Wiki Posts
Search

"Drinks from the bar" on British Airways

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2012, 12:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by vla
Thank you very much indeed JAXBA and angatol.

Armed with this knowledge, I shall be having a new cocktail which I'm calling a "mid-air collision":

Campari, Crème de Cassis, Tia Maria, Jack Daniels, Tomato Juice, topped up with lashings of Fanta Orange, and Raspberry and Elderflower tea.

Not many of us are "fittest" enough to survive that !

Old Jan 24, 2012, 1:33 am

Programs: BA, VS,
I am really pleased that BA has started to publish a bar list. Although a regular flyer in CW I was rather surprised when i first read what was hidden in those drawers!

For my own tastes the bar selection is good for me, don't you dare get rid of the Bitter Lemon though!
Old Jan 24, 2012, 4:00 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by vla
I shall be having a new cocktail which I'm calling a "mid-air collision":

Campari, Crème de Cassis, Tia Maria, Jack Daniels, Tomato Juice, topped up with lashings of Fanta Orange, and Raspberry and Elderflower tea.

Personally I would call it Call The Undertaker. Leave the Elderflower Tea out and I'll join you.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 4:03 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by G-AVFC
I remember the days when one could order a Campari and soda. Now it's relegated to Campari and sparkling Malvern water! Not quite the same.

Route specific bars might be an idea. Italian routes your grappa and Campari served properly again, French routes your calvados etc. may be a logistical nightmare but if possible might make a pleasant change.

And slightly o/t but why oh why is pasta or risotto not served with a little bit of Parmesan in CE? I know it is in First but it would be welcome on an Italian route.
Good Ideas! However the Parmeggiano would cost more than the little bit of pasta that they give you. Actually I would not put cheese on a Prawn pasta - which is actually my favourite CE meal and washed down with the Blue Top followed by a cognac and I am putty in anyones hand.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 4:53 am

The whisky selection does need improving. One blend and one malt per cabin is not enough. There could be one malt from each region, for example.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 5:40 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
I recall a very amusing thread on the BMI forum some years back where people were trying to figure out what cocktails could be made from the contents of the rather poorly stocked bars in the diamond club lounges.
There's also such a thread for the AA F lounges:

Flagship Lounge: Best self made cocktails

I thought the following quote was rather entertaining:

Originally Posted by masonp123
When I'm feeling '40's "noir-ish", wearing a suit and my fedora and trying to pull of the "look at me, I'm an International Man of Mystery travelling to far-off lands in style" I'll go for the Gimlet. There are numerous variations but any self-respecting private eye makes it with 1 part Gin and 1 part Rose's lime juice on the rocks. Some add sugar, others a splash of soda. I prefer the strong juniper of Tanqueray. Those who use vodka are to be considered disturbed - avoid them.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by ExpatExp
There's also such a thread for the AA F lounges
I liked that thread. I went out to lunch a couple of Saturdays ago and after we sat down I ordered an Americano, remembering having recently posted about my old favorite, Campari. The server asked if I wanted cream and sugar with it.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by ExpatExp
There's also such a thread for the AA F lounges:

Flagship Lounge: Best self made cocktails

I thought the following quote was rather entertaining:

very funny!

Always amuses me however that with the US airlines, only once you get to the top of the tree in terms of lounges do they trust you with a self serve bar, whereas if you're travelling BA and Lufthansa in F (from the home airports) they insist on serving you!
Old Jan 24, 2012, 7:12 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
What a load of lushes you lot are! Takes me a long time to finish even a Kir Royale; it all tastes like rubbing alcohol to me - it burns, it burns...

Sprite, Fanta and Highland Spring are my mainstays (no, not mixed).
Old Jan 24, 2012, 7:45 am
vla
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Gold, Aegean Gold
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Leave the Elderflower Tea out and I'll join you.
It's a date, m'lady!
Old Jan 24, 2012, 8:06 am

Programs: BA Gold; Flying Blue Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Some cocktails for your next flight

Here are some cocktails you can try the next time your flying BA. You may have to order these separately but see if you can get the CC in the mood to play along:

B52 - This is a layered shot. They probably won't have shot glasses so just use a normal glass but don't fill to the top (or maybe do!!)

Usual ingredients are Kahlua, Baileys and Grand Marnier but fortunately BA have the ingredients to change this.

Firstly pour 1 part Tia Maria,
Then using the back of a spoon, layer 1 part Baileys on top.
Then still using the back of the spoon, layer 1 part cointreau.

Down it!

Rusty Nail - You'll need to get a little creative with the final part:
1 part Drambuie
1 part Scotch Whiskey
Lots of ice
Then you'll need to ask for a lemon slice. Cut the peel away, twist it over the drink and drop it in.

You can handle at least 3 of these after dinner

Nelson Special - A nice aperitif before your main meal
1 1/2 oz Tanqueray Gin
Cranberry Juice
Spash of tonic water
All over ice

fruity and refreshing, although some traditionalists will hate to see what is happening to a G&T

Cunning Stunt - don't be drunk when you order this
2oz Champagne
1oz Jack Daniels
1oz Vodka

This will put hairs on your chest.....sorry ladies!

Flame of Love - a drink for the mature traveller
1/2oz of Tio Pepe
1 1/2oz of Vodka

You want a chilled glass - ask them to fill up a glass with water and lots of ice. After 3 minutes throw that away and pour ingredients.

If there happens to be an orange in the fruit bowl or in breakfast, add the peel for the final flavour.

Who is game to try these out?
Old Jan 24, 2012, 8:20 am

Programs: BA Gold
Nice one, silonic! I'll try a Rusty Nail and a B52!

I remember having a champagne cocktail on BA a while ago (champagne with cognac). Always good to remember in case there's a repeat of the Pissenwasser fiasco and the 'champagne' needs brightening up.

And on BMI, I had a white Russian - vodka, Kahlua, milk. Appropriately on our way back from DME. They (used to) have a couple of Kahlua miniatures loaded in J.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 8:26 am

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Why don't BA start offering some cocktails on flights apart from the Bloody Mary and Kir Royale standards?

CX, SQ, WY, EY & TG all offer various assortments of cocktails and CX have even gone to the extent of offering a 'signature' drink made especially for them. They each have an assortment listed on their menu cards.

EY offer such exotics as a daiquari - oh wait that needs rum

Last edited by Moomba; Jan 24, 2012 at 9:12 am
Old Jan 24, 2012, 8:37 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, FB Plat, AS Gold, Marriott Gold, Fairmont Plat, BA wannabe
Originally Posted by sammyh25
I'm going to rig the vote so we carry Hendricks gin and of course freshly sliced cucumber. It will of course ony be carried on domestic Shuttle flights to Edinburgh, so I can have a refreshing bevvie when going home, in civvies.
^^^^ Yes PLEASE!!!
Old Jan 24, 2012, 8:37 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by AeroWesty
I liked that thread. I went out to lunch a couple of Saturdays ago and after we sat down I ordered an Americano, remembering having recently posted about my old favorite, Campari. The server asked if I wanted cream and sugar with it.
Ha! I ordered one of these in a cafe in Munich and ended up with a horrific-looking orange concoction rather than the black coffee I was expecting . But, being game, I knocked it back and to my surprise I really rather enjoyed it.

It got me thinking about whether such a thing could be rustled up in the Flounge at LHR. Do they have sweet vermouth? I may investigate next time I am there.
So this thread has been a great pleasure to peruse.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.