Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IAG buys LHR slots from BD

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2011, 3:46 am

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or
Originally Posted by Flying Doctor
I think that BA wants some expansion of services at LHR and to add some new ones so I don't think that they will try to move services over from LGW as they did when the new transatlantic agreement started (and Bermuda II was dissolved).
As I mentioned above, I think they might. They will not want to waste these slots and need aircraft to sit these. While BA still have some aircraft in storage, I'm not sure they have enough to man all these slots and they need to use them from October. If so, a quick, short term option, may be to move aircraft and crew over (with less aircraft they would need less at LGW).

The new MF fleet are on broadly the same terms as LGW single fleet and an incentive could be made to bring them over, and bring their experience (and try some new destinations). In time the leisure routes would move back to LGW, when new aircraft come on stream, but getting slots back at LGW will be easier than maintaing slots at LHR without aircraft to run on them.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 1:45 pm

OK - not very interesting. Slots being used for: MAN, EDI, ORY, PRG, NCE, GLA. Each one extra daily flight.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 2:21 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Originally Posted by jaseuk
OK - not very interesting. Slots being used for: MAN, EDI, ORY, PRG, NCE, GLA. Each one extra daily flight.
What's your source ??
Old Sep 29, 2011, 3:51 pm

Putting random dates into ba.com for December shows nine services each way between LHR and GLA. That's up from eight currently? One other date showed ten services from LHR - GLA with an 08:00 and 08:30 departure.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 4:03 pm

Programs: BA bronze
Originally Posted by cornishsimon
What's your source ??
You're probably asking this because you are interested in where the information comes from.. or because you want to know more about the extra flights.

However, asking 'what's your source' can be seen as quite challenging and indicative that you don't believe the information presented. It's kind of a loaded phrase. alasdair_m has already provided some corroborating information.

Perhaps if you do want to find more information, a less loaded question might get a better response? Sources are not always declarable or indeed definable.

Old Sep 29, 2011, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Speedbird218
You're probably asking this because you are interested in where the information comes from.. or because you want to know more about the extra flights.

However, asking 'what's your source' can be seen as quite challenging and indicative that you don't believe the information presented. It's kind of a loaded phrase. alasdair_m has already provided some corroborating information.

Perhaps if you do want to find more information, a less loaded question might get a better response? Sources are not always declarable or indeed definable.

As we know sources cant always be spoken about on a public forum.

I think that cornishsimon was just asking for more info, thats all nothing more than that.

There have been a number of threads on here where the source has caused them to be locked. Anyway all information if correct at the time of being published but BA like all companies will change their mind if needed.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 4:17 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Originally Posted by origin

I think that cornishsimon was just asking for more info, thats all nothing more than that.

There have been a number of threads on here where the source has caused them to be locked. Anyway all information if correct at the time of being published but BA like all companies will change their mind if needed.
Spot on. No harm intended !!

Just curious for some more information about the increases in rotations

cs
Old Sep 29, 2011, 4:19 pm

Programs: BA bronze

Over the last year, we have seen a number of posters, post info on here, and posters demanding that they reveal the source of their information.

We should just accept that people post info on here, not ask for the source, and if its incorrect someone will point it out.

Old Sep 29, 2011, 4:23 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
I bet putting an extra rotation on those short haul routes is the easiest way to use the slots. Thus I would expect these extra rotations to be dropped in time, when new aircraft and/or new routes become available.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 4:47 pm
Ambassador

BAA ran an advert in this week's Economist alluding to the need for the expansion of LHR and how it was falling behind FRA/AMS/CDG in its coverage of emerging markets.

Hopefully BA will be able to use these slots in more exciting ways once aircraft become available.

Edit: The thought process for this post seemed more coherent before I wrote it. Apologies.

Last edited by BA304; Sep 29, 2011 at 4:55 pm
Old Sep 30, 2011, 3:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We should just accept that people post info on here, not ask for the source, and if its incorrect someone will point it out.
How can somthing be incorrect. If someone posts info on here then they know something other people dont know and are sharing it. Either there are lots of people who think they CEO of BA and know everything or just people with big egos who think they know everything. Even the CEO doesnt know everything about all the flights BA makes.

I dont understand how we correct something. Origin is getting confused.

In this case CS just wanted a bit more info.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 3:58 am

In this case CS just wanted a bit more info.
Something ill think very carefully about asking for in future !

thought i had missed some sort of press release or something! However i can certainly see the point of adding capacity to Scotland, as we know on here the GLA route especially, is lacking capacity since BD pulled out

cs
Old Sep 30, 2011, 4:02 am

I doubt IAG have gone to the expense of buying six slot pairs simply to put a extra short haul rotation on them. You might get an A320 to slot-sit them in the short term but you can bet the long term plan is to throw them all in the big slot plot and cook up some more useful long haul slot pairs.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 4:30 am

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or
Originally Posted by Panic Stations
I doubt IAG have gone to the expense of buying six slot pairs simply to put a extra short haul rotation on them. You might get an A320 to slot-sit them in the short term but you can bet the long term plan is to throw them all in the big slot plot and cook up some more useful long haul slot pairs.
Make sense. I expect, particularly for the US, Summer will be a better time to kick off anything new. Plus the global economy is still not in a great shape to try something new and bold. I also expect one month is too short notice to set something, to a new longhaul destination, up.

But interesting that some of the routes (EDI, MAN and NCE) will result in additional competition for BD. What with there move to longhaul service to DME, I can see that they're really trying to squeeze BD.

Last edited by Dan72; Sep 30, 2011 at 4:37 am
Old Sep 30, 2011, 4:45 am

Programs: VS Silver; BA Blue; HH Gold; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Dan72
Make sense. I expect, particularly for the US, Summer will be a better time to kick off anything new. Plus the global economy is still not in a great shape to try something new and bold. I also expect one month is too short notice to set something, to a new longhaul destination, up.

But interesting that some of the routes (EDI, MAN and NCE) will result in additional competition for BD. What with there move to longhaul service to DME, I can see that they're really trying to squeeze BD.
Also, next summer there will be HUGE demand for flights into LHR for the olympics... These will not be serving UK airports then. In fact, I would imagine that most UK airport flights (and possibly Paris) might be reduced down in frequency if they can gain more by flights to EU...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.