Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Photographs from your BA travels

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2023, 8:07 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Exeter, July 2023

Flew BA IAD-LHR, took GWR to EXD and back the same way. Stayed at the Holiday Inn Express Exeter City Centre.

Tudor House, Tudor Street, opposite hotel.

View of the River Exe from hotel room. The Medieval Exe Bridge is behind the trees in the middle.

View of Exeter from Haldon Forest Park. Can see the John Lewis car park, and the towers of Exeter Cathedral if you know where to look...

Sidmouth
Old Aug 18, 2023, 1:40 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold) , Accor (Gold) , IHG
Duplicate
Old Aug 18, 2023, 1:41 pm

Are these vehicles unique to IAD?

camdentown and RockyRobin like this.
Old Aug 18, 2023, 2:25 pm

#1683 Delboy
, What are these funny looking vehicles, what do they do?
Old Aug 18, 2023, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by AmaaiZeg
#1683 Delboy
, What are these funny looking vehicles, what do they do?
transit vehicles between the main and satellite terminals... but there IS also a transit train
AmaaiZeg likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2023, 3:48 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Ah, the 'mobile lounges', as they like to call them (i.e. buses on stilts). I believe when they were introduced they were used at other (US) airports, but IAD is - as far as I know - the only place they're used now. Essentially you get the train (or walk) to the terminal for departures, but for international arrivals you get chaperoned (briefly along the terminal margins) to board these that whisk (not!) you to the immigration/customs hall. Many years ago, I seem to remember using them to directly disembark from the aircraft. I think some are currently being refurbished/upgraded... .
Old Sep 1, 2023, 10:03 pm
H2L

Programs: BAEC GGL
Originally Posted by CKBA
Ah, the 'mobile lounges', as they like to call them (i.e. buses on stilts). I believe when they were introduced they were used at other (US) airports, but IAD is - as far as I know - the only place they're used now. Essentially you get the train (or walk) to the terminal for departures, but for international arrivals you get chaperoned (briefly along the terminal margins) to board these that whisk (not!) you to the immigration/customs hall. Many years ago, I seem to remember using them to directly disembark from the aircraft. I think some are currently being refurbished/upgraded... .
Yes I remember encountering these lumbering beasts in April 2015, landing at IAD. Blew my tiny little mind..
Old Sep 1, 2023, 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by CKBA
Ah, the 'mobile lounges', as they like to call them (i.e. buses on stilts). I believe when they were introduced they were used at other (US) airports, but IAD is - as far as I know - the only place they're used now.
I believe these came from YMX which was designed, as many things in Quebec following ideas coming from France which never really caught on anywhere else. The idea was that planes were going to get bigger and bigger and having gates for each plane was going to be less and less practical. So instead the idea was to have a small number of gates close together take the passengers to the planes elsewhere. It was one of many terrible ideas at YMX and far from the worst.
Old Sep 1, 2023, 10:14 pm
H2L

Programs: BAEC GGL
Wasn't sure if this should go in this thread or Where in the World... I don't know if this is very easy or whether mountain views like this are quite generic... It's my first close up like this so hope it is ok to share... Answer - if needed - in 24 hours.

Edit : this was of course Mt Rainier in Washington State. We seemed to use it like a slingshot as we flew from Seattle to Salt Lake City. Was transfixed by its approach...
TTmex, Robert279 and Delboy65 like this.

Last edited by H2L; Sep 9, 2023 at 7:49 am Reason: Update
Old Sep 2, 2023, 2:17 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Recently spent a weekend in London

St Paul’s

London Eye and Moon

South Bank

Canary Wharf
Old Sep 9, 2023, 7:04 am

Programs: BA Gold
When flying to Scandinavia - have a pre-Scandi experience at the ScandiKitchen in London (if have a layover in LHR of course!). Certainly beats the BA breakfast in economy!

Just next to the BBC is All Souls Langham Place - always thought it was a small spire on top of a colonnade, but no, the colonnade has be plonked on top of the spire.

Aunty Beeb herself - no celebs to be seen though.

And just off Cavendish Sq - The Medical Society of London... .

Managed this with a planned 6.5 hr layover, which turned into 5 hours due to not being able to exit the plan (duh!), 35 mins 'Liz Line to Bond St, about an hour+half there and 35 mins back. Easy... .
The _Banking_Scot and H2L like this.
Old Sep 9, 2023, 9:31 am
Suspended

Programs: BAEC GOLD, AS,AA,HILTON,IHG
I fear the lovely hotel I so enjoyed in Marrakesh's Medina is no more...

Old Sep 13, 2023, 8:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Piraeus, waiting at 5am to board.

Don’t think they have 10 boarding groups!
H2L likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 8:23 pm

Programs: KLM, BA Silver, Etihad

Queensboro Bridge

9/11 anniversary evening

9/11 anniversary evening

High Line

You travel several thousand miles and you find this in the toilet of your hotel. A team less than 3 miles from your house..

The New Yorker hotel

New Jersey
Old Sep 14, 2023, 1:51 am

One from a bus trip round LHR. Had a GLA-LHR-LYS return for the rugby and went 4/4 for bus gates.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.