Community
Wiki Posts
Search

T5 losing its exclusive feel?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2013, 8:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: The red, white, blue and silver one....
T5 losing its exclusive feel?

Folks,

Now that Iberia are fullly at home at T5, and, i read somewhere on here JAL are thinking about T5, is it me, or is T5 losing the exclusiveness of British Airways, and the eliteness of flying from it. Will more airlines join? Will it continue to feel special and elite, or just another busy terminal in which a few airlines use it.
Also, surely if BA haven't got the stands (often needing remote), what about MORE services needing T5 facilities?

Just some thoughts, no flaming please...
Old Jan 20, 2013, 8:37 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Well when BA takes over IB - problem solved!
Old Jan 20, 2013, 8:42 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
If my experience of T3 a week ago is anything to go by the arrival of JAL will at least mean some staff in lounges. The T3 lounge had 3 times as many JAL staff in attendance at 1800 than BA lounge dragons. 4 uniformed staff in Galleries club, 4 in First and 4 male staff in the entrance. Overkill perhaps but their passengers seemed to appreciate it and were not being told by tem to go and talk to someone else!
Old Jan 20, 2013, 8:46 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by SpeedBird17Victor
Will it continue to feel special and elite, or just another busy terminal in which a few airlines use it.
Never noticed it feeling special or elite... It's a more modern shopping mall than T3, fairly sure once T2 re-opens we will see an even more modern shopping mall there. I always try to cross it as quickly as possible and be done with it. The lounges are nice though
Old Jan 20, 2013, 8:53 am

Programs: BA Silver
It certainly didn't look very exclusive in the footage I saw on the telly last night.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 9:01 am

T5 has never felt exclusive. It is a rather large shopping mall, with a few jet bridges attached, frequented by tens of thousands of people everyday

Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Concur with most posts above. It's just an airport Terminal, not The Cathedral of British Airways. Perhaps other operators using it might actually start kicking butt and make some of the HAL aspects work better?
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:57 am

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
I always feel special and elite as I take the lift down to A10.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Crampedin13A
I always feel special and elite as I take the lift down to A10.
I value the long walk from the Sofitel to the far end of T5, for CW bag-drop, thus minimising the risk of DVT. I am also fascinated by the numbers of foreign people who fly BA, readily identifiable by their bizarre luggage which often consists of large cardboard boxes tied up with string. These are some of my favourite things.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:10 am

Programs: BA Silver, MUCCI des Soins Medicaux, Le médecin personnel à PUCCI GALORE
Agree, T5 did initially feel unique as there are globally few airport terminals that only 'belong' to one airline. EK and QR I think have a similar arrangement though.

I fear that, like the automotive industry, many airlines will become all owned by each other and emulate the same goals to the point of brand-bland and no-one in 20 years will have any idea who they are flying with.

Hope not though. I liked the environment of T5 being British Airways.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:37 pm

Programs: BAEC at last back to Gold, Flying Blue, Red with the Bearded One, Accor, Finnair Plus Blue
Yes it just looks like any other shopping mall accross the UK, however, how many shopping malls can you get to riding in a Pod? Makes my day.

Last edited by thundercat; Jan 21, 2013 at 11:45 am
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:58 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum Elite / BAEC Silver
T5, with all of its flaws, still beats T1 any day IMHO... I think it also beats T4's new-agey (well, it was back then when they built it) look.

Don't you think T5 is the only terminal at LHR that somewhat resembles a 'modern' airport terminal? Take MUC T2, AMS, ZRH and the new bit of FRA - don't you think that they have a more airy and roomy feel?
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by T8191
Concur with most posts above. It's just an airport Terminal, not The Cathedral of British Airways.
Indeed not. More like the Tower of Babel ...

Originally Posted by T8191
I value the long walk from the Sofitel to the far end of T5, for CW bag-drop, thus minimising the risk of DVT. I am also fascinated by the numbers of foreign people who fly BA, readily identifiable by their bizarre luggage which often consists of large cardboard boxes tied up with string. These are some of my favourite things.
You should actually be grateful it's only cardboard boxes tied up with string. On the way home from MCT, at check-in we saw a variety of large misshaped objects, wrapped up in blankets, tied up in string, being checked in
Old Jan 20, 2013, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One should not judge a person by their luggage, lest ye be judged.

Perhaps BA destroyed or lost their Tumi? It has been known.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Still more exclusive than what used to be known as the British Airways terminal at MAN (T3), we'd have part of the lounge partitioned off for use by Flybe, another part of the lounge closed off and empty, paid for trolleys and plastic bags for security, signs all over the place saying how much shopping you can take on a Ryanair flight, etc.

I wonder what T5 would have been like now if BA had collapsed when they were going through a bad patch a few years ago?

Anyway, I think Iberia need to go back to T3, only time they should be in T5 is if they build another satellite and BA can move all their ops out of T1/3.

Having all the alliances in their own terminals, which is the aim when T2 is complete (unless the lack of bmi has changed this somewhat) was a good idea. You'd then know that all oneworld except BA was in T3.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.