Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Obsessive point collector

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2011, 5:34 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
I recently hit 298,XXX which was the most I've ever held. An MFU and 180,000 F 2-4-1 has seen that slashed back but I suspect it will be back up towards that number come this time next year, now I have a Silver card.

Its nice having a big balance, its far nicer spending them! As a premier, I supposed you have little time/ need to burn them, I'd certainly be booking a massive trip with flights, car and hotels all paid for with Avios if I were you!
Old Dec 4, 2011, 5:35 am

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dannyrado
I didn't think it was possible to get an SQ F suite, unless you gave them a vital organ?
An unusual stroke of luck for me. Was originally booked on 747 with BMI miles and about 3 weeks out it changed to a 380. To top it off it was the very first 380 flight out of MEL for SQ.

You can read all about it here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/12574292-post88.html

Last edited by Moomba; Dec 4, 2011 at 5:41 am
Old Dec 4, 2011, 8:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I wouldn't have thought keeping them for your retirement is a good idea as they are losing their value every year you hold on to them......just look at the current BA CW offer on the go to see what I mean.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 8:26 am

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
I tend to collect and spend in equal measure. BA miles are currently at a little over a paltry 250,000 but I've just had a J trip from BRU to LAX for Thanksgiving which ate up 100k but which was worth every one. Then next week I'm off to Zurich for dinner on Thursday and flying home to Brussels from Newcastle on Sunday courtesy of Reward flights.

I do try to MFU my work trips from WT+ to Club which is pretty much mileage neutral but the trips tend to be a relatively short notice and so availability is often limited or non-existent. Trips booked solely on miles are invariably for holidays - so right now I'm looking for availability to the USA in March next year for my 40th
Old Dec 4, 2011, 8:29 am

Programs: BA LTG, SQ TPPS, CX DMP, AA EXP, Bonvoy LTT, ALL PLT, Hilton DM
I used to be a hoarder!!! But luckily my addiction ended. At one point I had 5 million miles across a few programs.

Now down to 1.5 million and still burning faster than earning. Just burnt 1 million this summer flying 6 of us to US (and a couple RTW) in F.

Decided that miles keep being devalued like the recent Avios change. So might as well use it as it loses value over time.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 8:44 am

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
Originally Posted by HIDDY
I wouldn't have thought keeping them for your retirement is a good idea as they are losing their value every year you hold on to them......just look at the current BA CW offer on the go to see what I mean.
I'd happily use (some of) them before then but don't have the time and/or the flights are not available, so I can't use them even if I want to. As they have cost me so little, I'll just have to be sanguine about it if they are devalued, as I am about the money I have in savings accounts that are earning less than the rate of inflation.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Earn 'em and burn 'em! Never been much over 750K in total. Of course it all depends if you have time to burn them.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 9:23 am

Programs: VS Silver, BA Blue - finally; but hotels.com Gold :)
I seem to be in a pattern of being able to burn what I earn. Around 200k - 250k miles come in per year and the 2f1 and an upgradios or two sorts that.
Just dropped below 10k in the HHA last week for second time in last 15 months. No worries about the low level. It'll be up to the 50k upgradios threshold (for two) again soon enough.
Without the 2f1 and resulting F travel, it would be much harder for me to make BAEC work ... and I am thinking of building up a side-stash with AA.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 9:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by louie-m
I'd happily use (some of) them before then but don't have the time and/or the flights are not available, so I can't use them even if I want to. As they have cost me so little, I'll just have to be sanguine about it if they are devalued, as I am about the money I have in savings accounts that are earning less than the rate of inflation.
I'm just jealous at some of the totals being mentioned.......they're making me feel so inferior.

I've had some great use out of my miles so I can't complain. I still have some DC miles to use up but don't have any plans on using them in the near future. If they end up being Avios I shall be happy if they disappear altogether I won't be that bothered to be honest.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 9:48 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
I had that issue a very long time ago. Saved and saved with no idea what to do with the miles; wanting to get a free flight but then realising I could earn more by paying for a ticket instead of using miles.

It really was find the correct opportunity and having a target. My first ever redemption was not wasted. It was on Concorde to JFK on miles with a 2-4-1. Return was in F from Boston. Those were the days before I knew about FlyerTalk so I am sure I could have made better use for them.

Moomba advice is wise. Use the miles wisely. I am always having arguments with my other half who is happy to spend the miles now. I view it as saving up for a rainy day (when I may experience cash-flow problems) or find a great offer to take the plunge on.

The one fantastic one-off offer 2-4-1 miles sale in late 2008 offer without a voucher was a great opportunity for many and was a one off (never been repeated since). BAEC saw a massive depletion of their accrued balance when everyone started redeeming big time.

Since my work travel has trailed off, I find myself having to pay to travel to maintain status so do not have much opportunity to redeem miles (so sad )
I remain gratefully, that I find myself in such a situation.

On a separate note, I just booked a room using my HHonors points for a friend wanting to come on holiday with us. Found a great deal, that was far better than converting the points to BA Miles. Friend will think I paid out about GBP 2,000 but I paid out nothing and conversion to BA Miles will only get me a one-way CE flight. Its about keeping optionality in the various schemes you are in as well and not acting too early with various rewards scheme.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by HIDDY
It is true that air fares are trending downwards in real terms. But there are cyclical fluctuations. It is probably better to use miles if you can in the boom when fares are relatively high and cash in the bust when fares are relatively low.

Furthermore, miles might even be a better investment than cash since cash loses it's value to inflation and, so far, BA does not appear to have significantly devalued the miles for BA flights for a long time.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 7:51 am

[QUOTE=Sixth Freedom;17564361]

Furthermore, miles might even be a better investment than cash since cash loses it's value to inflation and, so far, BA does not appear to have significantly devalued the miles for BA flights for a long time.[/QUOTEpay

Not true. A BA redemption PHX-CDG-PHX cost 50K miles and a co-pay of c.$275 in 2008; the same award nowadays costs 59K Avios points and a little under $600. A considerable devaluation, don't you think?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.