Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will BA Ever Fly from Stansted Again?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2013, 11:07 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by xmassheep

Pucci; at the risk of veering wildly OT, may I ask what about Dunmow appeals to such a refined lady as youself?

Finchingfield/Thaxted I could understand!
Sugar - It was only as a contrast with Southend and Pitsea. Thaxted is far more pleasant - you are quite right.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 12:09 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Anyhow he and I would hate to see BA at Harlow International, matter are bad enough being spread over three tin pot terminals let alone three tin pot airports!
Madame, will you please refrain from using the fine town of (H)arlow as a pseudonym for the tin shed that is STN.
I used to live in said town and the only way I could culturally improve myself was to move to the even finer city of Kingston-Upon-Hull.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 12:41 pm
formerly known as lady1964

Programs: BA Bronze
Originally Posted by dc2447
LHR and LGW are an hour away and you stay overnight?
As said, if we have a flight leaving around 10am ish, yes we do as we would rather be 10 mins drive away from the airport than get up at 6am and risk being caught up in serious traffic problems and be either cutting it terribly fine or worse, missing our flight.

We have done both LHR & LGW in around an hour, maybe an hour 10/15 mins at all times of the day, however as others have mentioned, at certain times or if there are roadworks or an accident, it can be 3 hours.

100 to stay overnight & leave the car at LGW for 10/11 nights is worth paying for not having a stressful drive on the morning of our flight; makes the start of our holiday all the more relaxed.

To add: Thaxted is really lovely, apart from it being under the flight path of STN and Finchingfield is where I used to take my girlies to feed the ducks when they were little, it's a beautiful village.

Last edited by LadyB; Feb 23, 2013 at 12:44 pm Reason: to add comment
Old Feb 23, 2013, 2:32 pm

Programs: Back down to BA Blue
Originally Posted by kanderson1965
Madame, will you please refrain from using the fine town of (H)arlow as a pseudonym for the tin shed that is STN.
I used to live in said town and the only way I could culturally improve myself was to move to the even finer city of Kingston-Upon-Hull.
Congratulations on escaping! I often breathe a sigh of relief that London shows as my place of birth on my passport whereas my sister will forever have Harlow inscribed in hers. Unfortunately I was born in the same hospital as David Beckham, and when he moved to the village I grew up in I was concerned that he was following me. He seems to have stopped now!

LadyB - yes, both are lovely places and well worth a visit. In fact, the STN flightpath is the only blight on a whole host of lovely villages in the surrounding area. I think Uttlesford was recently voted one of the top 10 most pleasant places in the country to live, or something along those lines.

And the STN flightpath can have some benefits - when the current terminal was built my primary school got a wodge of cash for painting guide marks on the playground. And at secondary school we would get extra time in language exams if a plane flew over (pretty much guaranteed).
Old Feb 23, 2013, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by xmassheep
Congratulations on escaping! I often breathe a sigh of relief that London shows as my place of birth on my passport whereas my sister will forever have Harlow inscribed in hers. Unfortunately I was born in the same hospital as David Beckham, and when he moved to the village I grew up in I was concerned that he was following me. He seems to have stopped now!
OT I know but my no.3 girly should have been born in PAH in Harlow, however, a week before my due date, we went to a Xmas 'do' in London; theatre/overnight stay and 90 minutes after calling an ambulance to our hotel, she was born at St. Thomas's hospital, so she has London as her place of birth on her passport
Old Feb 23, 2013, 3:04 pm

Programs: Back down to BA Blue
Originally Posted by LadyB
OT I know but my no.3 girly should have been born in PAH in Harlow, however, a week before my due date, we went to a Xmas 'do' in London; theatre/overnight stay and 90 minutes after calling an ambulance to our hotel, she was born at St. Thomas's hospital, so she has London as her place of birth on her passport
I hope she is suitably grateful! ^
Old Apr 8, 2016, 6:18 am

gerard747

BA and STN are sayings this is the first time BA has flown from STN
but Im sure they used to fly STN/Manchester years ago,
can anyone remember this service?
Old Apr 8, 2016, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Welcome to FT, gerard747!

There was some discussion here about which routes BA used to fly from STN: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...k-gla-stn.html
Old Apr 8, 2016, 6:43 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Welcome to Flyertalk gerard747, and welcome in particular to the BA forum. It's good to see you here, it's only thanks to the contributions made by you and others that makes this site of any value. Welcome on board.

Yes I remember the service, not well, but I've done a few MAN-STNs and back on BA. I remember the aircraft were small (1-11s? Avros?) and that there were bus transfers at the STN end, but it's a bit woozy now. I more remember the painful rail service to London before the advent of full SEx.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 6:47 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Cambridge hasn't got much of a catchment area for premium leisure. It may be expensive to live here but most people aren't that well off, there's a tech and pharma population but it's not that big. The countryside areas near Cambridge are not nearly as well off nor as densely populated as south of London. LGW makes much more sense than STN for BA.

For IAG, Vueling from STN makes more sense - and often a Vueling route causes the airport to appear in the list of BA website airports because you can book it via BA either as Vueling or as a BA codeshare.

STN itself is a horrible airport since MAG took over. It wasn't great before and now it's very unpleasant. Between the much higher population density, wealth density, and better airport at LGW I can't see why BA should come to STN.

Of course I'd love it if they flew STN-AMS, but they would never displace enough traffic from the Orange Mob to make it work.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 6:52 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The other relevant thread here is:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...o-ibz-pmi.html
Old Apr 13, 2016, 2:43 pm

Programs: BAEC
Deleted

Last edited by Nimrod1965; Jan 1, 2017 at 9:43 am
Old Apr 13, 2016, 3:33 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH, EK, QR
I always have pleasant memories of Stansted in the mid 90s, when I would travel down from GLA/PIK to visit family in Essex. The airport was always peaceful, quiet and felt like it had so much space. It's a very different place now!
Old Apr 14, 2016, 2:11 am

Here we are 3 years on from this thread being started and BA are flying in/out of STN.

We're going to FAO in September and looked at flying out of STN but 05:40? No thanks, even though we're only 20 minutes drive away, that's either a very early alarm call or not bothering to go bed the night before! We booked our outbound from LCY, that's about 25 minutes in the opposite direction for a noon departure, perfect, however we have booked our return into STN, which means quite an early start from our accommodation in Portugal but a perfectly acceptable arrival time back to STN.
Oh and the flights were cheaper in CE than in Y!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.