Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CONFIRMED: BA B787 & A380 layouts

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2012, 5:20 am

Originally Posted by onaswan
Exactly. I have been prevented from venturing upstairs (from a downstairs seat) for "security reasons". But while in an UD seat have wandered around (up and down stairs) unimpeded.
Yes, I was stopped going up while strolling round the aeroplane, or rather I got up the stairs but was then collected and booted down!
Old Dec 11, 2012, 5:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Only customers on the upper deck have access to the stairs.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 5:52 am

I'd like to christen the middle Club seat 'the coffin', if no-one's already done so .

Regarding seats on which deck on the A380, I think it's pretty obvious: BA will be able to charge a premium for upper deck seat selection (just as they do on 747s today). Given they can't do this for F as it's all free for them anyway, and, the lower deck width lends itself better to the 1:2:1 F layout, I can see why CW and WT are split across both decks. I guess it's too inefficient to have two WT+ cabins but I see it makes sense to have that cabin all upstairs for a minor air of exclusivity above WT.

Pretty canny revenue-raiser. If I'm travelling in WT (or CW for that matter), didn't have status and knew I was on an A380, I'd definitely pay a small premium to sit upstairs.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 6:18 am

Programs: BA- blue, BD,DL
CONFIRMED: BA B787 & A380 layouts

Good news : larger F suite. The seats do not overlap according to the diagram and there is a large table/cupboard at each seat.

Bad news : Thomson 787 will be better in economy than BA. 3-3-3 but they have 33" pitch.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
No sidewall lighting so hopefully a bit darker especially during service periods.
Bet that they will put in an extra-bight lamp or two just over the middle seat though!

Like this:
Old Dec 11, 2012, 6:48 am

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
Is the upper deck of the A380 narrower than the 787?

It's interesting that CW and WT+ are 2x3x2 on both and yet they have crammed extra 3x3x3 seats into Y on the 787.

I was half expecting the upper deck to be 3x3x3 as well.

Shame they didn't keep consistency and have 2x4x2 on both 787 and A380.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 6:53 am

Programs: BA-GGL, SU-G Agean, G,, Hhonours D, Starwood G, IHG G,
Originally Posted by rossmacd
The sad thing is, BA is not promoting new aircraft in the fleet as premium, and have decided to go for very mediocre placement in the market. That does sum BA up at the moment - only aspiring to be middle of the road.
But that is what BA's Market is. The bulk of their money comes from Transatlantic, they are a class above the competition there. Middle of the road against everyone is still the best against UA, AA & DL on those routes. As well as this there is the matter of what people will pay. If the hard product is made best in class, someone has to pay, and that someone is us. Would everyone pay 33% more so BA can remove a row of seats? I dont think so, as companies would migrate to VS, UA & AA.

Plus to be fair to BA Club World is a good product as is New First, espcially with space and storage tweaks. Or it is to someone like me who tries to travel overnight when possible to maximise useable time, so does not give a monkeys about the table cloth, the food or wine and just needs a comfortable quiet environment to sleep on a reliable plane. The A380 and 787 both give this by being quieter, higher humidity and better air pressure and not being 1950's designed with aincient technology should be much more relable.

And before anyone says it, i am no BA apologist, and give them scathing critisism where i feel they deserve it (reliability, downgrading me etc) and only fly BA about 30% of the time.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you
Only customers on the upper deck have access to the stairs.
So F class pax won't be allowed a wander upstairs?
Old Dec 11, 2012, 7:13 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by ian001
I think splitting CW between the two decks is a better option. A 97 seat CW cabin on one deck of the A380 would be horrific.
Yes this makes sense - the upper deck J on the EK A380 is never ending - however very poor show in F as the toilets look like the 'bog standard offering' the worst thing about flying! I was hoping for and expecting some inovation here, like EK F, not necessarily showers, but at least some decent space to change in. Couple this with no C terminal lounges, its all a bit dull - looking forward to experiencing the 469pax bun fight at the gate!
Old Dec 11, 2012, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by London_traveller
I'd like to christen the middle Club seat 'the coffin', if no-one's already done so .
The first coffin reference I can recall is this instance by opalfruit.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 7:24 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, AS Gold MVP, IC RA, IHG Spire Elite, HH Diamond, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Originally Posted by evanderm
The first coffin reference I can recall is this instance by opalfruit.
I might need to get a FlyerTalk TradeMark on that term if usage gets too high. I should get royalties or something!
Old Dec 11, 2012, 7:31 am

Programs: BAEC: SILVER. BMIDC SILVER
No surprises.

It's not a 'premium' product, it's an addition to the fleet. BA would have configured the layout in accordance with operational reasons and, most importantly, cost/revenue.

There is certainly no 'premium' feel to J on upper deck of SQ A380 (over and above other planes). It actually feels like you're on a 777.

Upper deck of 744, it ain't.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 7:36 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Amex and some hotels
Originally Posted by Carfield
It is shocking to hear that they have no plan for premium lounges at Satellite C. You are basically parking these "premium" planes all at Satellite C but not having the facilities to go with it is a bad decision. For first class passengers, they will have to leave the lounge 45 to 60 minutes prior to departure time to get from the Concord Room to Satellite C for their supposedly A380 premium experience. It makes zero sense to me. Even if they use Satellite B lounge, passengers will need to allocate extra fifteen minutes to get over to C.

Carfield
I assume that if there is any hint of boarding delay, F pax will be advised to wait in the CCR.

Is it even possible that F pax will be driven directly from the CCR to the plane once boarding is actually open?

It's not a long journey, and no real schlep, but haven't we all gone to B or C in the past only to find a 20 or 30 minute delay on boarding? With a 380 or two's pax load waiting to board, there will be no seating available, just standing room only. Starbucks vouchers will involve a queue of some stature, so pointless. Hardly the way to treat J pax, let alone F.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 7:46 am

Programs: BAEC
Not that it's bad, but BA have been able to get away with their hard product for a long time. Many airlines have taken a lot of time to play catch up.

But I fear BA are being squeezed at an ever increasing rate. AA's upcoming business class offering (which has already been rolling out on CX) will put further pressure on BA. AA is right in BA's front yard, and I have avoided AA's business class because of the hard product - this may very well change when the new aircraft are in the fleet. A couple of years ago LH's hard products in F and J were IMO a borderline joke - today, not so.

I believe the only way BA will be able to keep this up is if they begin to invest in a superb soft product. The hard products can only really evolve so much anyway, I doubt we'll see anything as game changing as CW was in 2000 for quite a while.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by BApilotinsider
British Airways will announce the routes the new aircraft will operate in Spring 2013.
Any speculation on the 787 routes? Will the new deliveries be one for one replacements for the old 767s and their routes? Presumably they will have to get progressively retired or upguaged with 772s at some point. Would be nice to get some new metal (or plastic) on the Cayman route.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.