Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hawaii on a companion voucher?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2011, 7:38 am

Programs: BA Gold
Booked same trip for February

Hi there - I have booked almost exactly the same trip for February next year - using Amex 2-4-1 for 1st Class from Edinburgh (OK 1st class actually only from LHR), then using 70 K miles to book wife & myself in Y on AA to HNL.

I did some research at the time on Flyer Talk and had the same suggestions you have regarding DFW etc., but decided to stick with LAX.

Wife has just discovered the LAX - HNL legs in Y are over 5 hour flights, so she's not too happy, however, I'm not sure the F class in AA would be worth the extra Miles.

We're good for the CCR and 1st class lounge in LAX, but not too sure about HNL, though as we are both Silver, we should manage to get in to some sort of lounge there.

Not sure when you are going, but assuming it is later next year I can try to update you with some info after I've done the trip.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 7:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue
What the difference between Domestic first class from LAX-HNL and first class from DFW-HNL, DFW-HNL uses a 767 and LAX-HNL a 757?

The amount of miles needed to go via DFW would exceed what I've got saved up to be honest, plus, we want to visit LA anyway so LAX is a better way, SFO would be great on the way home but according to BA site, the only way to get to SFO is via LAX as there's no direct HNL-SFO flight?

So Just to clarify, if I ring up I can do....

LHR-LAX SFO-LHR First class Using my Amex companion voucher

Then in between this....

LAX-HNL and HNL-LAX-SFO First class using purely avois miles.

Thanks for everyones help by the way, it's all very confusing sometimes to say the least
Old Nov 17, 2011, 7:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by douglasjmain
Hi there - I have booked almost exactly the same trip for February next year - using Amex 2-4-1 for 1st Class from Edinburgh (OK 1st class actually only from LHR), then using 70 K miles to book wife & myself in Y on AA to HNL.

I did some research at the time on Flyer Talk and had the same suggestions you have regarding DFW etc., but decided to stick with LAX.

Wife has just discovered the LAX - HNL legs in Y are over 5 hour flights, so she's not too happy, however, I'm not sure the F class in AA would be worth the extra Miles.

We're good for the CCR and 1st class lounge in LAX, but not too sure about HNL, though as we are both Silver, we should manage to get in to some sort of lounge there.

Not sure when you are going, but assuming it is later next year I can try to update you with some info after I've done the trip.

Thanks for the reply, we're not going until August 2013 but I'm planning weeeelll in advance

Have you gone with economy for the LAX-HNL flights I take it?
Old Nov 17, 2011, 7:42 am

Programs: BA Gold
Quick edit

Sorry - to clarify - I meant we are good for CCR in LHR and 1st Class Lounge in LAX (before someone points out there is no CCR in LAX).
Old Nov 17, 2011, 7:55 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by stevemack
So Just to clarify, if I ring up I can do....

LHR-LAX SFO-LHR First class Using my Amex companion voucher

Then in between this....

LAX-HNL and HNL-LAX-SFO First class using purely avois miles.

Thanks for everyones help by the way, it's all very confusing sometimes to say the least
There's also a seasonal flight ORD-HNL, but I know nothing about the onboard service. It will be more than LAX-ORD but you'd save 30k on your BA ticket.

Also I don't think AS options with Avios are fully understood but they fly to HNL and other islands from San Diego, Seattle and Oakland (for SFO) amongst others
Old Nov 17, 2011, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Thing is, with your proposal you're spending 300k miles AND your 2-4-1 whereas you could get two redemption returns for 350k miles, keep your 2-4-1 and have more flexibility over the route.

In other words, you're getting bad value out of that 2-4-1 voucher.

Just looked out of interest at how many miles it costs from Tokyo to HNL - it's 80k r/t each in club with JAL (plus 300 in taxes).

Just a thought...
Old Nov 17, 2011, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
Thing is, with your proposal you're spending 300k miles AND your 2-4-1 whereas you could get two redemption returns for 350k miles, keep your 2-4-1 and have more flexibility over the route.
How do you get 350k. Surely e/w is 25k + 12.5k which makes a total of 450k (37.5k x3 for F, x2 for return, x2 for a couple).
Old Nov 17, 2011, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pauldb
How do you get 350k. Surely e/w is 25k + 12.5k which makes a total of 450k (37.5k x3 for F, x2 for return, x2 for a couple).
Because if you don't use the 2-4-1 it becomes a straight redemption all the way through. LHR-LAX-HNL on one ticket and ba.com is showing that as 175k per person in F.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
Because if you don't use the 2-4-1 it becomes a straight redemption all the way through. LHR-LAX-HNL on one ticket and ba.com is showing that as 175k per person in F.
It's still meant to be the sum of the segments, and the calculator won't price LHR-HNL for me.

And indeed when I do a dummy booking it comes up as 225k pp.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pauldb
It's still meant to be the sum of the segments, and the calculator won't price LHR-HNL for me.

And indeed when I do a dummy booking it comes up as 225k pp.
Ah! My bad. The return put in the TATL sector in Economy (availability wasn't exactly forthcoming). I just assumed it would charge the F miles.

I haven't really looked at the new structure yet, but am wondering what my LHR-BOS-LGA-ORD-LAS in F that I got for 75k would cost now!
Old Nov 17, 2011, 10:31 am

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
DFW-HNL is definitely better than LAX-HNL. I did both last year (from Dallas on the outbound, and back home via LAX).

More regular posters will correct me if I'm wrong, but there's no AVOD in first on the 767. The plane just had tv screens every few rows (the laptops? they have on international business class on AA were not there as it was domestic).

You can also do DFW-OGG on the same type of aircraft. Annoyingly I didn't find this out until after I'd booked to HNL, so had to use the inter island shuttle.

When we went, the only HNL-LAX flight that would get us back to London without an overnight layover departed HNL at 07.10. This was before the lounge opened, so we just sat in Starbucks!
Old Nov 17, 2011, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

The thing is, LA has universal studios what does dallas have lol, don't forget we'd be there for 4-5 days!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.