Wiki Posts
Search

BA Seating Policy Guide

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2016, 4:36 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by contractor
Hi, if I make a booking on BA as a bronze and move up to silver a month before travelling on that booking, can I go into to that booking and select the seats I require for free as soon as become silver?
Yes.
Old May 21, 2016, 4:38 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Yes you can. ^
Old May 21, 2016, 5:37 am

Thanks for answering. That should save me 400 quid
Old Jun 1, 2016, 9:28 am

Read thru 15 pages and can't find the answer to my question. But pardon if it was asked before.
I'm non-status in OW/BAEC. Recently redeemed a F award ticket with CX. The return leg consists of connecting flight with BA Club Europe PRG-LHR-HKG. The LHR-HKG leg will be on CX F.
The itinerary confirmed the luggage policy is following the OneWorld luggage policy -- longhaul F segment. But how about the seating policy? Do I eligible to request for free pre-selection of seats for my BA Club Europe leg?
Old Jun 1, 2016, 9:32 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by lewisyu
Read thru 15 pages and can't find the answer to my question. But pardon if it was asked before.
I'm non-status in OW/BAEC. Recently redeemed a F award ticket with CX. The return leg consists of connecting flight with BA Club Europe PRG-LHR-HKG. The LHR-HKG leg will be on CX F.
The itinerary confirmed the luggage policy is following the OneWorld luggage policy -- longhaul F segment. But how about the seating policy? Do I eligible to request for free pre-selection of seats for my BA Club Europe leg?
You will be able to select a seat for free when OLCI opens up for your CE flight. Prior to that you would have to pay if you want to select a seat. I assume this is what you have found when accessing the booking on ba.com?
Old Jun 1, 2016, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
You will be able to select a seat for free when OLCI opens up for your CE flight. Prior to that you would have to pay if you want to select a seat. I assume this is what you have found when accessing the booking on ba.com?
Yup... too bad.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 5:32 pm

Hi All,

Do excuse my question - I'm sure it's been asked before but I can't find the answer.

I'm flying CW for the first time in December LHR to JFK. How necessary is it to pay for seat reservations to get outside pairs / sit together with my fiancé? Can I get away with just being ready to go when online checkin opens?

I realise it's somewhat a how long is a piece of string question but any guidance would be appreciated.

Cheers
Joe
Old Jun 15, 2016, 1:35 pm

Hi - I wonder if you experts here could help with what was an unexpected and disappointing aspect of BA seating.

My wife and I booked separate flights (same journey). She is BA blue and I am BA silver. We both booked fares with a checked bag. We wanted to sit together, so I waited until check in to choose my seat (on the mobile app), as that is the first time she could choose her seat. We both used our respective mobile apps to check in at the same time.

I had assumed at that point that we would both have the same choice of economy seats. But in fact I had more choice, seats in rows further forward were showing as available to me but not to her. Is this correct?

If it is, it means that BA Blue customers never have a full choice of seats, which seems wrong. All the BA website seems to say is that you will get choice at check in; it doesn't say you will get a limited choice of seats.

Can anyone tell me whether this is right?

Many thanks.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by john.everett
I had assumed at that point that we would both have the same choice of economy seats. But in fact I had more choice, seats in rows further forward were showing as available to me but not to her. Is this correct?

If it is, it means that BA Blue customers never have a full choice of seats, which seems wrong. All the BA website seems to say is that you will get choice at check in; it doesn't say you will get a limited choice of seats.

Can anyone tell me whether this is right?
This is a feature offered by the new check-in system that is progressively going live across BA routes (called FLY). People using other airlines that use the system have reported this. And there have been recent rumours that BA will use the feature too. Your experience appears to be confirmation of that.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 3:28 pm

So at T-72 for my flight tomorrow to Munich I tried to change to row 1 where A, D and F were all available. When I tried, however, I got the message something a long the lines of 'this isn't possible on BA.com please contact your local office'. I tried again on the app and the mobile version to no avail.

This morning I called up BA and they moved me to 1F. Fast forward a few hours to T-24 at 16.40 this afternoon where I checked in but unfortunately I got moved back to my old seat.

So I called up BA again and they said that it would be no problem and they'd put me back in 1F. Ten minutes on hold later I was told that for security reasons that row 1 had been blocked off but he said he'd put check-in notes on my boarding pass for when I arrive tomorrow.

So what are these likely security reasons for blocking off row 1?
Old Jun 21, 2016, 9:28 am

Hi, wondered if I could ask a question about booking seats in WT+.

I've upgraded to WT+ but it's not clear to me whether it's worth paying to choose a seat or wait for OLCI to open. When I click on the seat-map all the decent twin seats are not available and my only choice is a row of middle seats.

Will more seats become available at OLCI, or by "pick your seats at check-in" does BA mean you can pick from the currently available seats?
seat map

If everyone who hasn't paid to choose a seat yet has "No Seat", then why are so many seats unavailable on the map for a paid upgrade? Or is it the case that all of the seats have been paid seat assignments?
Old Jun 21, 2016, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Welcome to FT, edwardr!
Originally Posted by edwardr
If everyone who hasn't paid to choose a seat yet has "No Seat", then why are so many seats unavailable on the map for a paid upgrade? Or is it the case that all of the seats have been paid seat assignments?
It's impossible to know from the BA seat map whether each of the unavailable seats is occupied or blocked, although it's almost certain that there will be a mixture. If we knew which flight you were on, some of us would be able to take a look at that question.

Of the seats that are genuinely occupied, some will have been paid for, and some will have been allocated to those who are entitled to have free pre-allocation from the time of booking.

Nearer the time of the flight, and particularly when check-in opens, the blocked seats may be released (if they have not become occupied in the meantime). So it's possible that when check-in opens you may get access to one or more of those. Or people who currently have allocated seats may move for one reason or another: they may cancel their bookings (including changing flights), or they may upgrade to a higher cabin. That would free up seats too.

Otherwise, when check-in opens, you would have your pick of whatever is left. Of course, even after that time other people may move or be moved, so that seats which are not available when check-in opens become available later.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 6:46 am

Hi Globaliser,

thanks for the reply. I'm on BA 219, Saturday 9th July in WT+. I'm trying to decide whether to pay to guarantee an aisle or window on a twin, versus risking waiting for OLCI to open.

Since it's a Saturday flight and there is only one flight a day, I suspect WT and WT+ will be pretty full?

Cheers,
Edd
Old Jun 22, 2016, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by john.everett
There is definitely some weirdness going on. Last week we were a party of six; five with bags to check in and one HBO (my wife). The five of us (three adults and 4 year old twins) were allocated seats at T-72 (the twins in a pair on their own with the other seat already occupied ). At exactly T-24 I moved the five of us to two empty rows and my wife tried to grab (and pay for) the empty one without success; it took three further moves of the five before it was possible even though I could still see the spare seats as empty .
Old Jun 22, 2016, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by edwardr
I'm on BA 219, Saturday 9th July in WT+. I'm trying to decide whether to pay to guarantee an aisle or window on a twin, versus risking waiting for OLCI to open.

Since it's a Saturday flight and there is only one flight a day, I suspect WT and WT+ will be pretty full?
For those of us who don't have all of BA's timetable memorised, BA219 is LHR-DEN.

It's impossible to generalise the likely busy-ness of the flight just from the day of the week and the number of flights a day. However, as it happens that flight is extremely busy as things currently stand.

Here's the current seat map for WT+, including the legend so you can see which seats are blocked and which are occupied:-
Code:
Seat Map Search:
Departing LHR on 09/07/16 for DEN
Flying BA flight 219 in Premium Economy

A   B       D   E   F   G       J   K   
11                                      +   X       
12      +   -       +   +   X   +       -   -       
13      -   -       -   +   +   -       -   -       
14      -   +       -   -   -   -       -   -       
15      -   -       +   +   +   +       -   +       
16      L   L                           -   -       
        A   B       D   E   F   G       J   K   

Seats
Premium Only             P                        
Available                +                        
Handicap-Accessible      H                        
Paid & Premium           #                        
Occupied                 -                        
Blocked                  X                        
Lavatory                 L                        
Paid                     $

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.