Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Any BAEC members ever been upgraded with AA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2013, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold

I'm currently sitting in ORD waiting for a flight to LAS. Check in agent says flight oversold, and there are so seats in first. I am the only Emerald.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 1:06 pm

I was lucky enough once on JFK-MCO. Round the time of the Hurricane Isaac. Was originally JFK-MIA-MCO but all flights to Miami were cancelled.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 1:07 pm

Programs: BA*GGL, A3*G, AF*P, VS*S
I have been upgraded several times with AA but it always took a bit of arguing and/or flirting to get on the upgrade board, then luck of the draw as to how high up it. Anecdotally I had most success when flying on tickets booked as Reward Flight Savers with Avios, not sure why that might be, maybe something to do with what they see as the underlying booking class (P?).
Old Mar 9, 2013, 1:09 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Yes..
Old Mar 9, 2013, 1:38 pm

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
interesting thread for us - later this year got a las-lax-mia-lhr with AA. The las-lax in domestic F and then lax-mia in F (lie flat) on the 3 class 777 , but then across the pond from mia-lhr in business on the angle seats. The ticket booked with cash.

As emeralds, where we would enquire about the upgrade for the final mia-lhr leg? Would we just keep asking everyone we encounter ? Would be happy to upgrade with cash or avios and of course accept an opup!
Old Mar 9, 2013, 2:19 pm

It's happened to me a couple of times as BA Gold, including a very welcome opup to a 763 LAX-DFW. But that is in several years of flying AA domestically.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 2:24 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Amex and some hotels
No.

Been downgraded several times though

Once, as a silver during irrops at LAS (plane went tech on push back) I got downgraded and re-routed. Original was LAS-DFW in J (AA) and DFW-LHR in WT+(BA). Ended up in Y on AA all the way via ORD. (i nearly blew a gasket when i was asked for $6 for a beer). I complained and got a $50 MCO (This was before I discovered FT, where I'm sure I would have got some advice that enabled me to wangle an upgrade to F or something).

Also got downgraded J-Y on a LAX(?)-GRU. I kicked up a fuss and got an on board upgrade back to J (which had loads of empty seats )

I also had a bit if an "argument" with a check in dragon at DFW who manually removed the "emerald" bit from my BC because "the system made a mistake" - she insisted BA gold wasn't even sapphire. I ended up getting it sorted later in the lounge.

Just some reasons why I avoid AA at all possible opportunity
Old Mar 9, 2013, 2:31 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Upgraded to first once on a domestic flight as a BAEC Silver when main cabin was oversold.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by frb98mf
I have been upgraded several times with AA but it always took a bit of arguing and/or flirting to get on the upgrade board.
Why would you argue? An op-up isn't a right, even if you hold the highest frequent flyer status.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 2:37 pm
Suspended
Hilton Contributor Badge

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1_2 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B146 Safari/8536.25)

Yup. From main cabin to first on JFK-MCO. Y oversold and my whole family on 2 bookings (2 bronze 2 silver) upgraded.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 3:07 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Yes, JFK to SFO in December as part of LCY-JFK-SFO trip. Mr Pleb and I were booked in J on a three class service. Had a pleasant surprise when we got to the gate to see our names on the upgrade cleared list.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 3:28 pm

Programs: BA Silver; VS Gold; HHonors Diamond; Amex Centurion; IHG Platinum; Club Accor Platinum; TfL Oyster.
Had a few domestic upgrades to F. Also got the F TPs.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 3:28 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
no.

I once arrived in JFK from LHR in F and was connecting to LAX in Y on AA (don't ask).

I saw my name on the upgrade list on the screen so enquired how it worked (and I did somehow try to drop into conversation that I had just arrived on BA F) and they removed me from the list as they said I shouldn't have been on there (had no idea what it was at the time - still not entirely sure but assume it was the list for those requesting upgrades and somehow paying for them with vouchers / miles).
Old Mar 9, 2013, 3:34 pm
Suspended
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by tooblue
Had a few domestic upgrades to F. Also got the F TPs.
I wasn't that lucky with mine...
Old Mar 9, 2013, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

In the end, it didn't happen. But I still got my exit row, so not all bad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.