Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Are the Avios.com/Ba.com eStores trying to rip you off?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are the Avios.com/Ba.com eStores trying to rip you off?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2012, 2:03 am

Programs: BAEC, HHonors Gold, Amex
I have been using the ba eStore since about May this year, with 100% success so far. My main purchases have been iTunes, as I tend to buy an album most weeks.

I switched to avios.com for October for the double points offer and everything tracked except for one transaction. Rather annoyingly it was the largest transaction I have yet done through an eStore, so I'm waiting for the correct time and will be chasing it up.

It does seem though that my experience so far has been better than most (it seems that iTunes is very unreliable for many), so it can work fairly reliably.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 2:09 am

Programs: BA Gold
I have found one type of thing that has never correctly tracked once - and that's pre-ordering something from Play.com.

Every single time I've had to follow up to get points for that
Old Nov 14, 2012, 2:13 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
I've only ever had 1 problem with it and that was with HMV ages ago. Never tracked and a claim form yielded nothing.
Did get a few 1000 Avios by buying a Dell laptop and wasn't even aware I went through the site for that! Must have logged in at some point and a tracking cookie did something.

Use the Virgin Atlantic shopping site as well as this tends to have far more retailers.
Some take a few weeks to come through but no problems at all there.
Have mentioned this before, but occasionally you do get charged more for using the store i.e insurance quote via VA shopping came out as £79 with 200 bonus miles. Go direct to the insurer and £10 cheaper for the same thing.

I generally use Elemis, Play and Tesco through BA and these are fine. eBay worked for me a few months ago as well.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 3:14 am

Originally Posted by darthlemsip
I have found one type of thing that has never correctly tracked once - and that's pre-ordering something from Play.com.

Every single time I've had to follow up to get points for that
Interesting that your missed one was a preorder, which mine was as well. I wonder whether the system has problems with preorders.

Mine was shipped just a couple of days after ordering, so I don't see any reason why it shouldn't count.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 6:33 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club
Originally Posted by dinise
Any suggestions on how to go forward? I buy the itunes and the reciept never posts the same day as I buy the itunes so it will never agree with the click date, but it has never been a problem in the past. I thank you in advance for any help with this matter.
I'd reply back to the email, explain that you have had problems with this before, make a list of the previous transactions you had problems with and if you haven't done so already send them the click IDs.

Good luck!
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:14 am

I sent in the email with the click record and this is what I got back. Wow! I can't believe they won't post the points from a legitimate sale. Any other thoughts how to get a point in the account to show activity. What a drag.

Dear Dinise,

Thank you for your recent email.

We have researched your Avios request further and determined that it was not eligible to receive credit because the transaction was not initiated from the link we provided on our site.

The receipt provided is for a purchase made on the 27/9/2012 and does not match the Click report of 23/09/2012 on our system.

We look forward to being of assistance to you in the future. Should you have any queries in the meantime that you are unable to locate within the help section of our website please feel free to contact us. We hope you will continue to enjoy collecting and spending Avios awards.

Kind regards,

BA Avios eStore Customer Support
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:18 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club
I sent in the email with the click record and this is what I got back. Wow! I can't believe they won't post the points from a legitimate sale. Any other thoughts how to get a point in the account to show activity. What a drag.
Wow indeed!

It probably cost them more to reply to your email than the points they would have given you.

How much was the purchase for?

Email them back and explain how the dates never match and show them some examples of past transactions.

Just 1 more thing, are you 1000% positive you did go through the link?

I've never seen this kind of response and trust me when I say I have had to do a hell of a lot of these retro claims!
Old Nov 14, 2012, 2:15 pm

I am totally sure I went throught the BA shopping portal and I have the clicks to prove it. This is so out of line it is beyond belief, but I have alot of miles to lose in the early part of 2013 if I don't do anything.

I contacted Apple to have them explain in a letter to British Airways why the invoices take so long to post after the purchase and confirmed the purchase on September 23 of the itunes. We'll see what happens. It is such a drag to have to fight so hard for so little. Unbelievable.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by KeithJenner
I have been using the ba eStore since about May this year, with 100% success so far. My main purchases have been iTunes, as I tend to buy an album most weeks.

I switched to avios.com for October for the double points offer and everything tracked except for one transaction. Rather annoyingly it was the largest transaction I have yet done through an eStore, so I'm waiting for the correct time and will be chasing it up.

It does seem though that my experience so far has been better than most (it seems that iTunes is very unreliable for many), so it can work fairly reliably.
Have you been using the US or UK website for itunes and gotten credit?

I just noticed this on the US site.

Special Terms: Purchases of gift cards (including Apple Store, Mac App Store, App Store and iTunes Store), Gift Wrap, One to One Membership, and expedited shipping are not eligible for reward. iTunes purchases do not qualify for rewards when purchased through this link.

Please advise, I just bought a bunch more itunes but it seems like you don't get credit any more.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 11:34 pm

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards
I have noticed that the rates on the US eStore have gotten worse, i.e. Buy.com was 2 avios/$1, now 1/$1.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 1:41 am

Have you been using the US or UK website for itunes and gotten credit?
I'm on the UK store.

The fact that iTunes often don't issue invoices for a few days has never caused me a problem either.

I recently spent about £100 there over the course of a few days, as I was given some gift cards. I was quite concerned at first as only a couple of transactions showed up, but then over the following days, iTunes invoices arrived and the estore shopping history filled up, in line with those invoices.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 1:47 am

Programs: BA Gold
Last week PC World Business had 8 Avios to the £1. I wanted to buy a laptop for Christmas via the e-store.

The link wouldn't let me actually purchase the laptop so I called them up only to be told by PC World that their site 'blocks' certain cashback sites. When I queried if it blocked the e-store the agent just repeated they block certain cashback sites.

I couldn't buy the laptop using the e-store link so lost out on alot of Avios.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 1:57 am

Originally Posted by Helinlouise
I couldn't buy the laptop using the e-store link so lost out on alot of Avios.
And hopefully they lost out on a sale.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 3:05 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
After reading this thread, I've been and checked my account.

Interestingly, there were a few small transactions that hadn't posted. Big ones I look out for, and would have noticed, but the small ones slipped under my radar. Still, that's probably only 4 transactions out of 100 or so, which is on a par with Quidco.

Avios.com, however, are awful. I have to chase 50% of my purchases.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 5:30 am

Programs: BA CCR/GGL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rossmacd
The hassle of using the estore (or all these cashback sites) for me doesn't seem to generate much reward, considering I earn more avios for a simple MAN-LON-MAN trip than I would through the estore.

But hey this is what FT is all about
I suppose it is all relative - if I was a multi-millionaire I probably wouldn't bother with the BA store or Quidco (well, actually, I probably would!) but as I'm not I'm quite happy with the £977 that I have got from Quidco for buying things that I would buy anyway

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.