Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will BA Ever Fly from Stansted Again?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2012, 10:25 am

Programs: BAEC
It's certainly a good airport terminal.

With Iberia Express I do wonder if in a few years we might see something similar from BA... More and more airlines are going down the 'semi-budget' route for expansion.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 11:58 am

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald) & Jet Airways - Thank goodness i never got started.......most awful FF program
I work at Stansted and many airlines are upping sticks.

It is a very expensive airport to fly into. Story is that Ryanair got an amazing deal and that is why that have about 55% of the movements. They have an extensive network here.

Easyjet are no mugs at Stansted as well but have recently moved a few aircraft to Southend because they got a good deal. I can see them abandoning Stansted with the high costs.

It all depends on the new owners but in it's current incarnation, Stansted is Dying by putting all its eggs in one basket with Ryanair.

I do not see BA returning to Stansted although you see the occasional BA E190s parked up every now and then.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 12:03 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Blue & Silver again!! Monarch Vantage GOLD!!!! HiltonHonors Gold
Originally Posted by d3vski
I work at Stansted and many airlines are upping sticks.

It is a very expensive airport to fly into. Story is that Ryanair got an amazing deal and that is why that have about 55% of the movements. They have an extensive network here.

Easyjet are no mugs at Stansted as well but have recently moved a few aircraft to Southend because they got a good deal. I can see them abandoning Stansted with the high costs.

It all depends on the new owners but in it's current incarnation, Stansted is Dying by putting all its eggs in one basket with Ryanair.

I do not see BA returning to Stansted although you see the occasional BA E190s parked up every now and then.
Flew Easyjet from Southend a couple of months ago and cabin crew said that Easyjet rumour mill was saying Easyjet want to move as many flights from STN to SEN as possible.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by Speedbirdjclass
BA Cityflyer should have gone and blitzed the NEW Southend - Easyjet new it made sense and are doing a good trade
Really? The catchment error seems a bit small.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 2:44 pm
formerly known as lady1964

Programs: BA Bronze
I would like to see BA fly more from STN. It's my local airport, 20 minutes up the road and although I live in Essex, most of our flights are long haul and I don't think I've ever been to the Costa Del Sol....

We have to use the M25 for either LHR or LGW, approx an hours drive if the traffic is good, anyone's guess if it's not.....If we have a flight leaving LGW at 10am ish, we always stay in that area the night before rather than risk too much traffic and missing our flight, ditto LHR.

That said, I would rather do those journeys/overnights than fly Ryanair or Easyjet from STN.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 1:48 am

Programs: BA CCR/GGL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by destere
It's certainly a good airport terminal.

With Iberia Express I do wonder if in a few years we might see something similar from BA... More and more airlines are going down the 'semi-budget' route for expansion.
Hhhmmm, maybe we could call it "Second Go"

In terms of ease of getting to airports in the SE it is probably LCY, LGW, LHR, LTN and then STN so it isn't going to get any votes from me I'm afraid.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 1:42 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, Le Club Accor Gold
I'd like it if BA had a going concern at STN being my nearest airport (i don't count the one down the road lol) aside from that i'd rather spend the time going to LHR or LGW rather than using STN or LTN..
Old Feb 21, 2013, 2:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, CC Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by LadyB
I would like to see BA fly more from STN. It's my local airport, 20 minutes up the road and although I live in Essex, most of our flights are long haul and I don't think I've ever been to the Costa Del Sol....

We have to use the M25 for either LHR or LGW, approx an hours drive if the traffic is good, anyone's guess if it's not.....If we have a flight leaving LGW at 10am ish, we always stay in that area the night before rather than risk too much traffic and missing our flight, ditto LHR.

That said, I would rather do those journeys/overnights than fly Ryanair or Easyjet from STN.
LHR and LGW are an hour away and you stay overnight?
Old Feb 22, 2013, 3:32 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Marriott Rewards, BA Executive Club
It would be great, but I can't ever see it happening.

From the hip, it would seem more likely (but still highly unlikely) that KLM return to enable NEL/Essex/Cambs etc to use the AMS hub.

I still stare wistfully through the bottle glass entrance of the expired KLM lounge when at STN wondering why they ever left me in lurch with RFA and EFJ.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 4:12 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
My best friend lives near Ipswich and he is in a natural STN catchment area. He loathes everything to do with STN. The staff are so used to talking as they like to the "Plebs" as he overheard three weeks ago as everyone is Low Cost. it is such a shame as he goes back to the Air UK when that was a delightful airline flying everywhere before KLM got their hateful hands on it. I digress.

I understand that the Orange Peril from Southend - which after Pitsey must the most quintessential Essex venue going (hard to think of those and Great Dunmow being in the same county!) - is a pleasure in comparison. I think that Pegasus, and Wizz (that name always has vulgar connotations for me somehow) and what's left of Easy Jest make up STN and Gatwick North is almost as bad. The Martians brought the red weed - who brought the Orange. Someone from Planet Stelios?

Anyhow he and I would hate to see BA at Harlow International, matter are bad enough being spread over three tin pot terminals let alone three tin pot airports!
Old Feb 22, 2013, 4:09 pm

Programs: Back down to BA Blue
Originally Posted by dc2447

LHR and LGW are an hour away and you stay overnight?
My parents live near STN and also do this - although I'd say 90mins to LGW and just under 2hours to LHR - simply because if the M25 is bad it can take triple the time, particularly at rush hour. I work in Berkshire and if I want to visit the STN area for the weekend I will drive back to my house in SW London on a Friday afternoon and wait until 8pm to go to Essex, instead of going from work because that would take 3-5 hours instead of under 2.

Pucci; at the risk of veering wildly OT, may I ask what about Dunmow appeals to such a refined lady as youself? I spent several years as a teenager visiting the town of a weekday evening (Air Cadets) and the most exciting thing that would happen locally would be some kids abusing us from the bus stop where they spent their evenings because their mothers knew the telephone number of the phone box next to the bus stop.

Finchingfield/Thaxted I could understand!

As for expansion, I did work experience in the ATC tower before the low-cost boom really hit, and the tower was built in its current spot to allow another runway to be built to the east of the terminal and railway line. Unfortunately it would require bulldozing a lot of very nice villages and the current local infrastructure would struggle.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 4:53 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, Scandic 3rd Floor, PC Pleb, FB Off White, Tufty Club
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
I understand that the Orange Peril from Southend - which after Pitsey must the most quintessential Essex venue going (hard to think of those and Great Dunmow being in the same county!) - is a pleasure in comparison.
Via public transport (i.e. the train to the shiny new railway station), SEN isn't bad to get to - but by road along the arterial? It can be a bit of a nightmare, especially down speed camera alley after Rayleigh Weir.

The runway length keeps the aircraft small, but I wouldn't be surprised to see someone try a feeder from there to another European hub at some point.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 8:04 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
I live near Reading and I had a conversation with a work colleague the other week about why on earth he was flying STN to AMS when it would be far quicker (and probably work out cheaper) to go via LHR or LGW. It would take a lot to make me fly out of there
Old Feb 23, 2013, 9:51 am
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by oscietra
BA used to run a few domestic flights exSTN.

It has 3 747-8Fs based there for cargo ops.

Today I was looking at flights and noticed London (Stansted) as one of the drop down menu options. I don't recall seeing this in recent times.

Just a glitch, or are we on to something here?

Surely, STN has a good catchment area, plenty of money in Essex and particularly for premium leisure routes there must be a market for flights other than on Ryanair?

Do you think this will ever happen, and if so, which routes?

[oops, posted in wrong forum, meant to be in BAEC]

No. Will never happen.

Will a BA related LCC. Maybe.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

STN has no slots left in the morning time. This would restrict the flights that BA can start from the airport. Maybe some night time or evening flights. However maybe the unions would want things a little different.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.