Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

British Airways connecting flight - baggage query and travelling alone under 18 query

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

British Airways connecting flight - baggage query and travelling alone under 18 query

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2013, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Hi there,

In March 2013 I will be travelling from Manchester, UK to Mumbai, India as follows:

Manchester-Heathrow (British Airways)
Heathrow-Mumbai (British Airways)

I will be both arriving and departing from Heathrow Terminal 5, I was just wondering, as both my flights will be with British Airways, when I check my luggage in at Manchester will I just collect it in Mumbai or will I have to collect it in Heathrow and then recheck it in again?

Also, I will be 17 years 6 months at the time of travelling so will I have to take any additional documents with me such as a copy of my mother's passport or a letter of consent? I have travelled before with my boyfriend when I was 16 and I was not asked for anything but he was over 18 and it was only a short flight from Manchester-Amsterdam. So I am just wondering if I will need anything this time as I will be travelling completely alone and it is an international flight. I have tried to ask British Airways about this but I got no response.

Thanks
Old Jan 20, 2013, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Hello!

Welcome to FT and the BA Board...

Yes, you can check your bags all the way through to your final destination, no worries.

As for your age, nope... You are fine in the eyes of BA. I am not aware of any additional requirements for arrival in India, but in BA eyes, you are an adult and can travel alone. As long as you have your own passport and visa etc...

Hope you have a great trip. There is a lot of useful information you can obtain from a lot of people on here... Lots of information is in the Sticks posts at the top of the main forum, and of course, feel free to ask questions when you wish.

BBB
Old Jan 20, 2013, 1:24 pm

Programs: Alaskans fly everywhere on any aircraft going there!
Hi, first welcome to Trip Advisor! As far as your bags, as long as you are on one ticket for both flights (you will have two boarding passes but just one actual ticket or e-ticket number), your bags should be checked through.

As far as being under 18 - BA doesn't seem to have any information about anything other than children under 12 or, in some cases, 14. I think your Mom should write a letter and have it witnessed so that it is a bit more official. Additionally, you could go out to the airport at Manchester and make some enquiries in person. Sometimes that gets a better answer. Also, someone here may well know for sure and will post soon.

Have a great flight and great trip!

I see BBB posted just before me and since he works for BA, I'm sure you have a knowledgeable reply.

Last edited by kileysmom; Jan 20, 2013 at 1:25 pm Reason: Late post
Old Jan 20, 2013, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by kileysmom
Hi, first welcome to Trip Advisor!
Wash your mouth out!
Old Jan 20, 2013, 1:49 pm
formerly known as lady1964

Programs: BA Bronze
Hi & welcome to FT!

My daughter flew solo to China last year to meet us there and she was 17 at the time. We didn't do a letter for her but it wouldn't hurt to have your parent/guardian write one. We did that when same daughter went to Sharm last summer with her friend/friend's Mum in anticipation of any potential issues - there were none at all and the letter wasn't needed but it did give the friend's mum peace of mind.

Enjoy your trip!
Old Jan 20, 2013, 1:55 pm

Programs: BAEC
Honestly I don't think that this would be a problem at all. At least in Europe nobody would question this. As with regards to India. I'm not sure. You could try to contact the authoritires if you want to be on the safe side: http://aera.gov.in/index.php

There's a contact us link. That should give you the definitive answer.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 6:16 am

Programs: Latinpass Million Miler. BA Gold.
Originally Posted by crisdean
Honestly I don't think that this would be a problem at all. At least in Europe nobody would question this. As with regards to India. I'm not sure. You could try to contact the authoritires if you want to be on the safe side: http://aera.gov.in/index.php

There's a contact us link. That should give you the definitive answer.
That might not always be the case. My 16-year old daughter flew alone a few times last year. Flying into South America and back was not a problem, but a month later she was asked a lot of questions flying into Germany, and then again on the way back at LHR. The immigration officer there suggested she should have had a letter - yet on the UKBA site there is no mention of this. He said it was a recent requirement.
Strangely, my son, who is a year younger flew back the next day from Switzerland, and wasn't asked anything.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 7:47 am

Programs: BA Silver
Like others have said you should have no problems, with luggage or being under 18.
However I would take a hard copy of your itinerary (others have said it's no longer required to get access into the airport on your return but I'll still be taking ours).
You'll have got your visa etc, hopefully before the price hike.

I am also doing LHR-BOM-LHR in March enjoy your trip and stick around there is some great info on this site.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 8:15 am

Programs: BA Silver, several other less interesting cards...
Welcome to FT rebeccalily25 ^

If you can be bothered you can trawl through this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...guy-right.html

It seems that UKBA can now ask for a letter. They usually do not. There are various reasons highlighted in the above thread all of which seem pretty dubious as the veracity of the letter cannot be proved....

As for the baggage - as others have said, it can be checked through to BOM so you don't have to collect it at LHR. Mention that you have an onward connection when you check in at MAN.

EDIT - have a look at page 12 of the thread. There is a post from an under 18 chap which might help:

Originally Posted by jackowilkinson
Just to add my point of view to this (as a minor):

I'm almost 18, travel regularly, sometimes alone, sometimes with other adults (not always family). I get no trouble entering any country other than the UK, but have been questioned a number of times at the UK border and not allowed in once ( well I was eventually).

Whilst I appreciate the whole minor protection theory, as a minor, it is extremely humiliating being made to sit on the chairs the wrong side of the UK border and be treated like a criminal.

Sometimes a quick chat with the officer gets me back in with no trouble, and usually having my car keys in my hand helps. On time though coming in from TXL I was not so lucky. I was pulled up by an officer, and not allowed back in until they'd spoken to my parents. This whole thing took about 30 minutes and during that time the barely told me why I was not allowed back into my own country or what was going on.

I can't understand why Dutch, German, French, Spanish, Italian (the list goes on) immigration officers greet me with a smile and wave me through, yet when I get home I get treated like a criminal?

Best of all, trying to explain a TP run is no easy task. 'Why did you travel to AMS in business and return on the next plane Mr Wilkinson? You can't have had time to leave the airport'...

I consider myself to be responsible and mature, and most people I meet say I come across this way. Could the UKBA use a little more discretion. Roll on 16/01, no more trouble!

Rant over!
Old Jan 21, 2013, 8:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite, AZ CFP
I'm 18 and I never had problems traveling alone and intercontinental (mostly US and Australia) while I wasn't yet.
I didn't use to have a letter from my parents, but maybe India requires it: my suggestion is to have one just in case.

Last edited by themapelligroup; Jan 21, 2013 at 9:36 am
Old Jan 21, 2013, 9:10 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
At the UK immigration end, it would be useful to have your parent's mobile phone easily to hand so immigration can speak to them if required. If you are on a British passport, then there is very little issue.

The issue has nothing to do with BA but UK Border have checks with regards child smuggling etc where the passport holder is not a British passport holder.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Thank you!

thank you everybody for the helpful replies! I will take a letter in case and my mother's phone number. I have already got my visa which has been approved and the staff at the visa centre said that I did not need anything except my visa and passport for when I arrive in India so hopefully everything will be okay. My boyfriend will be at the airport in Mumbai to pick me up so as long as I take the letter I shouldn't see as there will be any problems. Thank you for all your help! Now I have my visa, flights and injections so I can just forward to my trip!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.