Wiki Posts
Search

Passenger with a broken arm in Exit row

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2013, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by blindy
Well I hope they asked the gentleman in the sling to move to a different seat. I'd be rather pissed off otherwise. They never let me sit in an exit row. I am blind but I am not stupid enough to know how to throw open a darne door and jump out if there is an emergency. But of course rules are rules.
With the greatest of respect, I don't believe the issue with you sitting in an exit row seat is in regard to your physical strength or ability.

One of the requirements during the process of opening any exit on the aircraft, be it crewed or self help, is to make a visual check for fire/water/aircraft debris, and, again, with the greatest respect, you are not able to do that. So I would imagine that is the reason why it is not permitted.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
For those of who thought this would be another thread about the robustness of BA's onboard furniture, a I have updated the thread title. /mod
I had actually thought it might be the passenger but thank you for the modification of the title. ^
Old Jan 16, 2013, 9:31 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by HIDDY

Yes a case of....I must look for a fault so I can post on Flyertalk live from the scene.
Surely the OP's post/thread is far more relevant to what FlyerTalk is about than, say (speaking purely hypothetically, you understand), someone who might have a FT BAEC forum posting frequency inversely proportional to the frequency of their BA travel (i.e. once in a blue moon)?
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer
Surely the OP's post/thread is far more relevant to what FlyerTalk is about than, say (speaking purely hypothetically, you understand), someone who might have a FT BAEC forum posting frequency inversely proportional to the frequency of their BA travel (i.e. once in a blue moon)?
Yes you're right...a consequence of having far too much time on my hands and a wife who won't allow me to travel alone.

Anyway....your observations are a bit rich coming from someone whose posts have a disturbingly high amount of content relating to chasing old skirt than chasing status.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Quick scan of thread, prepared to be wrong …

So, I choose 63B on the UD of a 744. An EXIT ROW seat, for which I have declare my ability to do assorted things, in English and with physical ability. Opposite me, just in front of 63J/K, are the jump-seats for 2 CC. I assume, in extremis, they are going to open the doors. So why do I have to be fit, sentient, non-deaf/blind and English-speaking to sit in 63B?

Perhaps it's because one of the CC might have been incapacitated? Just asking.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:56 am

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
Originally Posted by T8191
Quick scan of thread, prepared to be wrong …

So, I choose 63B on the UD of a 744. An EXIT ROW seat, for which I have declare my ability to do assorted things, in English and with physical ability. Opposite me, just in front of 63J/K, are the jump-seats for 2 CC. I assume, in extremis, they are going to open the doors. So why do I have to be fit, sentient, non-deaf/blind and English-speaking to sit in 63B?

Perhaps it's because one of the CC might have been incapacitated? Just asking.
Exactly.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Littlegirl
Exactly.
Thanks - I didn't think I was a complete gibbering idiot.

So "Mr Broken Arm" should not be sitting there.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks - I didn't think I was a complete gibbering idiot.

So "Mr Broken Arm" should not be sitting there.
No... Because an exit can be opened with ONE hand...
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
No... Because an exit can be opened with ONE hand...
OK, I've seen the handles (I always check the direction of turn, etc.) , but obviously never had the chance to try the weight. Or the slide deployment tag by the girt bar. Which may be on the wrong side for the serviceable arm.

Come on, you know I'm being awkward, but somehow a one-armed man substituting for CC in an emergency at an EXIT don't inspire confidence. But then some old bloke like me, with 2 arms and 8 brain-cells, possibly scares CC as well.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK, I've seen the handles (I always check the direction of turn, etc.) , but obviously never had the chance to try the weight. Or the slide deployment tag by the girt bar. Which may be on the wrong side for the serviceable arm.

Come on, you know I'm being awkward, but somehow a one-armed man substituting for CC in an emergency at an EXIT don't inspire confidence. But then some old bloke like me, with 2 arms and 8 brain-cells, possibly scares CC as well.
Ok...

When you confirm your ability to ASSIST in an emergency, that is what you are agreeing to. The exit is a manned exit, not a self help exit. The crew member would either have to be dead or severely injured to not perform their duties. That is the ONLY time anyone would be expected to assist with anything in terms of opening a door. Yes, all doors can be opened with one hand if needed as they all have a form of power assist (baring the 737 I think), and if that failed, then the exit would either become unusable or can be forced open by other passengers. You are NOT RESPONSIBLE for that door.

At an over wing SELF HELP exit, you are RESPONSIBLE for the operation of the exit, not just assisting in the most dire of circumstances.

They are two completely different things. And, whilst the wording may be the same to which you agree, the reality of the level of responsibility you are taking onboard by your seating choice using the example of a 747 upper deck V an airbus A319 row 9 seat, are completely different.

And, yes... You are being awkward
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Awkward, yes! That was my purpose

But thanks for spelling it out clearly, rather than having pages of prognostication. ^
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:29 am

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways

Firstly, he was not a one armed man, he was a man with one of his arms in a sling.

If he was considered to fall into the category of a 'handicapped passenger' he could not sit there but a sling often does not mean a passenger has lost the use of his arm.

I am sure the cabin crew will have assessed the situation and acted appropriately.

I find these threads that discuss situations that none of us have the full picture or complete information on to actually have an informed view, completely pointless.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:40 am

Programs: BA Bronze, GF, EK, WY
I find these threads that discuss situations that none of us have the full picture or complete information on to actually have an informed view, completely pointless.
But the outcome was that many of us learned something we didn't know. So I respectfully disagree with your point about pointlessness

Although it did take the curmudgeonly one to prise it out of you
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Don't underestimate a 737 door.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The question that needs to be answered is if seat 20D on this aircraft is positioned at a over the wing emergency exit?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.