Search

EWR and JFK

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2011, 11:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
EWR and JFK

Hi all,

We are going to book a trip to NY very soon for Feb using BA miles. We can only fly out to Newark on the BA0187 as it is the only flight with availability left which is a shame because we wanted to fly to JFK on the 747 with the UD.

Apart from the flying dorm (been on it before, don't see what all the fuss is about) are there any other disadvantages of flying to Newark? I thought that maybe the immigration queues could be smaller as it isn't as big as JFK? We are still planning to leave from JFK- many flights available on the return so we can secure the UD then.

Looks like we may be on a non-AVOD aircraft too, the seat map is showing the 4-class VII* configuration. Do the VII* aircraft equipped with NF have AVOD? Maybe we will be lucky and get one of these?
Old Sep 27, 2011, 12:05 pm

Programs: SK*G, BA Silver, Flying Blue, VLM, VT Traveller, PC Platinum, BW Diamond
I have flown this very route a few times, but back on the sleeper 747 from JFK.

I quite like this flight to Newark, I also find it less chaotic and easy to get into Manhattan. Others will argue the time and ease to Manhattan, but as it is your only option anyway, you have nothing to worry about.

What I would deter you from doing is picking seats 10/11 AB/GH. You get a horrid drone/vibration from the engines on the 777 on these rows and it gave me quite a headache, it makes it impossible to get a little bit of sleep. I prefer row 14 which has the added bonus of next to no one walking past you, but not being right next to WT+. Row 12 has a window missing.

I do like the service on this flight, it is dinner straight away, then a bit of sleep/watching tv (it is Non AVOD), then waking up to sandwiches and scones and tea.

Immigration was swift at Newark and getting to the city cheap and quick.

Last edited by globalste; Sep 27, 2011 at 12:24 pm
Old Sep 27, 2011, 12:09 pm

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by mikey2124
Hi all,

We are going to book a trip to NY very soon for Feb using BA miles. We can only fly out to Newark on the BA0187 as it is the only flight with availability left which is a shame because we wanted to fly to JFK on the 747 with the UD.

Apart from the flying dorm (been on it before, don't see what all the fuss is about) are there any other disadvantages of flying to Newark? I thought that maybe the immigration queues could be smaller as it isn't as big as JFK? We are still planning to leave from JFK- many flights available on the return so we can secure the UD then.

Looks like we may be on a non-AVOD aircraft too, the seat map is showing the 4-class VII* configuration. Do the VII* aircraft equipped with NF have AVOD? Maybe we will be lucky and get one of these?
Immigration queues were horrific last time I went through. Luckily I was with my American wife, so we used their lanes.

The non US queues were considerably longer than when I've been through before on my own and it took 45 minutes, so I suspect the queuers were looking at an hour+, so while they may vary, don't expect anything quick, at least if youre on the first BA flight out of LHR
Old Sep 27, 2011, 12:09 pm
awm

Programs: BA Gold for life
Immigration is a bit of a roll of the dice for an evening arrival into EWR or JFK to be honest, so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

The only disadvantage to arriving to EWR is that it requires a bit more effort/expense to get to Manhattan. Taxis retail for something like $70 to the city or you can go by airtrain to EWR airport station then take NJ Transit to Penn station, New York.

I always try to get my departures from JFK - the terminal is better, the lounges are bigger and there are more flights in case of any ops. problems.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies- seems like flying to EWR won't be too bad. globalste I did notice these vibrations in row 11 on my last flight on the 4-Class 777, but I only noticed it at take off. I thought about choosing 14AB and 15A but they are close to WT+ and I can imagine it being very noisy if there is an infant seated in the first rows of WT+.

I wouldn't have thought I will be too tired- on the JER-LGW flight leaving at 10AM and have a nice leisurely connection between that flight and the 17:25 flight to EWR. Hope for AVOD though, but I will bring my Mac too so I can watch movies on that instead.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 2:55 pm

Programs: SK*G, BA Silver, Flying Blue, VLM, VT Traveller, PC Platinum, BW Diamond
You Mac will be much better than AVOD, just watch that instead unless there is a movie you haven't seen and you want to watch it at maximum contrast just to be able to see the terrible resolution and snow.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 3:41 pm
Ambassador

I don't think I've ever found immigration too bad for a late evening arrival into EWR although it's usually a bit of a blur because your body thinks it's about 3am.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Perhaps a silly point but as I understand it these redemptions become 20% cheaper if booked after Nov 1st.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 12:04 am

Swiss Tony is correct. Cabs from ewr are more like 75USD due to tolls. Add tip and it is actually 80... I always try to get JFK as I find EWR immigration a pain.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 12:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Petrus
Swiss Tony is correct. Cabs from ewr are more like 75USD due to tolls. Add tip and it is actually 80... I always try to get JFK as I find EWR immigration a pain.
Ouch... sounds pricey! Hopefully it won't be too bad, the flight is looking very open at the moment, hopefully it will stay that way!

We are not sure if we should wait until 1st November to book to save the extra miles as it seems pretty risky but 60,000 BA miles is a lot to save!

The flight to EWR is wide open and so are most of the returns from JFK 4 days after but the seats can go straight away...
Old Sep 29, 2011, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Put it this way instead...

Book now, r/t in C is 100k miles
Book post Nov 1st, one way C and one way F is 100k miles

Probably not so attractive as you're already starting beyond London, but straight redemptions also give you the option to go via somewhere else (late flight to BOS = no line at immigration, via YYZ and clear US immigration there etc) and you have the flexibility to move back onto the nonstop flight if availability then opens up later.

You really shouldn't be booking this for another 5 weeks IMO.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 6:51 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Always prefer EWR personally.

Never had any queues at Immigration and getting into central Manhattan by train is just so easy with that monorail transfer to the mainline and then 20-25 minutes or so into New York (Penn) station. All for about $10 each way IIRC.

But just remember to get off at New York (Penn), not Newark (Penn). The latter is a bit grim...and is not in Manhattan at all. Apparently this confuses lots of innocent tourists where English is not their first language - particularly as even "Newark" and "New York" are also close in spelling and even pronunciation.

Newark (Penn) is NOT a good place to finish up in late at night
Old Sep 29, 2011, 10:39 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, Scandic 3rd Floor, PC Pleb, FB Off White, Tufty Club
New York (Penn) is pretty grim too. Apparently at one time the station there was as nice as Grand Central, until they decided to build a stadium on top of it...

I would still go for JFK and the 744s, for the more comfortable cabin altitude. I always find the 777s really tiring because the air feels so thin.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 11:01 am
Original Poster

We will see how the availability goes- hopefully we will be able to hold out until 1 Nov. We can book F out and CW back- works quite well as there is plenty of J availability on the return, and we can get F on 4 flights to JFK or EWR on our planned departure day.

Not sure where to book to- the BA189 to EWR leaving at about 2PM is a YMM* 777 so it will definitely have NF, but the BA115 and BA179 to JFK are both 744's- is the JFK route now operated by New F 744's all the time?
Old Sep 29, 2011, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Had a discussion about the times- decided exactly what we will do...

Outbound:

BA2771 JER-LGW, departs 10:00AM, arrives 10:50AM- Club Europe
BA0115 LHR-JFK, departs 4:15PM- First
BA0116 JFK-LHR departs 20:35PM, arrives 08:35AM- Club World
BA2772 LGW-JER departs 11:50AM, arrives 12:40PM- Club Europe

All for 300,000 miles (when new changes happen) and about 990 if taxes stay the same as they are... will they change with the Avios change in November?

At least we now know our times- we will monitor these for the next month and hopefully the availability will stay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.