Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Any BAEC members ever been upgraded with AA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any BAEC members ever been upgraded with AA?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2013, 7:36 am
Suspended

Been upgraded on BOG-MIA and on BSB-MIA
Old Mar 10, 2013, 10:27 am

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by rapidex
The reason domestic F is so poor in the USA ...................
surely, this wont be the case on the 3 class lax mia on the 777 they fly daily ? they have the fully lie flat beds .... not sure about the service though... we have yet to fly this but will do later this year.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 10:34 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
(and a whopping $7 a drink at that - maybe Elites don't pay - I don't know since I don't fly back there).
Yes - EXP's whose upgrades didn't clear have 1 alcoholic drink (could be hard booze, too) and one snack for free.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 10:35 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by Dave_C
I have to say, I find the food substantially better in AA domestic F than in Club Europe, or indeed Club World on occasion too.
Ditto.

And I really like the new "reserve your entree" option on AA.com. Certainly something BA can learn from.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 10:39 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
There were 16 AA elites on the upgrade list last night for LAX-MIA and F checked in full,so nobody got an upgrade.
You don't know - they start upgrading elites 100 hours before departure. Based on comments on the AA forum on non-Transcontinental flights EXP's are normally cleared in advance and very rarely stand by for upgrade at the airport.

IMHO on meal flights AA F trumps BA CE, on non-meal AA flights my vote goes to CE.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by crazyarmadillo
surely, this wont be the case on the 3 class lax mia on the 777 they fly daily ? they have the fully lie flat beds .... not sure about the service though... we have yet to fly this but will do later this year.
The 3 class 777 is light years ahead of the 2 class domestic F,but it is not meant to be a domestic F.They use an international a/c for some domestic services,and yes it has lie flat beds,no wifi and they give you an Ipad.
Elites on this seem to get upgraded to J rather than F.If you buy the instant upgrade MIA-LAX it seems to seat you in J with J tier points.If you buy SJU-MIA-LAX you get seated in F.
The ice cream sundays are also rather good.^
Old Mar 10, 2013, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by TPJ
Yes - EXP's whose upgrades didn't clear have 1 alcoholic drink (could be hard booze, too) and one snack for free.
Emeralds of whatever FFP get to choose a seat in Main Cabin Extra which has a few more inches legroom.I was offered a drink and a snack last week as a BA gold EWR-MIA.It was discretely done and rather appreciated.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by TPJ
You don't know - they start upgrading elites 100 hours before departure. Based on comments on the AA forum on non-Transcontinental flights EXP's are normally cleared in advance and very rarely stand by for upgrade at the airport.

IMHO on meal flights AA F trumps BA CE, on non-meal AA flights my vote goes to CE.
Indeed,I was rather referring to upgrades at the gate.There was also a standby list that stretched to 2 pages on the tv screens,and not all those got on.
I would agree entirely with your statement about AA F,but BA do not sell an F product in Europe.
Flying MIA-LAX on a day time domestic 2 class 757 I was given a menu which advertised lunch in business class.It was route specific,so I wonder if a change is afoot.
The 2 class SJU-MIA is sold as business and coach,but the 0850 gets an international angled lie flat bed in J.That wins hands down.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 5:06 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by AJLondon
Ditto.

And I really like the new "reserve your entree" option on AA.com. Certainly something BA can learn from.
That's something I should have used on my recent MCO-LAX flight (had the ravioli last time so thought I would try something different).
Choices were the cheesy ravioli or stuffed chicken and they started at the back after giving a few raviolis out. The chicken was dry as hell and tasteless and even the cabin crew mentioned not to ever go for the chicken as it was that bad.

Flying MIA-LAX on a day time domestic 2 class 757 I was given a menu which advertised lunch in business class.It was route specific,so I wonder if a change is afoot.
The 2 class SJU-MIA is sold as business and coach,but the 0850 gets an international angled lie flat bed in J.That wins hands down.
Same menu for me MCO-LAX although the food selection was the same as last time I was given a first class menu on the JFK-LAX flight.

I had that flat bed coming out of SJU on the early flight. Just remember to leave your legs flat on the seat when reclining as they get trapped under the plastic tv/magazine racks when the seat lifts up in order to flatten out.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 5:15 pm

Programs: BA Silver; VS Gold; HHonors Diamond; Amex Centurion; IHG Platinum; Club Accor Platinum; TfL Oyster.
Originally Posted by xenole
. . . and they started at the back after giving a few raviolis out.
Flying AA always remember FEBO (Front Even, Back Odd) to get your preferred meal choice. This is the order in which meals are served on AA. If your flight number is an even number; choose a seat toward the front of the cabin: if your flight number is odd; choose a seat toward the rear of the cabin.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by tooblue
Flying AA always remember FEBO (Front Even, Back Odd) to get your preferred meal choice. This is the order in which meals are served on AA. If your flight number is an even number; choose a seat toward the front of the cabin: if your flight number is odd; choose a seat toward the rear of the cabin.
And watch out for the cute ones who try to get you to swap seats with you so they can beat you to the choice of meal.
Not the same as swapping to allow a couple to sit together.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 9:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, HHon Diamond, Fairmont Prem
J to F transatlantic as both a Silver and a Gold several times
Old Mar 11, 2013, 2:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
And watch out for the cute ones who try to get you to swap seats with you so they can beat you to the choice of meal.
Not the same as swapping to allow a couple to sit together.
AA now allows meal pre-selection online from what appears to be exactly te same menu as onboard. Whilst I am not convinced this works well at least you get an early heads up on te menu.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 3:07 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
I would not call it "poor" - frankly I've had mostly good experiences in a real First Class seats albeit on some ancient aircraft!
I couldn't agree more.

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
AA now allows meal pre-selection online from what appears to be exactly te same menu as onboard. Whilst I am not convinced this works well at least you get an early heads up on te menu.
Yes, it is exactly the same menu choice as on board. I've had a 100% success rate on this, always received what I'd pre-ordered.

I think the pre-order option has now rolled out across all domestic F routes that have a meal service, not sure about J. I've literally just ordered lunch for a IAD-MIA and DEN-ORD which I wasn't able to do a few months back. This is a welcome enhancement.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 3:33 am

Programs: BA, UA, Marriot
Never had a domestic upgrade but have been upgraded J to F on both MIA-LHR and NRT-ORD, both times as BA Gold.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.