FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Passenger with a broken arm in Exit row (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1428380-passenger-broken-arm-exit-row.html)

paulwuk Jan 16, 2013 6:07 am

Passenger with a broken arm in Exit row

Currently sat in row 20 on one of the tiny hideous TLV planes.

In 20D is a young chap with his arm in a sling.

The cabin crew are far too busy stowing everyone's luggage given the tiny planes. Is this legal?

stifle Jan 16, 2013 6:18 am

Is there a cabin crew member who will be sitting to attend that exit? I seem to remember there being an ironing-board seat there on A321s.

If not, then it is unsafe and probably illegal.

Phil the Flyer Jan 16, 2013 6:20 am

Originally Posted by paulwuk (Post 20057731)

The cabin crew are far too busy stowing everyone's luggage given the tiny planes. Is this legal?

Break his other arm - that will get the attention of the cabin crew. ;)

Genius1 Jan 16, 2013 6:51 am

I would alert the CSD/CSM in this case.

HIDDY Jan 16, 2013 6:59 am

Against the rules I would have thought.

I personally wouldn't say anything. If it's that obvious then the cabin crew should notice it when they go and speak to them about what is expected from them in the event of an emergency.

UKtravelbear Jan 16, 2013 7:05 am

Perhaps the CC asked him to sit there (temporaraly) whilst they sorted everyone else out and to stop his arm getting knocked about in the jostling of boarding?

Littlegirl Jan 16, 2013 7:36 am

A broken arm does not stop you from sitting in an exit row.

If this was a self help exit that required the door to be lifted, like an overwing exit, I think the cabin crew would ask the passenger to move but this is a proper functioning door. A passenger with a broken leg could not sit at an exit row because this could cause an obstruction but a broken arm does not cause an obstruction and a door can be opened with one hand plus a crew member sits at this door to open it in an emergency.

Oxon Flyer Jan 16, 2013 8:07 am

Exit row with a broken arm

For those of who thought this would be another thread about the robustness of BA's onboard furniture, a I have updated the thread title. :) /mod

Lioneye Jan 16, 2013 8:20 am

These posts from aeroplanes are the new "I'm on the train" phone calls in the early days of mobiles.

HIDDY Jan 16, 2013 8:23 am

Originally Posted by Lioneye (Post 20058399)
These posts from aeroplanes are the new "I'm on the train" phone calls in the early days of mobiles.

Yes a case of....I must look for a fault so I can post on Flyertalk live from the scene.

exilencfc Jan 16, 2013 8:27 am

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer (Post 20058313)
For those of who thought this would be another thread about the robustness of BA's onboard furniture, a I have updated the thread title. :) /mod

I thought it was about violent seat mates

Behindthecurtain Jan 16, 2013 9:10 am

Nah, its a sneaky way of restarting a TLV must have a 747 thread :D

blindy Jan 16, 2013 9:19 am

Well I hope they asked the gentleman in the sling to move to a different seat. I'd be rather pissed off otherwise. They never let me sit in an exit row. I am blind but I am not stupid enough to know how to throw open a darne door and jump out if there is an emergency. But of course rules are rules.

BingBongBoy Jan 16, 2013 9:23 am

At an exit which has a crew member responsible for it, then no, it is absolutely fine.

If it were the over wind SELF HELP exits on an A320 or A319, then yes, it would not be allowed.

BingBongBoy Jan 16, 2013 9:24 am

Originally Posted by Littlegirl (Post 20058147)
A broken arm does not stop you from sitting in an exit row.

If this was a self help exit that required the door to be lifted, like an overwing exit, I think the cabin crew would ask the passenger to move but this is a proper functioning door. A passenger with a broken leg could not sit at an exit row because this could cause an obstruction but a broken arm does not cause an obstruction and a door can be opened with one hand plus a crew member sits at this door to open it in an emergency.

Whoops! Did not see your reply... ^