Wiki Posts
Search

Hawaii on a companion voucher?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2011, 6:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue
Hawaii on a companion voucher?

Can someone correct me if i'm wrong, we've given up on Austrailia for our honeymoon as it's just going to be impossible to get the availability we think!

So... can I do the following to get to Hawaii instead...

Amex BA companion voucher, 1st clast return London -LAX

Avios 150000
Inclusive total 964.32
Voucher 1 BA American Express Companion Voucher

Then...
Use the rest of my avios miles for AA from LAX - HNL? It says it's only 150000 miles for First return and 26.80 in charges? That sounds odd to me!

Avios 150000
Inclusive total 26.80
Old Nov 16, 2011, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

There are no fuel surcharges for BA redemptions on AA for travel within North America, or between North America and South America.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 6:34 pm
Original Poster

Thats awesome! Are you sure my journey can start in North america though? I'm sure I read you had to start in the UK or something (as its 2 sperate journeys technically), thats what I thought I had totally wrong?
Old Nov 16, 2011, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by stevemack
Thats awesome! Are you sure my journey can start in North america though? I'm sure I read you had to start in the UK or something (as its 2 sperate journeys technically), thats what I thought I had totally wrong?
If you couldn't redeem Avios points for journeys that start in North America, some of the people who signed up for the Chase/BA 100K-mile bonus offer would be even more unhappy than they already are.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 6:54 pm
Original Poster

Lol, true! Where have I got the idea your journey had to start from your registered country then? I presume I've just lost the plot
Old Nov 16, 2011, 7:01 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by stevemack
Lol, true! Where have I got the idea your journey had to start from your registered country then? I presume I've just lost the plot
You're getting married - it happens!
Old Nov 16, 2011, 7:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

You'll be able to use your 2 for 1 voucher on a BA LHR-LAX-LHR if you have a UK AMEX.

You'll need to book separate returns from LAX to Honeylulu.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 8:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HIDDY
You'll be able to use your 2 for 1 voucher on a BA LHR-LAX-LHR if you have a UK AMEX.

You'll need to book separate returns from LAX to Honeylulu.
Seperate returns with my avios miles not cash I presume
Old Nov 17, 2011, 12:17 am

A regular poster suggested a few weeks back LHR - DFW and then onto HNL. This was due to it being a 767 and you get a near flat bed. From LAX to HNL it is more like Club Europe.

Besides AA you could also look at routes which use Alaska Air.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by redsox1918
A regular poster suggested a few weeks back LHR - DFW and then onto HNL. This was due to it being a 767 and you get a near flat bed. From LAX to HNL it is more like Club Europe.

Besides AA you could also look at routes which use Alaska Air.
I expect that DFW-HNL will cost more miles than LAX-HNL under the new redemption scheme. And does the BA LHR-DFW flight offer a decent connection to AA's DFW-HNL service?
Old Nov 17, 2011, 12:59 am

Programs: AA LT Gold, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, SPG Gold, PC Plat Ambassador
150000 miles each for LAX-HNL in First? If so, then DFW to HNL is actually cheaper, 120000 miles each and $21.40 in taxes.

DFW to OGG is another awesome route in First class but availability is a bear.

ETA - nevermind, I see that LAX-HNL in First is only 75000 miles each so DFW-HNL or DFW-OGG would be much more expensive, at 120000 miles each. Sorry!
Old Nov 17, 2011, 4:57 am
Original Poster

My plan is finally coming together
fly to LA, a few days there, on to hawaii for 2-3 weeks then back to LA/UK over 2 days!

Do LAX and HNL have good first class lounges?

Also, Can I cancel MY BA Amex now I have the companion voucher? I still have a preferred rewards gold card for the taxes/charges etc?
Old Nov 17, 2011, 5:23 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
The T's and C's of the BA Card and companion voucher do state you must still be a cardholder at time of travel.

But I recall tales on here of people who did cancel their card before travel and had no problems.

For my honeymoon - if it was me I wouldn't risk it !
Old Nov 17, 2011, 5:33 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
How about stopping off for a couple of days on the way back too? For example, San Francisco or even Chicago (although the AA flight may be a bit dearer). You can still use the 241 but would need to phone up and book it.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 5:51 am

Programs: BA Blue, Marriott Plat Life, UA Silver (thx Marriott), IHG Gold, Accor Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by qrpory
How about stopping off for a couple of days on the way back too? For example, San Francisco or even Chicago (although the AA flight may be a bit dearer). You can still use the 241 but would need to phone up and book it.
We did this a few years ago - LHR-LAX in F then on to HNL using AA Y. I didn't have enough miles, so paid.

As someone else mentioned, LAX - HNL is 5 or so hours in AA domestic, so it is a rather poor domestic F. May be worth doing LHR-DFW-HNL as you should get proper business / first seats.

If you return via SFO - make sure you take your jumpers with you - is a bit of a shock after Hawaii!

T

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.