Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Nov 17, 2012, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero

i Preface
If you are new to the British Airways Executive Club (BAEC) or a long term member but have not booked a redemption flight since the programme's relaunch in 2011, you may have realised by now that planning an Avios redemption calls for a shift in mindset, especially to those more used to redeeming miles for flights with North American frequent flyer programmes.

The purpose of this thread is to introduce you to how the BAEC works in terms of spending Avios and to share some tips will will assist you during the planning and booking stages. We'll also cover the options available to you, so you can make an informed decision on how best to maximise your Avios Points.

If you are seeking guidance on the changes to the Executive Club in relation to the programme's 2011 relaunch, the Q&A discussion serves as a very useful reference point.

ii Contents
iii Acknowledgments
This guide is a collaborative effort, and could not have been produced without the kind contributions from corporate-wage-slave, DWFI, LTN Phobia, Petrus, Prospero, and Stez.
Print Wikipost

Your guide to spending Avios [Beta]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2012, 5:46 am

Programs: BA Blue. 19695 Lifetime TPs
Will ex-BMI flights that are now becoming BA flights be eligible for BA AMEX Companion Vouchers?
Old Sep 19, 2012, 8:13 am

Programs: BA Silver, AF Ivory
Yes. (BA metal UK origin applies)
Old Sep 20, 2012, 11:22 pm

Programs: BA gold
can anyone tell me how near to take off can I book a CX flight with Avios?

They seem to release some tickets VERY close to take off, i.e. 12 hours. Can i book these on BA.Com

Thanks
Old Sep 24, 2012, 7:26 am

Programs: BA Blue, Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite
I have not booked reward flights since the move to Avios. I have been looking to book using companion voucher for next August/Sept but can't find any availability in CW or F to MIA or LAX? Is this a glitch in the system or are reward flights not realeased as ealy as they used to be? Or simply really no availability??

Last edited by ukswift88; Sep 24, 2012 at 8:15 am
Old Oct 4, 2012, 6:27 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
Question Assistance with OW booking with Avios

Hi, I have read this thread fully and am trying to book some J flights from SYD to AKL for March next year on QF.

I have checked Award Nexus (brilliant tool) and that appears to be plenty of availability for my dates and cabin. When I use the ba.com Avios booker it says that no flights depart on 4/3/2013.

So who is right? Should I just phone BA - haven't done that for years!!

Phoned BA and spoke to lovely lady who was very helpful. Tickets booked 80K plus £306.80 tax.

Last edited by BAGoldBoy; Oct 4, 2012 at 7:00 am Reason: Update
Old Oct 5, 2012, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
I noticed the other day that I couldn't get any AKL-SYD or WLG-SYD flights to show in ba.com, which I put down to being a bug. I didn't actually check alternative sources to make sure that they would have shown availability, but this rather seems to confirm my suspicion.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 4:53 pm

Programs: BA gold
I had to call up the BAEC service centre to get NZ routings booked, as they were showing availability on other sources.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 9:46 am

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
Fantastic! A wealth of information and very well written.

I do have a question about Avios transfer to Iberia program. I have been searching on FT, bits and pieces of info, to this point I understand that I have to open an Iberia account, have it open for at least a certain time frame, activate it (I transferred AMEX MR points), then on BA site transfer the avios at 1:1 rate.

At this point there is Blue discounted availability on IB for the flights I want, but I don't know how much time it takes for the avios to be transferred and if I fall into the misfortune that the seats are taken up, I don't want 200K stuck on IB and not be able to transfer them back to BA.

Thanks in advance for answers or leading me to the correct thread.

EDIT: I just found a wonderful thread: Transfer Avios (Iberia Plus) to Avios (BA)

Last edited by ORD-TGU; Oct 10, 2012 at 10:00 am
Old Oct 11, 2012, 12:24 am

Programs: BA Silver, LH Miles & More, HHonours, Starwood Corporate
I am due to fly to Houston in November and currently booked WT+ both ways, I am looking to upgrade to CW both ways using Avios. Last time I did this just for the return and I parted with 12,000 avios and a modest fee for the priviledge. What can I expect this time, especially taking-in the outbound leg? Thanks in advance for any useful advice/tips
Old Oct 12, 2012, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by SheppeyFlyer
What can I expect this time, especially taking-in the outbound leg?
It's actually 12,500 each way.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 12:31 am

Programs: BA Silver, LH Miles & More, HHonours, Starwood Corporate
Originally Posted by Globaliser
It's actually 12,500 each way.
Many Thanks Globaliser, I shall certainly take advantage of this as it could be my last L/Haul for some time.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 5:31 pm

Sorry, another reward availability question but I don't think this is worthy of a new thread.

I am trying to book a very simple LHR-DUB on May 14th next year for 2 people, only 1 flight on that day has availability in ET and no availability at all in CE. I really want CE because I'm planning to head to LHR straight from the office in London and will likely arrive with a hours to spare - bearing in mind we fly long-haul from DUB the following morning it'd be nice to relax in the lounge for a few hours at LHR prior.

Is it usual for reward saver availability to be so scarce 6 months in advance? Or is the fact that it is so far in advance the problem - perhaps it will improve nearer the time when they see how many seats are un-sold? It just seems strange to me as I can't imagine LHR-DUB being one of the most sought after routes out there!

Also while I'm at it, someone much cleverer than me may be able to answer this for me. We are flying to YVR from DUB on a KLM ticket booked via eBookers, but the first flight is operated by Aer Lingus to AMS. Aer Lingus being part of One World - do you think I might get some mileage if I put my BAEC account number on the booking?

P.S. Before you frown at the above scenario, we paid £275 for a DUB-AMS-YVR returning SFO-JFK-LHR during peak season, so a short trip to DUB at the start of the trip with 4500 Avios was well worth it in my opinion! BA from LHR was at least double the price, unfortunately what with APD etc.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 1:34 am

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by AllTheNines
Is it usual for reward saver availability to be so scarce 6 months in advance? Or is the fact that it is so far in advance the problem - perhaps it will improve nearer the time when they see how many seats are un-sold? It just seems strange to me as I can't imagine LHR-DUB being one of the most sought after routes out there!
Keep in mind BA have only recently begun flying LHR-DUB (rather than codesharing with AerLingus), as part of the absorbtion of bmi into BA.

I would expect things to still be in a state of flux.

Certainly things may well appear overtime. Setup an alert on AwardNexus, etc.

Also while I'm at it, someone much cleverer than me may be able to answer this for me. We are flying to YVR from DUB on a KLM ticket booked via eBookers, but the first flight is operated by Aer Lingus to AMS. Aer Lingus being part of One World - do you think I might get some mileage if I put my BAEC account number on the booking?
AerLingus left oneworld in 2007. They are not currently in any alliance.

However, they remain a BA partner. So, if this is an AerLingus flight, with an AerLingus flight number that you are booked under, stick your BA number in and you will get a tiny number of Avios!

(They are also partners with some other schemes I believe).
Old Oct 17, 2012, 5:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by AllTheNines
Sorry, another reward availability question but I don't think this is worthy of a new thread.

I am trying to book a very simple LHR-DUB on May 14th next year for 2 people, only 1 flight on that day has availability in ET and no availability at all in CE. I really want CE because I'm planning to head to LHR straight from the office in London and will likely arrive with a hours to spare - bearing in mind we fly long-haul from DUB the following morning it'd be nice to relax in the lounge for a few hours at LHR prior.

I totally wouldn't bother with CE on LHR-DUB, for lounge access or otherwise. The only benefit is tier points, which you won't get on a redemption anyway. The lounge for domestic and DUB flights is pants. Take the ET flight and sit in Est Est Est or somewhere for the few hours before.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 1:30 am

The most amazing guide. Thankyou so much.

May i ask what software you used to do the radius maps? I'd love to be able to do a radius map online, lets say 5500miles from MAN, etc, etc....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.