FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   What's the WORST lounge you've been in - and why? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1378512-whats-worst-lounge-youve-been-why.html)

alexss Aug 19, 2012 4:16 am

Originally Posted by Richelieu (Post 19147831)
When you consider leaving the lounge to pay for drink and a comfortable seat in the rest of the airport, I'd say that some place are worse than "no lounge". Because of the dashed expectations.

EZE contract lounge is an exemple of that.

The TAM lounge at EZE is even worse than the AA one BA uses. The least bad place is the restaurant - not quite up to normal Argentinian standards but not bad for an airport.

What about the Servisair lounge at T3 that BA used before the Galeries opened? Almost nothing there and signs threatening to prosecute you for stealing anything.

Thai's lounge at BKK also surprisingly awful. Claustrophobic and way too small for the number of pax when the late evening flights depart.

sgm Aug 19, 2012 6:00 am

The lounge used by BA in Lisbon (The Blue Lounge) is the worst in my experience.

- Far side of the terminal from BA departures (a 25 min walk).
- Just a box sticking out into the terminal
- No natural light
- Smelly A/c
- No English language papers
- Small
- No food
- Very dirty glasses

It is the only lounge I have ever left in favour of the terminal outside.

MAN-FF Aug 19, 2012 6:05 am

I used to have the (dis)pleasure of having to regularly use the Servisair lounge at LPL.

Small, cramped, windowless with a very poor selection of food. It really has very little going for it, just like most of Servisair's lounges IMO.

MAN-FF

Tobias-UK Aug 19, 2012 6:21 am

Originally Posted by MAN-FF (Post 19150870)
I used to have the (dis)pleasure of having to regularly use the Servisair lounge at LPL.

Small, cramped, windowless with a very poor selection of food. It really has very little going for it, just like most of Servisair's lounges IMO...

Me too, almost weekly. We stopped using LPL because of the very high charges for short-term car parking. Extortionate.

We now exclusively use MAN whose charges are much more reasonable (when compared to LPL).

As far as the lounge is concerned, they have one absolute dragon and two very nice, helpful, pleasant angels. The refreshments are typical of Servisair but the alcohol selection is clearly aimed at the Ryanair passenger - cheap and nasty.

The old lounge has now gone and a new one opened a few months ago - as we now boycott LPL I've not tried the new lounge.

nedved20 Aug 19, 2012 6:31 am

Any Admirals Club

MAN-FF Aug 19, 2012 6:31 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK (Post 19150928)
The old lounge has now gone and a new one opened a few months ago - as we now boycott LPL I've not tried the new lounge.

Goes to show the last time I flew from LPL; I avoid it and LCC generally at all costs now. MAN suits me fine, and I sympathise with the parking issue too, especially since most are those awful off-site warehouse style car parks run by some frankly dodgy looking scousers.

No thanks.

MAN-FF

LTN Phobia Aug 19, 2012 7:09 am

The temporary lounge upstairs at OTP was pretty poor. Going through what looked like a back door service entrance and going up the service stairs, it opened up into a pretty shabby lounge. At least they did have clean loos even though the computers may have been 386s... (well a bit of an exaggeration).

They only had some crisps and soggy wafers and biscuits for food. They did have a wide variety of juices and juice drinks. Insufficient quantity of alcoholic drinks from memory - that's weak considering Romania produces some excellent red that costs absolutely nothing to buy. They, however, had decent beers so that probably meets many people's requirements of a decent lounge.

papyPiHi Aug 19, 2012 7:12 am

Agreed, Servisair at LHR T1 is awful...and Admiral's Club CDG is not too far behind :(

Paint Horse Aug 19, 2012 7:49 am

Originally Posted by nedved20 (Post 19150955)
Any Admirals Club

All the Admirals Clubs I have been in have been fine in terms of a place to sit and wait for a flight. They are large, have nice views, and the seating is fine.

Now food is altogether different.

HIDDY Aug 19, 2012 7:51 am

Originally Posted by alexss (Post 19150573)
The TAM lounge at EZE is even worse than the AA one BA uses. .

The TAM/AMEX lounge at EZE is dire. The last time we went in they didn't even have coffee in the pot. We left and went to the United lounge instead which although no great shakes was ten times better. Given the state of the TAM lounge at GRU it shouldn't come as any surprise that they should choose to use the crappiest lounge at EZE.

The Admirals Club isn't too bad during the day. It's quiet at that time especially now that Qantas have buggered off to SCL so you don't have to put up with loud Aussie bawling and shouting across the room. A new Sala lounge has opened at EZE which is a vast improvement on the usual lounge quality there.

economyman Aug 19, 2012 7:53 am

I'll also nominate the BOD lounge but as my office is literally less than a 5 minute drive, I don't often bother. I tend to leave the office 40 minutes before departure if I have to return a rental car or 30 minutes if I am being dropped off.

When there is a delay I do get stuck in the lounge where I fumble with the most ridiculous Internet connectivity system I have seen anywhere.

Oilrig fella Aug 19, 2012 9:53 am

LAD used to be the lounge that needed some preparation to visit. Have not been there for 8 years now but the 6 years prior to that when I did visit monthly the one toilet never ever did have the capacity to flush, probably did not matter as there were no light bulbs either. :eek:

BA235 Aug 19, 2012 10:08 am

Of my regular destinations:

BOD is hilarious. I never bother and just wait in the gate area.

CTA is also pathetic. I recall going in, retrieving a bottle of water and then leaving. On my last two trips I just sat at the perfectly pleasant wine bar on the concourse.

I thought the TLV lounge that First passengers are directed to was pretty poor.

To Eat.To Drink Aug 19, 2012 10:17 am

Originally Posted by CityRules (Post 19150396)
It's been some years since I've been in that lounge; the biggest downside being that it was, IIRC, landside. Also it was always so deserted.

In what way does it resemble a porta-cabin?

Of the airports which had lounges, it was one of the worst I visited because of the above, but still in no way as bad as those airports which had/have no lounges.

Yes, landslide. Well, OK, not really a porta cabin but isn't it just a black cube that seems to have been plonked down in the airport? Not dire though. There are worse. How about the Old Kingfisher lounge at IXM?

FrancisA Aug 19, 2012 11:34 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY (Post 19151304)
The Admirals Club isn't too bad during the day.

But in EZE don't they still put the hard booze away during the day and only get it out within two hours of the BA flight to LHR?