Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IAG buys LHR slots from BD

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2011, 10:22 am

Programs: BA Gold
I think I saw somewhere else that Virgin thought the slots were for for leasing and not for sale.

Starting to sound like a broken record. If BA puts up the cash then I cant see what his problem is.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 10:29 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Originally Posted by ardboe
Starting to sound like a broken record. If BA puts up the cash then I cant see what his problem is.
It is a Pavlovian reaction from Beardie. Mention BA and their getting ahead of him and he starts frothing at the mouth!
Old Sep 27, 2011, 10:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
I thought 'selling' of slots was verbotten?
Old Sep 27, 2011, 10:46 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Jenbel
According to Lufthansa CEO Christoph Franz, they are giving slots to enemies in exchange for cash.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 11:24 am

I know a way Beardie could put a stop to BA's dastardly deeds - he could buy bmi! Much more effective than doing nothing but moan. I suspect he's not interested enough to do that, though...
Old Sep 27, 2011, 12:48 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Anyone know what the score is as far as BMIR goes ? is this also being offloaded by LH ?

cs
Old Sep 27, 2011, 12:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by Jenbel
not anymore - EU rules changed some time ago. All allowed.

Anyway, there was a very functional legal work around beforehand - used by flybe and others to 'sell' their Heathrow slots.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 12:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by cornishsimon
Anyone know what the score is as far as BMIR goes ? is this also being offloaded by LH ?

cs
Per Lufthansa's investor day (see the Lufi website) they seem to be exploring all options - with more news in the coming months.

Given it lost 38/pax flown apparently, I don't rate its long-term chances in its present form.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 1:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1MM
I'm confused. I understand that LHR is slot restricted, but I had assumed that BA had spare slots it did not use. They still have planes parked in the desert and are currently operating less aircraft than a couple of years ago. How did they manage to use those extra aircraft before if there are no additional slots? I understand that routings may have changed meaning the aicraft come in and out of LHR more frequently, but I had assumed that less aircraft would need less slots.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 1:07 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Originally Posted by DFB_london
Per Lufthansa's investor day (see the Lufi website) they seem to be exploring all options - with more news in the coming months.

Given it lost 38/pax flown apparently, I don't rate its long-term chances in its present form.

Thanks for that,
my thoughts would be along the lines of bringing BMIR into BA Cityflyer but at 38/pax flown loss i dont see that happening.

but given that they operate a fleet of 19 ERJ 135/145, some decent staff and a few half decent routes, i think it could be something BA might look at.

I also noticed the following as far as BMI goes:
http://www.abtn.co.uk/news/2716350-b...mestic-flights
article is regarding the reduction of BMI domestic flights, so seems plenty more domestic customers for BA to be picking up on

cs
Old Sep 27, 2011, 1:08 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by jlsw7
I'm confused. I understand that LHR is slot restricted, but I had assumed that BA had spare slots it did not use. They still have planes parked in the desert and are currently operating less aircraft than a couple of years ago. How did they manage to use those extra aircraft before if there are no additional slots? I understand that routings may have changed meaning the aicraft come in and out of LHR more frequently, but I had assumed that less aircraft would need less slots.
Don't forget, in the past two years BA has taken delivery of four 777-200s and three 777-300s.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 1:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1MM
But the 777s are very slot efficient - each 777 will only visit LHR about once per day. Each 320 will probably visit LHR about 3 times per day.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by JamieT
I know a way Beardie could put a stop to BA's dastardly deeds - he could buy bmi! Much more effective than doing nothing but moan. I suspect he's not interested enough to do that, though...
Quite right. And if that's too pricey he could also bid to buy any of the remaining slots, although it appears he morally objects to such 'salami slicing'
Old Sep 27, 2011, 6:07 pm

I suppose one thing to hope here if BA manage to pick up any more LHR slots that they don't use it as an opportunity to reduce longhaul at gatwick and switch services to heathrow

cs
Old Sep 28, 2011, 1:09 am

Programs: MUCCI
I think that BA wants some expansion of services at LHR and to add some new ones so I don't think that they will try to move services over from LGW as they did when the new transatlantic agreement started (and Bermuda II was dissolved).

Originally Posted by cornishsimon
I suppose one thing to hope here if BA manage to pick up any more LHR slots that they don't use it as an opportunity to reduce longhaul at gatwick and switch services to heathrow

cs

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.