Wiki Posts
Search

BA Seating Policy Guide

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2016, 10:37 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by model_un
Will do. Question, should I update the profile in AY, or when I log back into BA, will it ask again if I have a FF number?
Either BA or AY sites. I don't think it matters. Probably try adding it in ba.com first and see what happens.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 1:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, 6C AMB, HH Silver
Originally Posted by KARFA
Either BA or AY sites. I don't think it matters. Probably try adding it in ba.com first and see what happens.
So... still working on this... BA is still showing the AA number... Even though it was removed in the AY portal. I went ahead and registered with AY and entered this in the AY portal. Waiting to see if this gets updated in BA. Fingers crossed.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 3:19 pm

So... still working on this... BA is still showing the AA number... Even though it was removed in the AY portal. I went ahead and registered with AY and entered this in the AY portal. Waiting to see if this gets updated in BA. Fingers crossed.
UPDATE... I was able to get BA to switch the FF number to the AY number. I then went back to AY and switched back to AA. Waited a while and went back to BA. And it is now showing AA again. I went to change my seat and nothing... Still only showing my current seat and one other one.

Of course, I just went to ExpertFlyer and the seat I wanted 62A is now occupied.

Going to call the ticket office... and try my luck with them.

When do they release the "bassinet" seats?

I would really like to not have someone walking over me or for me to have to walk over someone... is this too much to ask? This is an "experience" flight. Work with me folks!

FF
Attached Images  
Old Aug 24, 2016, 5:02 pm

UPDATE 2: Just to add. Broke down and called BA.

1) When I asked to confirm that my AA FF was in the system, he said it was NOT and asked that I provide it. NOW I entered this information when I did the booking... how would he not see this? Possible?

2) When I asked if my Platinum status was visible, he answered yes.

3) When I asked about seat availability in the UD, he stated exactly what I was seeing on BA.com, only 60B and 63A. He then says, that if I want that seat, I would have to pay USD$122, I then told him that I had already paid for the seat I had 63A.

4) I asked him about the bassinet seat in 64A. He said that it was still showing as available, but that it was being held. I asked when it might become available and he said something like 24 hours prior, but that I might be bumped for a parent travelling with a kiddo.

So... there you have it... one anecdotal reference regarding Platinum/Sapphire saga and seat selection.

Am I missing something? Here is the expertflyer snapshot...

Thanks again folks.

FF
Attached Images  
Old Sep 1, 2016, 1:18 am

Programs: BA Gold, BMI, ANA, HH Blue, SPG Gold
I have pre-assigned seating on a 777 for my family, which includes an infant, so mother, baby and toddler are sitting in bulkhead with Bassinet, but father has to sit behind with rest of party.

Presently although there is a bulkhead seat adjacent to his wife and daughters, BA ae saving it in case other's require bassinet seats. At what point could this seat become available to the father, should there be no other bassinet requirements?
Old Sep 1, 2016, 1:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
UPDATE 2: Just to add. Broke down and called BA.

1) When I asked to confirm that my AA FF was in the system, he said it was NOT and asked that I provide it. NOW I entered this information when I did the booking... how would he not see this? Possible?

2) When I asked if my Platinum status was visible, he answered yes.

3) When I asked about seat availability in the UD, he stated exactly what I was seeing on BA.com, only 60B and 63A. He then says, that if I want that seat, I would have to pay USD$122, I then told him that I had already paid for the seat I had 63A.

4) I asked him about the bassinet seat in 64A. He said that it was still showing as available, but that it was being held. I asked when it might become available and he said something like 24 hours prior, but that I might be bumped for a parent travelling with a kiddo.

So... there you have it... one anecdotal reference regarding Platinum/Sapphire saga and seat selection.

Am I missing something? Here is the expertflyer snapshot...

Thanks again folks.

FF
I believe not all seats are assignable to silver/sapphire. Many are gold/emerald only and only released to all at check in.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
You are unlikely to be given a central seat
Thanks for the welcome.

I got a nice window seat in the 747 just by asking for it in the check-in...this was after my original flight was cancelled and I was rebooked to another flight departing 45 minutes earlier. They even had space in the upper deck but of course I didn't understand to ask for a seat up there.

Because of the cancellation I had to call BA and Finnair (ticket bought from Finnair, JFK-LHR operated by BA) customer service two or three times each, costing me about 160€ in international calls. Both refused to issue a new ticket ("Finnair has to issue it", "No, BA has to issue it"...), but that's another story.

BA did reimburse the calls in full though and apologized for all the trouble, which was nice.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 5:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: Silver:BA,VX,AB, QF. Gold:A3,RJ,AZ,GF, EY,SPG,Marriott,Choice, Carlson. Dia/Plat:HH,IHG,BW,Accor
(posted wrongly in another thread - and here is the correct place.)

Emergency Exit rows - can silver members choose these free? I can on domestic, and also euro traveller, but long haul, I'm looking at my award booking tlv lhr, it says 63 quid for exit row.
Is this normal? Or a recent enhancement? And will it be free within 24 hours of flight?

Thanks.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by benberg2013
(posted wrongly in another thread - and here is the correct place.)

Emergency Exit rows - can silver members choose these free? I can on domestic, and also euro traveller, but long haul, I'm looking at my award booking tlv lhr, it says 63 quid for exit row.
Is this normal? Or a recent enhancement? And will it be free within 24 hours of flight?

Thanks.
Before as a silver I think you couldn't select them at all until 72 hrs before the flight. Now you can pay for them if you want to before they are released.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 2:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by benberg2013
Before as a silver I think you couldn't select them at all until 72 hrs before the flight. Now you can pay for them if you want to before they are released.
On long-haul, it used to be that Silvers could pay for economy and WT+ exit row seats during the window starting from 14 days before the flight until 4 days before the flight. However, this was simply the same window as for Bronzes, Blues and non-status passengers.

The latter part has not changed, but AIUI it is now possible for these passengers to pay for an exit row seat at any time from the time of booking.

At some stage, the relevant post in this thread (linked to from the wikipost) will need an update on this point.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 2:26 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
On long-haul, it used to be that Silvers could pay for economy and WT+ exit row seats during the window starting from 14 days before the flight until 4 days before the flight. However, this was simply the same window as for Bronzes, Blues and non-status passengers.
Ah, 14 days. Sorry, I knew there was some point where you could pay.
Old Sep 10, 2016, 11:16 am

Just booked flights from LON to the US in just over a month - in J. Am gold so could select seats at time of booking.

However, there was no window seat (my preference as flying solo) in the upper deck of A380 - thus I have selected a window seat on the lower deck for now. Question is whether some of these window seats on the upper deck may be available closer to departure date? Or, what I saw would not change much between now and departure date? I don't know if BA blocked some window seats for now and release them later?

Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 2:43 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, &c.
(Apologies if I am in the wrong seating thread.)

Can a Gold no longer TCP someone on a separate booking and put the non-Gold person in row 1 in Club Europe? Is this a recent enhancement, or just wrong info from the call center?

Or, perhaps a follow-up question, can one not TCP flights if they are booked under a non-BA flight number? Both my Gold partner and I have separate bookings; both contain a mix of AA and BA flights; both apparently booked under the AA numbers.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by turnleftbrighteyes
(Apologies if I am in the wrong seating thread.)

Can a Gold no longer TCP someone on a separate booking and put the non-Gold person in row 1 in Club Europe? Is this a recent enhancement, or just wrong info from the call center?

Or, perhaps a follow-up question, can one not TCP flights if they are booked under a non-BA flight number? Both my Gold partner and I have separate bookings; both contain a mix of AA and BA flights; both apparently booked under the AA numbers.
On the first question yes you still can, I did it a few months ago and haven't heard anything to say this is no longer possible. The agent can do they TCP on the phone, but the actual seat request will get sent to the back office for processing and take a few days.

Not sure if they are booked under AA codeshare though.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 5:11 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, &c.
On the first question yes you still can, I did it a few months ago and haven't heard anything to say this is no longer possible. The agent can do they TCP on the phone, but the actual seat request will get sent to the back office for processing and take a few days.

Not sure if they are booked under AA codeshare though.
Thanks, KARFA. The agent seemed quite insistent that row 1 was only for Golds. But I will update this in a few days either way. I'm looking forward to scrounging as many Gold benefits off my traveling companion as possible (yay Flounge.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.