Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Nov 17, 2012, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero

i Preface
If you are new to the British Airways Executive Club (BAEC) or a long term member but have not booked a redemption flight since the programme's relaunch in 2011, you may have realised by now that planning an Avios redemption calls for a shift in mindset, especially to those more used to redeeming miles for flights with North American frequent flyer programmes.

The purpose of this thread is to introduce you to how the BAEC works in terms of spending Avios and to share some tips will will assist you during the planning and booking stages. We'll also cover the options available to you, so you can make an informed decision on how best to maximise your Avios Points.

If you are seeking guidance on the changes to the Executive Club in relation to the programme's 2011 relaunch, the Q&A discussion serves as a very useful reference point.

ii Contents
iii Acknowledgments
This guide is a collaborative effort, and could not have been produced without the kind contributions from corporate-wage-slave, DWFI, LTN Phobia, Petrus, Prospero, and Stez.
Print Wikipost

Your guide to spending Avios [Beta]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2012, 4:47 am

Programs: BA Exec Blue, IHG Spire, HHonor Gold, Accor Platinum.
Excellent post-I've been looking for this onfo since transferring from BD

One (dumb?) Q

UuA cancellations

I assume as it's a base fare paid for by cash-if you cancel then you'll lose the cash if it was a non-refundable ticket?

Tx
Old Aug 21, 2012, 5:34 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Extremely helpful and very written. Thanks very much indeed for this.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 6:12 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club
Nice work!, how about adding a section on OJs?

Explain the rules, examples of what you can/can't do?
Old Aug 21, 2012, 9:36 am

Thank you for this very useful resource.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 10:29 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
Originally Posted by blindman
Excellent post-I've been looking for this onfo since transferring from BD

One (dumb?) Q

UuA cancellations

I assume as it's a base fare paid for by cash-if you cancel then you'll lose the cash if it was a non-refundable ticket?

Tx
The original fare rules of the base fare paid with cash apply if you use UUA. (i.e. a non-refundable ticket stays nonrefundable)

HOWEVER, with A+M, the ticket is treated as an award in the sense that it is flexible like a standard award.

This is a key distinction.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 11:06 am

Programs: BA Exec Blue, IHG Spire, HHonor Gold, Accor Platinum.
Originally Posted by DWFI
The original fare rules of the base fare paid with cash apply if you use UUA. (i.e. a non-refundable ticket stays nonrefundable)

HOWEVER, with A+M, the ticket is treated as an award in the sense that it is flexible like a standard award.

This is a key distinction.
Thanks

Thought as much-may be worth putting that in the guide?
Old Aug 21, 2012, 12:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Grand Union
01 Hotel redemptions

Note that it appears that this service is not available to BAEC members in certain countries.
Yes it's not available for me...I wonder why that is?

I have to say I've been looking through this guide and have found it extremely useful....one of the best yet. ^

Thanks to all those who gave up their time to put it together.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 1:36 pm

Programs: Skywards
This is excellent, thank you! Everything in one place. I've been trying to get my head round all this for some time now. ^^
Old Aug 21, 2012, 2:40 pm

Programs: CX gold
Great job, as per usual guys!!!!
Old Aug 22, 2012, 1:06 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
A useful thread, and perfectly in time for me as I'm just about to try my first MFU booking. Could I ask for clarification on the following:
Originally Posted by 1
You can only upgrade one class at a time
I just had a call with an agent who said you could only upgrade once on an MFU, which is kind of hinted by
Originally Posted by 2
You can only upgrade one cabin
As I understood you could do the following, in the same transaction (even if it meant the agent had to do some fiddling):
Book WTP+ (Base fare), upgrade to Club, and then from Club to First
The agent gave me a response that indicated the "Club to First" booking would not be possible, not sure if this is a HUCA or a real restriction?

Threads seem to indicate the agent was correct, so you might want to make it explicit (doh!)
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...o-classes.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...-wt-first.html

Thinking about it: In this scenario can you book a Club outbound and a WTP return and do therefore the one-class only upgrade whilst not over-paying? (I suspect in this case one is better booking from Amsterdam, making a MFU impossible)

Last edited by littlevoices; Aug 22, 2012 at 1:20 am
Old Aug 22, 2012, 3:29 am

You can only upgrade one cabin using avios. Anything else is false.
Once you have upgraded, there can be POUG offers to the next cabin, but you will still get avios and TP for the original revenue cabin, or zero if it was a full redemption base fare.

It is possible to book WT+ one way and CW the other, meaning that one can upgrade to CW one way and F one way, assuming there is availability.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 5:26 am

Programs: BA LT Gold, HH Diamond
Excellent resource, thank you.

One suggestion which I don't think is covered so far (apologies if I missed it); under the additional benefits for Gold the fact that an Amex 2-4-1 can be used in conjunction with a GUF2 could be added? If one is so inclined it does have the potential to save shedloads of Avios.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 1:25 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by r22r44bell47
Excellent resource, thank you.

One suggestion which I don't think is covered so far (apologies if I missed it); under the additional benefits for Gold the fact that an Amex 2-4-1 can be used in conjunction with a GUF2 could be added? If one is so inclined it does have the potential to save shedloads of Avios.
Good point; Also GUF2 and Jokers can be redeemed together. GUF2 and UuA cannot be combined (as already stated); Also GUF2 can be used when there are (e.g.) WT+ reduced rate redemptions it can be used to leverage into the class higher (so indirectly allowing reduced rate CW when it is not used). Must be booked by phone however. Anything else anyone can think of?
Old Aug 23, 2012, 9:21 am

Programs: BA Silver, LH Miles & More, HHonours, Starwood Corporate
Hi All, I've just joined the forum and used Avios to upgrade from WT+ to CW on a return flight from the US. I have what may appear to be an elementary question to most but would like to know if the upgrade now attracts enhanced Avios as well as associated tier-points or do they remain the same as my original WT+ booking? Thanks in advance for any guidance. SF
Old Aug 23, 2012, 9:30 am

Programs: BA Silver, LH Miles & More, HHonours, Starwood Corporate
Originally Posted by SheppeyFlyer
Hi All, I've just joined the forum and used Avios to upgrade from WT+ to CW on a return flight from the US. I have what may appear to be an elementary question to most but would like to know if the upgrade now attracts enhanced Avios as well as associated tier-points or do they remain the same as my original WT+ booking? Thanks in advance for any guidance. SF
Having re-read the 'Upgrading using Avios' section from Grand Union it would appear that the latter is the case. Either way, some clarification would be welcomed. (A great deal of very useful information btw 'Grand Union') SF

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.