Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Seating Policy Guide

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2015, 7:52 am

hi all, I have searched this and am still a bit confused. I have a BA booking JFK-LHR and have OWS thru Air Berlin Gold. I can select seats, but the exit rows are blocked, I can't even pay to select them. When will exit row seats be available for selection?
Old May 17, 2015, 2:50 am

Question Exit seats query

Hi All - my first post here! I wonder if one of you experienced flyers could advise me?

My wife and I have a long-haul flight coming up. I'd already paid for reserved seating, but the exit seats were released yesterday, and I was able to reserve a pair of these (by selecting the exit seats online and then paying the difference in price).

I was planning to do the same for the return flight when the exit seats come to be released in a couple of weeks. However, as soon as I swapped to the exit seats on the outbound flight, I noticed that the instructions for both flights had changed. Where it previously said something like:

"Change to any available seat at no extra cost" (or pay the difference)

... it now says:

"Select different seats for £30 each"

And now, when I go to the seating plan and experiment by clicking on different seats, it shows me the full price, and so it does look like it would want to charge me the full amount for changing seats - even if I select seats that are the same value or less expensive than the seats I've already reserved.

This is the same for both flights, i.e. the outbound flight where I've already changed my seats by paying the difference, AND the inbound flight where I paid to reserve some seats at time of booking but have not made any changes since.

Does anyone know what's going on?

Will I still have a chance to reserve the exit seats for the inbound flight by paying the difference (once these are released)? Or would I have to pay the full price of £55 per exit seat, on top of what I have already paid to reserve my existing seats?
Old May 18, 2015, 4:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Welcome to FT, chriscol!
Originally Posted by chriscol
Does anyone know what's going on?
IIRC, reports here suggest that what's displayed is a bug, and that you should only actually be charged the difference between what you've already paid and the current price of the new seat you're selecting.
Old May 18, 2015, 8:33 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Silver
Hello.

We have flights in WT+ LGW-MCO flying out on Saturday. There is a 4 and 7 year old flying in our booking.

My understanding is that seats are allocated 5 days before because of the children - is there a specific time 5 days before, or can it be anytime that they are allocated, as they are still showing no seat allocated. (This thread says 72hours, but BA site says 5 days before).

Also, does anyone know what sort of power sockets/supply are on the older 777 plane used for LGW-MCO in WT+ ?

Many thanks.
Old May 18, 2015, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Welcome to FT, chriscol!IIRC, reports here suggest that what's displayed is a bug, and that you should only actually be charged the difference between what you've already paid and the current price of the new seat you're selecting.
Many thanks Globaliser, that's good to hear! Thanks for taking the time to respond.
Old May 19, 2015, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by AdamUK
Also, does anyone know what sort of power sockets/supply are on the older 777 plane used for LGW-MCO in WT+ ?
EmPower: http://www.britishairways.com/cms/gl...uide-Oct12.pdf
Old Jun 2, 2015, 11:40 am

Programs: Miles&More
Hi, travelling on BA Club World for the first time on a paid ticket costing over 3000 £. I now discover after booking that the seat selection will cost me 80£. Is this a joke, I mean honestly, is this Ryanair? UA, LX, AF and many others offer the possibility to choose and change your seat at time of booking at no charge. I was looking forward to my first experience in CW, now I'm scared I'm going to end up in a middle 4 seater section of the 747. I was sure I misunderstood, but BA customer service tells me this is an "additional service" they offer to their customers. Very disapointing!!!! Is this a new policy?
Old Jun 2, 2015, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by concordino
Hi, travelling on BA Club World for the first time on a paid ticket costing over 3000 £. I now discover after booking that the seat selection will cost me 80£. Is this a joke, I mean honestly, is this Ryanair? UA, LX, AF and many others offer the possibility to choose and change your seat at time of booking at no charge. I was looking forward to my first experience in CW, now I'm scared I'm going to end up in a middle 4 seater section of the 747. I was sure I misunderstood, but BA customer service tells me this is an "additional service" they offer to their customers. Very disapointing!!!! Is this a new policy?
No it's not new policy; it's been that way for several years. Just think of it as the flight being £3080 and you can save £80 by not paying for seat assignment .

Joking aside, it's unlikely that you will end up in a centre seat; you can keep monitoring the available seats until the window and aisle seats start to fill before you pay, but even if you do end up in a centre seat it's really not that bad.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 1:42 pm

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
It's not a new policy and is well advertised on BA.com before you spend £3000...

I can see your point of view but I'm afraid there will be little sympathy on this forum; the issue comes up about once a week and we're mostly Silvers and above on here. That means we experience the flip side of that policy; plenty of seats to choose from, and for free.

It's just one of those things I'm afraid.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 2:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VX Gold
Just made a flight+hotel booking (LHR-Paris) in economy and although I was allocated a window seat, it will cost 10 or 15 pounds to select another seat, even though I'm gold. The flight+hotel includes checked luggage, so it wasn't obvious to me why the new HBO rules should apply. Is it the case that any G class ticket has no free seat selection?
Old Jun 2, 2015, 2:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: Silver:BA,VX,AB, QF. Gold:A3,RJ,AZ,GF, EY,SPG,Marriott,Choice, Carlson. Dia/Plat:HH,IHG,BW,Accor
The only helpful advice I can think of to help you is: If you have Miles & More Gold or some other airline elite status, you can ask for a status match from Air Berlin who will give you Air Berlin gold, equal to BA Silver giving you free-seat selection. See here.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 5:06 am

Programs: Miles&More
I understand this is a status issue, and this is great for Status holders. I just find this rediculous for a 4 star airline. I mean honestly who else charges this service...?
Old Jun 3, 2015, 7:43 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I understand this is a status issue, and this is great for Status holders. I just find this rediculous for a 4 star airline. I mean honestly who else charges this service...?
In a sense they all do, it's just visible / optional with BA if you follow SteveF's logic. Luckily getting status on BA is relatively easy.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
I understand this is a status issue, and this is great for Status holders. I just find this rediculous for a 4 star airline.
That's only because you're not even a moderately frequent oneworld passenger.

If you had even oneworld Sapphire, you'd quickly see why this feature puts BA ahead of other airlines in this respect.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 8:45 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Marriott Platinum
Flying with family

I'm flying on BA190 Sunday (AUS-LHR) in WTP with wife and 2 kids (11,7).

Decided to trust BA that families are assigned together, but still don't have seats assigned and only single seats showing in map. Called BA earlier and they said seats would be assigned at the airport.

We'll see how it works out - was enough stress on the wife that I plunked down the money to reserve seats on the return for peace of mind.

Should I be worried for the outbound?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.