Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why Gold is worth it

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2011, 10:28 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
In all my flights as Gold I have never had an op up! My last chance is flying back to Vegas on Thursday before I drop down to Silver

I have found the Gold card very useful when I had to get rerouted and I do like the Flounge at LHR. The Flounge at LAX is pretty basic, I had never thought about going to the J lounge there but I guess I will see for myself if it is nicer on my next trip!

aks120
Old Jul 25, 2011, 10:47 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by frb98mf
These days I think the LHR lounges are the only real difference, until you get higher inside Gold with stuff like GGL, CCR, GUF2 etc.
If you mainly towards the front I think that's spot on. Shame really
Old Jul 25, 2011, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Aloxford
There is some building work going on around the entrance to the Johannesburg lounge - is it being enlarged so there will be a seat for everyone in there?
No. Menzies (who also operate the Shongololo lounge) is building a new lounge, whose main purpose appears to be to offer a smoking facility.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 12:58 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
The JFK F lounge is nicely finished but the F&B offering is very poor. One Thursday night a couple of weeks ago the sandwiches had run out by 1930 and I am sure that they are the same as the ones offered in the Club lounge.

For those Golds amongst us forced to travel WT+ on East Coast flights it's pretty annoying.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Petrus
I was there Saturday. Both lounges (and also the CCR) have been refurbished recently to the Galleries standard. First lounge has become a much nicer place however Terraces is still a very nice place to hang around.
I think the JFK F Lounge refurb happened some time ago at least unless anything additionally radical happened in the last 8 months the F Lounge was in full Galleries dress as long ago as November 2009 in my experience. Apart from being a bit quieter ad with slightly nicer free pour Champagne I don't see a big difference from the J side which is larger, airier and contains better catering (and all pre-flight dining)

I have never noticed any differential service as a Gold in fact on occasion I am pretty sure I am certain I have been treated worse than non status passengers in the same cabin. Certainly in irregular ops/lost baggage scenarios BA seems to care not a jot what colour my card is.

At LHR Galleries F is MUCH better than the regular Galleries and I don't really like the layout or style of the South Galleries Club Lounge. That said given that I don't often travel from LHR I am pretty sure I could have a very pleasant couple of hours in Plane Food with higher quality food and drink for much less than I pay per year simply to renew my Gold card, something I am thinking long and hard about this year as the Gold benefits evaporate further year on year.

One final thing in nearly 10 years now as a Gold (including 9 months of silver status) I have NEVER received an Op Up of any kind whatsoever, no matter how busy the flight I was booked on was. So I seriously doubt that Gold means that much to BA and consequently it is meaning a lot less for me.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
I have no idea what is going on with the CCR at LHR, but the lat 2 times I was there, late June and this past wednesday, the room was full. On the way out (June) I asked the manager (whom I know) the reason, he said school holiday. On the return same question he couldn't answer. There was a long line for the ladies room, so long that I used the men's.

Have no idea what is going on.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 2:08 am

Programs: TK/QR Gold, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, Avis/Hertz PC
Originally Posted by LeisureFirst
Horses for courses. Clearly you travel a lot in WT or WTP. Some, on the other hand, would say Gold is only good for being able to snag 1A or 1K in advance .
I've flown a fairly even mix of all 4 classes, really.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 3:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by aks120
In all my flights as Gold I have never had an op up! My last chance is flying back to Vegas on Thursday before I drop down to Silver
Sounds crazy I know, but you may have a better chance as Silver...
Old Jul 26, 2011, 4:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by heckenhocker
Whether the above examples are unpublished benefits, or good fortune, I don't know.
I had one experience which I'm pretty sure was "unpublished benefit" rather than simple good fortune.

When I disembarked I accidentally left my toiletries bag on the aircraft because I hadn't checked the floor-level laptop drawer. I discovered this when I was having my shower in the Arrivals Lounge. The lounge receptionist phoned a number of different people to find out how it could be retrieved from the aircraft, which had by then been towed to the maintenance base. I heard her use the words "Gold card holder" when she was trying to persuade someone to drive over to the other side of the airfield to get it and bring it over to T5. It was all my own stupid fault, but it was then fixed for me in less than an hour, rather than having to go through the whole lost property business with no assurance of getting my medications etc back.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 4:51 am

Programs: BA, Marriott, Hertz, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
I used both the T3 Flounge and the Galleries South on a recent trip. Whilst the Flounge had better food and drink, the other lounge had a better selection of magazines. Superyacht World, RaceTech and Polo et al in the former -all very lovely on your coffee table, but very niche; T3, Homes & Gardens, Golf International in the latter.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 5:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, FB Petroleum Club, HH Gold, A-Club Platinum
Originally Posted by Globaliser
I had one experience which I'm pretty sure was "unpublished benefit" rather than simple good fortune.

When I disembarked I accidentally left my toiletries bag on the aircraft because I hadn't checked the floor-level laptop drawer. I discovered this when I was having my shower in the Arrivals Lounge. The lounge receptionist phoned a number of different people to find out how it could be retrieved from the aircraft, which had by then been towed to the maintenance base. I heard her use the words "Gold card holder" when she was trying to persuade someone to drive over to the other side of the airfield to get it and bring it over to T5. It was all my own stupid fault, but it was then fixed for me in less than an hour, rather than having to go through the whole lost property business with no assurance of getting my medications etc back.

Had similar experience at DXB as Silver/First pax.

After I went through the passport control I realized that I forgot a gift on a shopping bag inside the wardrobe between 1A/K. I went upstairs to the departures to find a BA agent which she was much helpful (probably because of my 1A).
Old Jul 26, 2011, 6:00 am

Programs: Mucci of the Dominion of Maple and Moose; Keeper of Sir MightyMoose; BAEC Silver; AC MileagePlus
When things go awry...

... that's when you see the benefits of the extra shiny lil card I think. The one time I had a serious delay (snow storm last year) was also while I was a GCH - was treated nicely and efficiently before Silvers (they prioritised hotel room allotment accordingly) on landing at ORD. Not sure what happened to the Blues tho... hope they weren't left in the cold!
Old Jul 26, 2011, 6:04 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Muccis du Monde des Peluches
Originally Posted by Savage25
I've flown a fairly even mix of all 4 classes, really.
My point was simply that the benefits to which you referred were WT/WTP benefits. If you travel only in CW and F on longhaul (as I do, fortunately, being a leisure traveller) then the Arrivals Lounge benefit is irrelevant and I would guess you're unlikely to get a 50% op-up rate.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 6:08 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Muccis du Monde des Peluches
Originally Posted by BahrainLad
The JFK F lounge is nicely finished but the F&B offering is very poor. One Thursday night a couple of weeks ago the sandwiches had run out by 1930 and I am sure that they are the same as the ones offered in the Club lounge.
Are you sure about the sandwiches? I thought the JFK Flounge sandwiches were lovely. Do they have the same on offer in the Club lounge? I've been missing them for years if they do - much tastier than the pre-flight dining.

The JFK Flounge also had an endless stream of Veuve. I've never seen any champagne in the Club lounge, not even in the pre-flight dining area. Is it on request only like at LHR? Which one do you get? (Incidentally, I can't recall exactly what fizz I had the one time I was in the JFK CCR but it certainly wasn't anything special).
Old Jul 26, 2011, 6:24 am

Programs: BA
My only op up happened in February from BOS to LHR - CW to First. My colleague didn't get upgraded and when I asked on her behalf I was told they were doing Golds first and I could always swap with her if I wanted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.