Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Maybe CX isn't perfect...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2013, 12:12 am

Programs: BA Silver, AF Ivory
Just flown my first CX sector in business on a 330. Massively underwhelmed by food and seat. Was longing for club world by the end of the nine hours.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 12:14 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
A friend has just done an LHR-SYD return and even stated that he preferred the BA seat over the new cirrus one everyone has been raving about!

(He is 6'3 which may have something do with it and did also say that he thought the staff were great though)
To each there own - interesting though since the BA seat offers less room in every conceivable position and CX offers more cushion and bedding once flat.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 12:53 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by JohnnyUMF
To each there own - interesting though since the BA seat offers less room in every conceivable position and CX offers more cushion and bedding once flat.
Tight feet, is what he said, he couldn't stretch out straight as much as he could with the BA seat.

For him its all about the seat being so big, on pressing him about the space etc, he said there was much more than on BA (bar UD CW seat) but he doesn't care so much about that on night flights when he just wants to get to sleep.

Interestingly, he said the old seat, which he had on a 747 on the HKG-LHR sector was on a par comfort wise for him, he did admit to having 5 glasses of champagne on board though!
Old Apr 15, 2013, 1:19 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by dnajockey
Just flown my first CX sector in business on a 330. Massively underwhelmed by food and seat. Was longing for club world by the end of the nine hours.
I can't remember the aircraft type of my CX J flight (long haul config, not regional). I liked the seat (the new one, like a mini-BA F) but I did not like the food and I wasn't particularly impressed with the service either.

I prefer the CW seat (window, because of better privacy). I always really enjoy CX F though. Cabin crew members are ever so attentive and they always look after me really, really well.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 1:30 am

Programs: BA-GGL, SU-G Agean, G,, Hhonours D, Starwood G, IHG G,
Maybe CX isn't perfect...

Both OneWorld, both good. Be pleased BA is not in Scare Team
Old Apr 15, 2013, 2:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by TrompeleMonde
I love Cathay and all my flights with them have been faultless, but I much prefer BA's business class seat to the Cathay coffins. I do believe it is the best of any airline I've flown (Singapore, Virgin, Lufthansa, American, Korean Air, United, ANA, Cathay)

Cathay's AVOD service is the best - nothing makes that 16 hour flight go faster than being able to whiz through an entire season of Homeland
New CX J is on a par with BA's new F. It leaves NGCW in its dust.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 3:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jenbel
New CX J is on a par with BA's new F. It leaves NGCW in its dust.
Very true. Though if you are very tall it could feel tight for legroom v 62AK, though still better than a regualr Club seat.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 3:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Very true. Though if you are very tall it could feel tight for legroom v 62AK, though still better than a regualr Club seat.
Being very tall has never been an issue for me, I have to admit
Old Apr 15, 2013, 3:56 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
I love the new CX J seats but then I am 5'2". Would take this over BA F anytime.

CX J food has never been anything to rave over but it has never been unedible. I prefer it as there are decent Chinese options unlike BA. CX F food is absolutely fantastic!

CX J crew are reasonably successful at referring to you by name if are you into that. They run an efficient service but are not overwheamlingly friendly unlike SQ or MH.

The clean toilets are the responsiblity of the ground crew at JFK. Looks like the JFK ground crew supervisor forgot to check. Not sure if the crew checks as well but they should do unless it was a quick turn around and they did not get the time. It happens.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 5:22 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Originally Posted by UncleDude
With 130% more seats on a 777 in First class, hence more award and upgrade availability. BA works much better for me.

As for the New Wing versus the Concorde Room..BA wins on this also..IMHO the new First Class Self Service Restaurant at The Pier reminded me of a Branch of Boots, the lighting was too harsh and the ambiance non existent, as for PCs they only had horrible 2 Apples.
While I would agree the Concorde room is nicer than the Wing, although always find service in The Wing much better than the Concorde Room, they tend to smile and seem well staffed rather than people running around not knowing anything in the Concorde room!
My main comment however would be I spend maybe 2 hours in the lounge before a 11 hour flight so the hard product on the plane is far more important to me than if the lights are a bit bright and the one thing I do like is a good shower before flying and the BA Terminal 5 option on this is just not in the same league as The Wing, experienced both this weekend and the BA one is a little embarrasing I am afriad, poor shower pressure and constand drainage noise as always seems to be the case!

I agree fully on the reward and FFP side of things BA winds hands down over CX, especially with Amex 2for1 Vouchers, but I was refering more to actual product / experience than the FFP!
Old Apr 15, 2013, 5:44 am

Programs: BA
I read the 'When Harry Met Sally' comment in the report and had a chuckle about which element of the film was being replicated in their neighbour seat.

Originally Posted by KenJohn
Not sure if the crew checks as well but they should do unless it was a quick turn around and they did not get the time. It happens.
They should definitely be checking for rogue passengers immediately before take off, and decent staff would note the mess and clean it after they get out of the jump seats before the seat-belt sign is off for passengers.

I do detest dirty toilets on airplanes, and feel compelled to clean a toilet (within reason) before leaving so that the next passenger in doesn't think I made the mess. I guess it's because I'm British.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 6:01 am

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
During any flight the cabin crew are responsible for maintaining the clenliness of the toilets and restocking them.

Trust me they would be a real mess if the cabin crew did not do this.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
^

Originally Posted by malkie

I do detest dirty toilets on airplanes, and feel compelled to clean a toilet (within reason) before leaving so that the next passenger in doesn't think I made the mess. I guess it's because I'm British.
Why do (we) British think decorum is a unique preserve of nationhood?
Old Apr 15, 2013, 6:23 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
Tight feet, is what he said, he couldn't stretch out straight as much as he could with the BA seat.

For him its all about the seat being so big, on pressing him about the space etc, he said there was much more than on BA (bar UD CW seat) but he doesn't care so much about that on night flights when he just wants to get to sleep.

Interestingly, he said the old seat, which he had on a 747 on the HKG-LHR sector was on a par comfort wise for him, he did admit to having 5 glasses of champagne on board though!
The champers can never hurt

Apologies also, I gather your colleague is referring to the J seats, I can understand their point, I thought he was saying first felt cramped!
Old Apr 15, 2013, 6:35 am

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
Originally Posted by JohnnyUMF
The champers can never hurt

Apologies also, I gather your colleague is referring to the J seats, I can understand their point, I thought he was saying first felt cramped!
The article that this thread is about was comparing the business product on both airlines.

It seems that so many of you fly in First, you can't stop yourselves always wanting to talk about it.

The majority of both Cathay and BA customers never go near First!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.