey
BA Lounge Reviews
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2013, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Yes I'd be willing to volunteer for that.
With a free ticket from EZE to LHR on IB?
Old Jul 16, 2013, 12:02 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), SAS Diamond (*G)
In the ARN lounge last night there was not much food left. Indeed, there were more flies on the bread basket than rolls. In addition, there were only four or so moist, brown-coloured savoury materials to apply to said rolls. I wish I had just gone to the restaurant that you have to traipse through, instead.

That experience, added to using AY's little Schengen lounge in HEL mid-morning last week (featuring feta salad, feta salad or feta salad - and this is apparently their new catering), means I no longer feel in a position to criticise BA too strongly for the clear deterioration of food in GC.

Even if GC is better than such places, it's obvious that lounge access in itself is no longer a reason to fly CE (say) without status.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 1:56 pm

Where are we now? Two months on and apart from a few beef ribs, has anything else improved?
I suspect that the level of posting on this thread has dropped as previously suggested, we are all getting bored of feeding back on here as no action is taken.
Such a shame.
Perhaps our friends in BA do not pay as much attention to FT as we thought
Old Jul 16, 2013, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
I'm sure they read FT, but I'm sure they also are evaluating the cost of providing better food as against the amount of business they think they are losing.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 3:05 pm

Programs: BA Silver, MUCCI des Soins Medicaux, Le médecin personnel à PUCCI GALORE
Originally Posted by stifle
I'm sure they read FT, but I'm sure they also are evaluating the cost of providing better food as against the amount of business they think they are losing.
The problem with that gamble is of course that it may then be too late as the effects of devaluing the F&B offerings will not be seen for some time. It's a risk.

With many companies now moving travel policies from the J/W direct to the J/W indirect, I think that for East-bound flights the middle east may offer a significant saving.

When people stop telling their company TA's that 'no, I want to fly BA' then they might realise this was all a terrible mistake.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 3:50 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Yes I'd be willing to volunteer for that.
Eh !?
Old Jul 16, 2013, 4:05 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Cccharlie
Where are we now? Two months on and apart from a few beef ribs, has anything else improved?
I suspect that the level of posting on this thread has dropped as previously suggested, we are all getting bored of feeding back on here as no action is taken.
Such a shame.
Perhaps our friends in BA do not pay as much attention to FT as we thought
We certainly haven't even got ribs in GC - no hot/savoury food at all outside of prescribed hours...
Old Jul 17, 2013, 12:47 am
Suspended

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, Gulf Air Silver, Aegean Gold, M&M FQTV, Air Malta Diamond
I've booked 2 x J TATL on other carriers due to the compound effect of poor on board service/soft product and the lounge food reduction.

I know that IAG needs to cut costs, but they decided to buy Iberia and take on a major cost base problem, cutting services on BA is no way to keep me flying the airline.

BA won't even miss those 2, but I wonder how many others are doing the same and what the aggregate impact may be.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 1:03 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Final 3 Greens
I've booked 2 x J TATL on other carriers due to the compound effect of poor on board service/soft product and the lounge food reduction.

I know that IAG needs to cut costs, but they decided to buy Iberia and take on a major cost base problem, cutting services on BA is no way to keep me flying the airline.

BA won't even miss those 2, but I wonder how many others are doing the same and what the aggregate impact may be.
If you can be bothered, you could write to Customer Relations and advise them of your decision, so that they are aware of the loss of business and the reasons.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 4:56 am
Suspended

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, Gulf Air Silver, Aegean Gold, M&M FQTV, Air Malta Diamond
[QUOTE=TravellerFrequently;21110656]If you can be bothered, you could write to Customer Relations and advise them of your decision, so that they are aware of the loss of business and the reasons.[/QUOTE

A reasonable proposition, but I really don't think CR gives a stuff, from the content of emails received from them over the past year or two.

I read vd Post saying he wants to turn the short haul aircraft into boutiques, then experience two ex bmi aircraft that don't even have curtains between M and C, with seat pitch in CE more akin to easyJet.

I only think things will perk up when a 'burning platform' emerges and shakes the airline up.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 6:45 am

So, here I am in GF for the first time since the catering change. This is my opinion:

Greeted by some one after the lounge dragon check. Actually a lounge angel who after scanning my boarding pass greeted me by name (so incidently did the check in woman).

Prawn sandwiches (2) were nice and tasty.

Chicken Szechuan (an order dish) was served in two dishes; the chicken was lacking seasoning of any sort let alone Szechuan spices. It was also gritty; I can cope with gritty winkles but chicken should be grit free! The wok fried vegetables were crispy but lacked any character.

BA burger. Burger was okay as regards texture but totalling lacking of any taste, including beefburger flavour! This is a very poor effort at a burger. Wedges were slightly soggy.

Spicey beef short rib. Very soft and tender with a nice mild spiceyness. Too fatty for me though with lots of waste left on on the plate.

Cheese and meats. Brie under ripe; milanese salami nice and the chutney a pleasant addition.

Kettle crisps. Will steal and eat later.

Drinks. Guest champagne is Collet, non-vintage. I enjoyed a glass of this; it is a very dry brew. However, I prefer the citrus nature of the 2005 Tatt that's also available. No old world red. Two French whites.

Service was very good. Ordered the chicken by intercepting a waiter and the burger at my chair. Used glasses and food being removed quickly. Lounge pleasant and clean although busy.

Overall, not up to the previous standard. There were some interesting lunch time dishes available under the old provider. Too much featureless sloop on the hot buffet which while I did not taste looked poor. Perhaps they're still working on the contract transition.

As any good FTer, off to check out the working class lounge upstairs!
Old Jul 17, 2013, 7:30 am

Upstairs in the working class lounge it is much busier, with lots of dirty plates and rubbish on the tables and floor where someone has dropped a pile of biscuits and trampled them into the carpet. It's much more crowded though but clearly the cleaning is not efficient.

Did not sample any food so can't comment. However, there are two French reds there and also a rather nice Cono Sur 20 Barrel red which is a nice wine; why is it not downstairs?
Old Jul 17, 2013, 10:43 am

Programs: BA Gold, Etihad Gold, Westjet Gold, Virgin Gold, Hyatt Diamond, HHGold, CCGold, IHGPlat and Ambass
OK, not normally one to moan!!

In the T5 lounge and there are some scabby sandwiches and crisps and the unpackaged cakes! Plus some flavourless bombay potato soup!

Didnt have enough time to go to flounge this time - bring back the little blocks of cheese - a simple request!!!

Yuk!
Old Jul 17, 2013, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
There is something wrong with me.

I do not need to be grovelled at what is essentially entering a restricted-access waiting room. Nor do I imagine I am entering a Michelin-starred dining area. When Boarding my aircraft, I do not expect my path littered with flower petals, nor to be greeted by name.

In fact, I don't give a ******** about any of that. All I want is BA to do is what it does best ... Fly me from A to B safely. The rest is nitpicking, as we tend to do on FT.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 1:14 pm

T8191 - you are a leisure traveller and that makes quite a big difference. I think I'd be much more mellow if I travelled when I wanted, and could plan food/drink etc accordingly.

Yes, of course there are options to buy meals at Heathrow. And drinks. But for people like me who are used to getting something half decent to eat (for me it has often been my only proper meal of the day) in the lounge, it's a big change. I'm not interested in getting Michelin star food - I'm actually not that fussy. But to my surprise I have found that the T5 gloop falls below my not-very-high standard for body fuel.

Yes, I can make alternative arrangements. But it is undoubtedly a step down in my airport experience. Multiply that up by the number of trips I make and it's disappointing.

I don't need to be fawned over. I don't suppose many people do. I don't think there's anything wrong with you. I'm happy that you don't mind the changes. I wish I didn't.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.