Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Passenger with a broken arm in Exit row

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by Littlegirl
I find these threads that discuss situations that none of us have the full picture or complete information on to actually have an informed view, completely pointless.
I think the thread was started in good faith by someone with a genuine concern / query.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by HIDDY
The question that needs to be answered is if seat 20D on this aircraft is positioned at a over the wing emergency exit?
No. It is not.

And, I use the term "over wing" exit to simplify the door types. We could get all technical about door and exit types, but that will just muddy the water.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
The question that needs to be answered is if seat 20D on this aircraft is positioned at a over the wing emergency exit?
A321s don't have overwing exits. This would be at doors 3.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Firstly, he was not a one armed man, he was a man with one of his arms in a sling.

If he was considered to fall into the category of a 'handicapped passenger' he could not sit there but a sling often does not mean a passenger has lost the use of his arm.

I am sure the cabin crew will have assessed the situation and acted appropriately.

I find these threads that discuss situations that none of us have the full picture or complete information on to actually have an informed view, completely pointless.
Thanks for that. A bit.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:04 pm

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
Originally Posted by londonclubguy
I think the thread was started in good faith by someone with a genuine concern / query.
Yes, I realise that and the question was also answered in good faith using the information made available from the now flying questioner.

The best way for this passenger to allay his fears would have been to ask the cabin crew on the aircraft.

Without either BBB or myself being abe to see this passenger and find out just how incapacitated or not he was, it is impossible to give an answer to the question in any more detail than we already have.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, I realise that and the question was also answered in good faith using the information made available from the now flying questioner.

The best way for this passenger to allay his fears would have been to ask the cabin crew on the aircraft.

Without either BBB or myself being abe to see this passenger and find out just how incapacitated or not he was, it is impossible to give an answer to the question in any more detail than we already have.
Indeed, as mentioned, without seeing and speaking to the passenger, there is no way we could know to what level the arm is useable, or not. And, either way, it would not have meant the passenger required re-seating at this particular door type.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:18 pm

Ignoring all the tangents this thread has drifted off to you and BBB have answered the question perfectly. Op asked if safe and you have both stated it is safe and CC correct. No more detail or discussion needed.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Geek platinum
I'm lazy and have an aversion to physical exertion (there's a song title there somewhere), should I declare this when sitting in an exit row?
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Ignoring all the tangents this thread has drifted off to you and BBB have answered the question perfectly. Op asked if safe and you have both stated it is safe and CC correct. No more detail or discussion needed.
Thanks, Mod.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Joely
I'm lazy and have an aversion to physical exertion (there's a song title there somewhere), should I declare this when sitting in an exit row?
No... But, I can assure you, if I am requiring your help, I won't be asking, I will be telling... In a way I am sure you won't expect the nice, polite, helpful young man who brought you your drinks throughout the flight to be doing...
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:34 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Geek platinum
Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
No... But, I can assure you, if I am requiring your help, I won't be asking, I will be telling... In a way I am sure you won't expect the nice, polite, helpful young man who brought you your drinks throughout the flight to be doing...
I notice you're going to be on the 787, will we all have to state that we are fit and able to operate a fire extinguisher?
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
No. It is not.

And, I use the term "over wing" exit to simplify the door types. We could get all technical about door and exit types, but that will just muddy the water.
I think the penny's dropped.

So you are allowed to sit anywhere on an aircraft even with a broken arm?
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I notice you're going to be on the 787, will we all have to state that we are fit and able to operate a fire extinguisher?
Nope... Not your responsibility... I will have one strapped to my leg on the 787 anyways...
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think the penny's dropped.

So you are allowed to sit anywhere on an aircraft even with a broken arm?
On an aircraft where all the exits are manned by a crew member, yes. There is no restriction.

On an aircraft (such as an A319) which has emergency exits which are NOT manned by a crew member, then no. You would not be permitted to occupy a seat in the row directly adjacent to the emergency exit.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:39 pm

Only if your laziness and aversion are so extreme you prefer turning to toast rather than opening a door ...in which case, do have the courtesy to bring some jam for the toast

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.