Search

"Drinks from the bar" on British Airways

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2012, 4:55 pm
vla
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Gold, Aegean Gold
"Drinks from the bar" on British Airways

This place is amazing to the point of being borderline incredible. One of the most amazing things is the extent to which this community consumes refreshing beverages before and during travel with BA.

I was perusing an earlier thread today when I was on the train -- I think it was sammyh25 -- saying that the bar contents were under review.
I'm pleased to be offered drinks from the bar onboard British Airways flights. But I've often wondered what, specifically, comprises said bar?

We spend an absolutely inane amount of time discussing the relative merits of this and that beverage served at this and that premium passenger lounge on the ground.

And of course BA spends a nominal amount printing wine lists for Club and First passengers in the air. (Whether they actually serve them is another question of course.)

And, indeed, at the back of the in flight magazine(s) -- mostly High Life but maybe Business Life, I guess I don't really know because I don't really care (!?) -- a list of drinks on offer in (short-haul) economy class is provided.

So, what is actually in a BA bar? Particularly in the non-wine field, particularly in the premium classes.

Although I love the language evoking the promise of "a complete range of classic and timeless spirits, digestifs and liqueurs" as well as "a selection of traditional and modern drinks" -- what does that mean actually? And, most importantly, why haven't we talked about it here at excruciating length already?
Old Jan 22, 2012, 8:21 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Having once drunk a SIN-BNE flight dry of lemonade while in Club, I can help with the soft drink range! Coca~Cola/Schweppes have been the soft drink providers for as long as I can remember and the list has hardly changed in some 20+ years. The one change I know of is that Sprite replaced Schweppes Lemonade some years ago.

Here's a link to the menu from my recent LHR-MIA in Club World. Skip to page 4 and "The Bar" is listed there. (I'd copy and paste but the PDF is copy protected).
Old Jan 23, 2012, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
I recall a very amusing thread on the BMI forum some years back where people were trying to figure out what cocktails could be made from the contents of the rather poorly stocked bars in the diamond club lounges.

Poor man's bucks fizz (Beer & OJ) being a prime example.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 12:38 am

Last edited by angatol; Feb 28, 2015 at 2:56 pm
Old Jan 23, 2012, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
I recall a very amusing thread on the BMI forum some years back where people were trying to figure out what cocktails could be made from the contents of the rather poorly stocked bars in the diamond club lounges.

And that's the airline bought by IAG?

Last edited by onobond; Jan 24, 2012 at 12:30 am Reason: Correcting typo; thanks TravellerFrequently !
Old Jan 23, 2012, 9:18 am

Programs: BA Gold
Indeed I've always wondered about how on Earth BA calculate the quantities of who wants what and so on, to avoid running short.

I suppose it's through trial and error and based upon past experiences of crew etc..
Old Jan 23, 2012, 9:24 am

Programs: Mucci Petit Four de Pucci, RedVee's Navigator Badge, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JMurray
Indeed I've always wondered about how on Earth BA calculate the quantities of who wants what and so on, to avoid running short.

I suppose it's through trial and error and based upon past experiences of crew etc..
Well, I suppose canned / bottled drinks don't go off in the way that food does. So they can I suppose carry more than they need - as long as the weight doesn't become problematic...?

I've usually been able to get what I asked for in all classes. It's an important differentiating part of BA I'd say - feels hospitable even on very short flights. ^
Old Jan 23, 2012, 9:25 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by onobond
And that's the airline bought by AIG?

IAG - International Airlines Group.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 9:35 am

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Arienne du Rseau Courte Dure de British Airways
There is a review being undertaken right now looking at what we carry too much of and what we carry too little of. A number of crew are being specifically involved in this and the wider crew community is also being canvassed for their ideas and views.

It costs a huge amount in fuel burn to carry around stock that does not get used but also it is very annoying for passengers if we run out. So that is why BA are looking into this and being very careful not to remove products that passengers like and to adjust our stock in an appropriate way with products that passengers regularly ask for.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 9:41 am

Programs: BA Silver, AF Ivory
Originally Posted by Littlegirl
There is a review being undertaken right now looking at what we carry too much of and what we carry too little of. A number of crew are being specifically involved in this and the wider crew community is also being canvassed for their ideas and views.
Please pass on the message that Glenlivet 15 is not, never was and never will be a premium single malt!

Thanks

Old Jan 23, 2012, 10:08 am

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Arienne du Rseau Courte Dure de British Airways
Originally Posted by dnajockey
Please pass on the message that Glenlivet 15 is not, never was and never will be a premium single malt!

Thanks

Ok, but I have to say that a lot of passengers like it but maybe another malt would also be popular. Which one do you like and of course it needs to be one that would be available in miniature form, ie. a household name brand.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 10:14 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Littlegirl

It costs a huge amount in fuel burn to carry around stock that does not get used but also it is very annoying for passengers if we run out. So that is why BA are looking into this and being very careful not to remove products that passengers like and to adjust our stock in an appropriate way with products that passengers regularly ask for.
I am sure it is a logistical nightmare for the reasons you mention.

In CE and CW, a small range of liqueurs is required, in addition to 'premium' gin, vodka, whiskey, cognac etc

Whilst many of us like having champagne in quarter bottles in CE, not all of us are keen on Pommery.....
Old Jan 23, 2012, 10:18 am

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
Originally Posted by JMurray

Well it isn't dynamic loading as they have run short on my flights a few times
Old Jan 23, 2012, 10:52 am

Programs: Mucci Diamond Hairbrush. And Nouveau Bronze
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
Poor man's? I'd call that a serf's bucks fizz.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
"To Fly. To Drink"

Sadly I usually have to drive when I get off the big shiny jet, so it's not a big issue for me

However, on the last couple of trips the full wine list has been available in J, so that's a good start ^

As to the 'premium spirits', I'm just a wino ... unless there's some Calvados or Armagnac available

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.