Community
Wiki Posts
Search

T5 losing its exclusive feel?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2013, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by T8191
One should not judge a person by their luggage, lest ye be judged.

Perhaps BA destroyed or lost their Tumi? It has been known.
Tumi? None of that here.

I have a second-hand, dented, scuffed, Rimova...

...or a variety of cardboard boxes! However, I tend not to bother with the string - I use Fragile tape
Old Jan 20, 2013, 1:28 pm

Programs: BA Au; IHG Pl; Hyatt Au; IC RA; Marriott Pl
It felt pretty exclusive at 04:30 on 27 March 2008, but that was before the shops opened and the terminal lost face to such an extent that it took until the 2012 Olympics to prove itself.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 1:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club
Originally Posted by SpeedBird17Victor
is T5 losing the exclusiveness of British Airways, and the eliteness of flying from it.

no comment
Old Jan 20, 2013, 1:35 pm

Programs: A variety of Platinums, Golds, Silvers and other fancy metals.
We have a saying here when it comes to T5. It goes something like this:

It's better than T4
And that's about as far as it goes.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 1:39 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by thundercat

Yes it just looks like any pther shopping mall accross the UK, however, how many shopping malls can you get to ridding in a Pod?
I presume you posted this from a pub.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 1:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold. Kangorucci. NZGE.KLM Gold. VS gold
I had no idea that the pods went to Reading: I assume you are from New Zealand like myself
Old Jan 20, 2013, 1:49 pm

Programs: Mucci Petit Four de Pucci, RedVee's Navigator Badge, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
It's better designed and easier to use than any other terminal I know, despite some flaws. It's almost exclusive use by BA is great too.

But, in the end, it is an airport terminal with high end shops and good lounges. I suppose the concern is that T2 will supersede it.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Fruitcake
It's better designed and easier to use than any other terminal I know, despite some flaws. It's almost exclusive use by BA is great too.

But, in the end, it is an airport terminal with high end shops and good lounges. I suppose the concern is that T2 will supersede it.
Nice for those here who use the Lounges. I wonder what the view is from those who don't have access?

That sort of links back to that Forum attitudes thread. Does anyone here actually know what it's like at T5 without Lounge access? That would really be 'inclusive', instead of threads of complaints about the brand of free beverages in the CCR.

Just a thought, particularly at this stressful time for so many people.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 2:02 pm

Programs: Mucci Petit Four de Pucci, RedVee's Navigator Badge, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Nice for those here who use the Lounges. I wonder what the view is from those who don't have access?

That sort of links back to that Forum attitudes thread. Does anyone here actually know what it's like at T5 without Lounge access? That would really be 'inclusive', instead of threads of complaints about the brand of free beverages in the CCR.

Good point. It seems to me, however, the terminal is good without lounge access. For example, it is airy and bright and its excellent connections to and from public transport, well arranged check in, and the limited walking needed to and from gates don't depend on status. It's the high end nature of the shops that worries me more at this stressful time... I can't afford them, that's for sure!
Old Jan 20, 2013, 2:03 pm

Yep, I'm on first name terms with the Maitre d' at Plane Food. The fish cakes with Harissa can sometimes be on the salty side and I'm not keen on the polenta chips.

V Bar is the best place for a quiet drink or meeting, Espresso the best for views of the planes. (Gate A5 used to be before they put the play area there).

Seafood Bar does the best breakfasts.

I prefer Pret's flat white to Starbucks and the queues are a lot shorter.

Itsu is a good place to eat before a long-haul flight.

I won't bother talking about the shops as I know you wouldn't deign to enter them anyway .

Anything else you want to know?
Old Jan 20, 2013, 2:04 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum Elite / BAEC Silver
I've never done T5 without a lounge, but I have done T1 without a lounge numerous times. It really isn't that bad, as far as I have experienced it. I think it's the type of person who is offended by the vision of 'riff-raff swilling white wine and champagne in the same flute' (if I may so paraphrase) that is the type of person who would be disgusted by the idea of eating paid-for food in a restaurant near the great unwashed...
Old Jan 20, 2013, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
I only reached silver beginning of last year (and now I'm gold!) prior to that I had to use T5 without a lounge as I travelled a lot of domestic and so no cheap CE upgrades (and I didn't think it was worth paying for fully flex just for a lounge).

Without a lounge I did find T5 more pleasant than the other LHR terminals and would struggle to find an airport that was significantly better than it. There's enough variety on places to eat and a few different bars. The spacious feel of the terminal creates a better atmosphere than the older terminals.

I also know some people here choose to eat in places such as Plane Food rather than the lounge, for those that travel so much and are on long connections you can see why it must be nice to eat somewhere other than the lounge every so often.

Too many shops for my liking, but other people enjoy shopping and it will help keep them occupied when waiting for their flight.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by CreativeBill
Yep, I'm on first name terms with the Maitre d' at Plane Food. The fish cakes with Harissa can sometimes be on the salty side and I'm not keen on the polenta chips.
And the rest... ^
Old Jan 20, 2013, 2:11 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Fruitcake

Before I travelled in club or became silver I found T5 a pain, usually in the legs and feet. I have a bad habit of turning up hours too early for anything and the lack of seating at times meant I spent endless time just wandering around aimlessly. I am not that interested in the usual goods for sale and, being of northern origin, object to the prices anyway. I would have been happy if someone had provided a seating area where I could just watch the planes. Once I managed to get into GC North I was happy, a cuppa and a window to look out of.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by kanderson1965
Before I travelled in club or became silver I found T5 a pain, usually in the legs and feet. I have a bad habit of turning up hours too early for anything and the lack of seating at times meant I spent endless time just wandering around aimlessly.
Lack of seating (at the gates or indeed just generally) - tick
Not much space to walk around in between the shops(!) - tick
Certainly nowhere quiet to sit and work - tick

Yes, I can certainly recall the T5 experience without the lounge access!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.