Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

ANNOUNCEMENT - A new revitalised Executive Club is coming

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ANNOUNCEMENT - A new revitalised Executive Club is coming

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2011, 3:24 am

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
I like. The reduced rates benefit the routes I am most interested in with the Asia savings look especially attractive. While I won't make much use of the shorthaul changes I can see that being an attractive proposition for those earning a few miles but not many. After all we've all criticsed shorthaul as a poor use of miles and EC have addressed this.

Even stepping away from the personal the changes make Exec Club an even more attractive proposition. ^
I agree, from a personal point of view the changes suit me well, particularly the routes I generally try to redeem on.

The changes to Europe are certainly beneficial as well, particularly over longer routes to DME, IST, ATH, etc.

I think the BAEC have done well with the changes which so far appear more beneficial to members than negative.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 3:24 am

Location: 15 minutes west of LHR, Stockholm, or somewhere inbetween.
Programs: BAEC Gold GGL, CCR, GfL, Mucci des Recherches des Consommations Exotiques.
On the face of it, it looks like the advantages outweigh the disadvantages, but as we don't yet have full details, I'll await the rest of the information that is to be released before making any judgment.

bjorns
Old Sep 1, 2011, 3:25 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
This whole thing seems to be [mostly] good news for what we currently call BAEC redemptions, with cheaper simpler European redemptions and many cheaper long haul redemptions.

On the other hand this seems to be [mostly] bad news for what we currently call airmiles.co.uk redemptions with a return to Paris increasing from 750 to 900 miles(ignoring the 10x) and an extra £27 on top. Although for CE and some central European destinations it will be slightly better. As long as the short notice availability of armiles.co.uk flights remains as good as it is now, I won't mind too much.

Programs: BAEC (Gold), Hilton (Gold)
Seems to be good changes all round.

I especially like the lowering of redemption rates to NRT - my constant cravings for all things Japanese can be indulged still more often !

I think the changes to Euro-redemptions are good as well, definitely addresses what was always a big weakness in the whole program.

BAH

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
Originally Posted by BahrainLad
I gather there are more changes to come, so anything is possible.
Have you been down the boozer with the LGW baggage handlers again?
Old Sep 1, 2011, 3:27 am

Programs: F
Originally Posted by BahrainLad
I gather there are more changes to come, so anything is possible.
Well, Airmiles Avios collectors will be able to redeem into premium seats, so I don't think BA Blues will be banned.

Premium flights

You can still fly premium with your Avios. But now it's even better value to fly in cabins like British Airways' Club World – for just twice the Avios of economy.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 3:28 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
Originally Posted by srbrenna
Have you been down the boozer with the LGW baggage handlers again?
Nah, I was having a natter with another friend in a high place in an industry relevant to this board (aka the woman on the cosmetics counter at the World Duty Free in Terminal 3) and she gave me all the info on the forthcoming changes.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 3:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Jamjaw
The BT article said you can merge Airmiles Avios and BA Avios... No mention of IB in there...
Where does it say that? All I can see are:

Originally Posted by Business Traveller
All three programmes remain separate: Avios will replace Air Miles, but BA Exec Club and Iberia Plus remain as three distinct programmes “... keeping their brands and heritage which has value for the airlines which have different customer bases”.

<snip>

Avios members will not, however, earn tier points. Anyone wanting to earn status would have to join one of the airline programmes.

Swaffield believes that customers will make the choice of whether to be an Avios customer and earn on spend and burn on a range of options such as Eurostar journeys, hotel accommodation, UK days out at LegoLand, Alton Towers and spa and golf breaks, while the flyer programme members will concentrate their efforts on flights, albeit with the addition of hotels and car rentals now being options for burning points.
I can find no mention of merging an Airmiles account with a BAEC account - the programmes will continue to run independently, the only change being that they now share a common currency.

Incidentally, about the pronunciation...

Originally Posted by Business Traveller
The name Avios, which “means nothing” according to Swaffield, was chosen because it was “easy to pronounce, scalable, international and would work around the world, yet also hinted at aviation and travel.”
Lol
Old Sep 1, 2011, 3:31 am

Originally Posted by FAQ via Irish Guy

Can I cancel my existing reward flight and rebook using Reward Flight Saver?

Yes. You can cancel an existing reward flight and book a Reward Flight Saver. But you will only be able to book Reward Flight Saver tickets when they go live in November. And once a reward flight is cancelled, there is no guarantee there will be space available on the same flight.

which suggests that no, there will not be automatic refunds...
It is quite worrying that they call it Reward Flight Saver - this means there will be a two-tiered points system, and like with most other program who have this feature, very few tickets available at this level, so before anyone pops the Pom it would be more interesting to see what the "standard level miles" requirement will be.

Also, what a poor name in order to keep brand identity. Changing the miles name rather than programme name is an easy fix to say BA/IB is one.

And I think 'more recognition' simply alludes to the Bronze tier being introduced (as in more people will get recognition).

Comment: Think I may be mistaken and that the Reward Flight Saver is not going to be applicable on LH - but most programmes that have this name also usually introduce a the two layers

Last edited by dodgeflyer; Sep 1, 2011 at 3:38 am
Old Sep 1, 2011, 3:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
So far so good ... ^
Prophets of Doom have proved incorrect, it seems.

On a personal level, I like the prospect of needing fewer Miles to MFU an East Coast TATL.
Shame I've already booked for May 2012 already
And everything else we use, like MFU, seems to be the same.

The Zone 1-3 deal [Reward Flight Saver] will undoubtedly be popular with many people, especially TP runners!

Now, what about this "Bronze" thing?
I guess that will be part of the "Breaking News" later in the year?
Old Sep 1, 2011, 3:32 am

The changes to the ET/CE redemptions are fantastic! Great to see that something is being done about the poor value for miles for zones 1-3. Now I can finally justify trying CE =D
Old Sep 1, 2011, 3:36 am

Programs: BA silver
As BA and IB will now have the same FFP will this mean the end of differential (lower) earnings rates on IB? For example LHR-MAD IB "discounted" economy 196 miles, BA (with Silver card) 1570 miles

It seems quite strange to give such a strong incentive to use BA rather than IB flights when they are both part of the same company.

It would also be really nice if my Amex 241 voucher became valid on IB but I suspect that's too much to hope for!
Old Sep 1, 2011, 3:37 am
Ambassador

Other than the name Avios (yes I know it evokes flight in many languages but it's still ridiculous in my opinion) this all sounds promising.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 3:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dodgeflyer
Comment: Think I may be mistaken and that the Reward Flight Saver is not going to be applicable on LH - but most programmes that have this name also usually introduce a the two layers
It is just a name applied to the new Euro redemption award.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 3:43 am

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
It is just a name applied to the new Euro redemption award.
I saw that - and thus made the comment - but I think this will be forthcoming anyway. They will introduce a new layer for all reward flights but this would most likely take more time - I think within 2012...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.