Search

IAG buys LHR slots from BD

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2011, 1:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Club, Virgin FC
IAG buys LHR slots from BD

Haven't seen this posted on here yet...

As per the BA Source, IAG has bought six slot pairs from bmi, with short n long haul route expansion due to start in October....

http://www.thebasource.com/ (first story top left)

I don't think they'll be any new routes, just expansion on current routes...especially Madrid

Regards
Old Sep 23, 2011, 1:37 am

Programs: Latinpass Million Miler. BA Gold.
BA purchases slots from bmi

BA has purchased six slot pairs from bmi it is reported today in the trade press. BA is looking to expand, but no decision yet for which route these slots are.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 1:51 am

Programs: MUCCI -- What else matters?
hrm. I'll start the speculation then. So if much of the "value" of BMI is because of its Heathrow slots, selling them makes it less likely that there'll be an attractive clean takeover of some sort? :-)
Old Sep 23, 2011, 2:10 am

Programs: BA Silver, HHonors Silver, Marriott Club, Priority Club Club
http://www.iagshares.com/phoenix.zht...466&highlight=

Would the new HKG use half a pair - as it is only 3 days a week...
Old Sep 23, 2011, 2:12 am

Programs: Latinpass Million Miler. BA Gold.
Originally Posted by SimonsMiles
hrm. I'll start the speculation then. So if much of the "value" of BMI is because of its Heathrow slots, selling them makes it less likely that there'll be an attractive clean takeover of some sort? :-)
Most of it? Perhaps even more than book value?
Old Sep 23, 2011, 2:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NotGoingBackToSteerage

What happened to the old slots they used.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 3:43 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
I think the break up of BMI has already started. LH started to sell their lucrative assets and closing down many routes.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 5:54 am

Programs: BA Silver, AClub Platinum, Hilton & Marriott Silver, SPG, others
I know we've had this conversation before, but since it's Friday:

If you had the choice, which destinations would get the 6 slot pairs?
Old Sep 23, 2011, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Icarusian

If you had the choice, which destinations would get the 6 slot pairs?
HKG as said above. The flights are full on that route.

I would have to think about the rest.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 6:06 am

Programs: BA Silver, several other less interesting cards...
Originally Posted by origin
I would have to think about the rest.
No need - they are already discussing it on airliners.net
Old Sep 23, 2011, 7:38 am
uk1
Suspended

I want compensation.

I was relying on DC points becoming Avios points at a multiple of 10 to 1 when BA took over BMI for the LHR slots. Now they are not. Just the slots. It's rape and pillage. I want to be the exploiter not the exploited. It isn't fair.

I'm contacting my MP and Watchdog to get this sorted out pronto.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 8:34 am

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or
Originally Posted by origin
What happened to the old slots they used.
I'm sure they would have been snapped by other routes, LAS, SAN etc, otherwise they would lose the slots. But remember, QF have also agreed to let BA slot sit, following their withdrawal from LHR - BKK and LHR - HKG, so it's likely that we still have scope to see 6 additional services, in addition to the new HKG services.

Where they fly to, I expect, will depend as much on what aircraft they have. I know they still have some 747s stored, I suppose they could also bring a route and aircracft from Gatwick, particularly if they feel the market is not ready for a new route...
Old Sep 23, 2011, 8:51 am

Programs: BA Gold, CX Gold (OW Sapphire), Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by NotGoingBackToSteerage

From memory, the HKG flights are being operated on slots being leased by BA from QF.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 10:07 am

Programs: SK*G, BA Silver, Flying Blue, VLM, VT Traveller, PC Platinum, BW Diamond
BA starts buying BMi landing slots - Beardie one starts writing letters

From ABTN

British Airways has bought six pairs of take off and landing slots at London Heathrow Airport from bmi.

It gives the UK national carrier 45% of the slots at the countrys major airport.

The move has increased specualtion that the International Airline Group (IAG) of which BA is apart, could buy more slots from the loss making bmi or even take over the whole airline.

The Lufthansa Group, which bought bmi in 2009, is considering the airlines future after it posted a loss of 120m for the first six months of this year.

Lufthansa itself is also suffering in the current economic climate and issued a profits warning last week.

The six pairs of slots, which analysts estimated would cost between 100m and 150m, will be used to expand both BAs short and long haul services, possibly including new destinations.

A spokesman for Lufthansa said bmi no longer needed the slots for its operations.

Willie Walsh, while ceo of BA, made no secret of his interest in acquiring bmi.

Now ceo for IAG following BAs merger with the Spanish carrier Iberia, Walsh repeated his interest in bolting on both bmi and the Portuguese airline TAP to the IAG empire.

However in a speech to the London Irish Business Society in London earlier this month, he ruled out bidding for Aer Lingus where he was also once ceo.
Sir Richard Branson has warned airline regulators to keep a sharp eye on Lufthansas planned sale of BMI after BA bought six pairs of slots from the loss making carrier at Heathrow.

The president of Virgin Atlantic accused his long time rival of salami slicing the assets of BMI.

He said he was concerned BA was buying up BMIs key assets, increasing their dominance at the airport and leaving an uncompetitive and unattractive rump for sale.

Virgin which, like BA, is interested in buying BMI, said it planned to write to the UK Office of Fair Trading and the EC asking that all sales of BMI assets are looked at as a whole so competition is not diminished piecemeal without protection for consumers.

Sir Richard said:With BA already holding such a dominant position at Heathrow, it cannot be beneficial to the consumer in any way if BA continues to disproportionately strengthen its position and it will also undoubtedly concern BMI's staff and pilots.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes I saw this earlier today.

http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/Articl...ng+of+bmi.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.