Wiki Posts
Search

CONFIRMED: BA B787 & A380 layouts

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2012, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by whatisfirst
It might just be my eyesight, but the WT cabin on the lower deck (199 seats) has only two loos !! 4 lavatories appear to be shared between the WT and WTP cabins (159 passengers) on the upper deck.

Even assuming passengers will go up and down the stairs in a no-doubt futile attempt to find an empty lavatory, I think there will be a lot of leg-crossing on the lower deck.
The depiction of service areas (toilets and galleys) is not accurate on the diagrams published.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The 787 looks good for CW and WT+. I like the "middle" CW seat as it will be super private for a good nights sleep.

The A380 looks fine. Nothing special other than the reputedly very quiet cabin which is something to celebrate when you consider how noisy the 777 is aft of door 2.

As for the lack of lounge in C. Even when relaxed and refreshed in the CCR I can get to the furthest gate in less than 20mins and walk straight on the plane. It's not ideal, but hardly a big problem.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 2:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
3-3-3 has one advantage over 2-4-2: passengers experience a guaranteed empty seat next to them at 67% seat factor or below. With 2-4-2 the critical seat factor is 50%. And planes are more likely to be 51% full then 68%.
Come on that is stretching a bit. Plus your 'critical' thresholds only make sense if you consider that all passengers fly solo and are all equal. If it is not the case and, say, BA moved to a policy of blocking the middle seat next to Gold pax when the cabin is not full you would say that 2-4-2 means that on most flights with a load factor of about 75-80% (considering the typical proportion of couples, families of 3 or more, and Gold's in Y on a plane), most Gold's would be guaranteed an empty row for themselves! If you prefer 9 pax per row in 3-3-3 to 8 pax per row in 2-4-2 in a cabin of a given width, then good for you but I can promise you that you will be in a (very clear) minority here.

The more general perception about both cabins is: "absolutely nothing special". It is clearly about cramming the maximum possible number of seats given the class-configuration, with apparently nothing new in terms of seats, common spaces, etc. I would say that BA is the only airline with A380 for which, when flying J I would prefer to be on an alternative aircraft (in that case, the 744 UD), while typically, on QF, AF, LH, KE and more I would choose the A380 over any older model for either seat or configuration reasons.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 2:30 am

British Airways will announce the routes the new aircraft will operate in Spring 2013.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 2:35 am

Originally Posted by Carfield
It is shocking to hear that they have no plan for premium lounges at Satellite C. You are basically parking these "premium" planes all at Satellite C but not having the facilities to go with it is a bad decision.
The sad thing is, BA is not promoting new aircraft in the fleet as premium, and have decided to go for very mediocre placement in the market. That does sum BA up at the moment - only aspiring to be middle of the road.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 2:36 am

Programs: BA Gold, and others
Has any thought been given by BA to make a 'upstairs at T5C', essentially a big lounge with direct boarding to the A380 upper decks?
Old Dec 11, 2012, 3:05 am

Looking at the seat maps, I don't see any temptation to leave the current 744 UD. If BA could have brought themselves to give up 8 CW seats upstairs to make it 2-2-2, I think they could have made it feel a lot more special and spacious. Right now all I can see is 3 semi-dorms.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 3:10 am

Another point: any family travelling with more than one child is going to have to divide up. Also note the demise of the CW "play-pen" middle sections which were excellent for containing rascals. It would have been nice if BA could have kept a few "family" rows of 4xCW seats.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 4:03 am

Programs: BA Gold
When T5C was being built was there not talk of an area being set aside for a lounge?
Old Dec 11, 2012, 4:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
I like the "middle" CW seat as it will be super private for a good nights sleep.
Out of interest, do you see the middle seats having any advantage over windows?

Originally Posted by mumblemumble
Another point: any family travelling with more than one child is going to have to divide up. Also note the demise of the CW "play-pen" middle sections which were excellent for containing rascals. It would have been nice if BA could have kept a few "family" rows of 4xCW seats.
On the A380 they have on the lower deck.

Originally Posted by orbitmic
Come on that is stretching a bit
It is not stretching it at all.

It is a fact that with a 3-3-3 configuration on flights with seat factors between 51% and 66% some passengers will be free to choose to enjoy an empty seat next to them that they would not otherwise have been able to experience under 2-4-2.

For these passengers 3-3-3 is undeniably preferable.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 4:55 am

Programs: BA, LH, VS, Hyatt, SPG
I think splitting CW between the two decks is a better option. A 97 seat CW cabin on one deck of the A380 would be horrific.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Out of interest, do you see the middle seats having any advantage over windows?
No sidewall lighting so hopefully a bit darker especially during service periods.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 5:11 am

I'm going to echo the view of most - the layouts are underwhelmingly bland and def BA pitching 'middle of the road'. I was secretly hoping they may pull a rabbit out of the hat with a new larger 'first suite' to try and compete with other airlines (i loved QF first, and SIN, havent tried others)

I'd also suggest not having some sort of premium lounge in T5C is a mistake. I recently went from there to BOS and our 747 went 'tech' so we had a 2.5hr delay whilst they found a replacement aircraft. We had to walk back thru the service tunnel to T5B and wait - we werent advised to go back to T5A as we'd be taken back to arrivals (on the train) and therefore have to go thru security clearance etc again which as we know can be lengthy wait, esp 'fast track' - dont know if this is correct but thats what we were told.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 5:17 am

On the A380 they have on the lower deck.
You're quite right, my eyesight is obviously failing!
I take back my last post.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by ardboe
When T5C was being built was there not talk of an area being set aside for a lounge?
There is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.