Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TP Run to JER - a bit of PR

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2011, 1:45 am

Programs: BA Silver (soft landing!), HH Gold
says something when you've done LGW-JER so often that, as last week, one of the 'guards' at the top of the ramp down to gate 55 recognised me..' iknow that face, back again?!' ... geez!

Originally from Guernsey, but now based in Jersey, and given the rivalry, I get stick from both sides, but prefer Jersey from a 'things happening' perspective, of which there is truly none in GCI. Having said that, Guernsey is by far the prettier island of the two, although neither come close to Herm

Do check the link above, hard to believe, but it's not in the indian ocean!

Have a BE this weekend over to EXT, did consider driving down from LGW, but had a 'free' BE flight to take.. taxes and crazy 'charges' make this anything but free though.

TP runs to JER would beat AMS any day in my view, 1. it's so easy, quick turnaround, no long walks. 2. opportunity to overnight in a lovely island rather than big city 3. some top FT posters are based here!
Old Jun 23, 2011, 3:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by englishoaks
TP runs to JER would beat AMS any day in my view, 1. it's so easy, quick turnaround, no long walks.
Doesn't AMS have this one too? Unless they've segregated arrivals and departures since my last trip.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 3:43 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Originally Posted by layz
Doesn't AMS have this one too? Unless they've segregated arrivals and departures since my last trip.
Indeed they do. Walk off the jetty and instead of turning left with all the lemmings towards baggage reclaim, do a sharp right and you are in the embarcation area for the return flight.

You can walk about 100 yards to the left and there are a number of shops including a delicatessen.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 4:09 am

Programs: BA Silver, AF Ivory
... but, your inbound is not always the same plane so you may need to wander around the D gates a bit !
Old Jun 23, 2011, 4:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
HOTELS

For hotels, a lot hinges on your budget, of course, and whether you are renting a car.

I would suggest exploring, via Tripadvisor any of the following:

In St Helier
The Pomme d'Or
The Royal Yacht
The Grand
The Radisson

Further afield
Longueville Manor
The Atlantic
Chateau La Chaire
The Somerville

FWIW, we always used to stay at Chateau La Chaire in the years before we moved here. But it's rather remote and, although on a bus route, is more for people with a car.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about specific establishments - I'll try to help. Loads of general info is at Visit Jersey
Old Jun 23, 2011, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by OPebble
Indeed they do. Walk off the jetty and instead of turning left with all the lemmings towards baggage reclaim, do a sharp right and you are in the embarcation area for the return flight.
And at JER, in between the door by which you enter the building and Gate 3 is the modest BA/OneWorld Lounge. Eligible pax are boarded from the Lounge once the herd at the Gate have been boarded.

Last edited by T8191; Jun 23, 2011 at 4:28 am Reason: Wrong airport!!
Old Jun 23, 2011, 4:23 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Originally Posted by T8191
And in between the door by which you enter the building and Gate 3 is the modest BA/OneWorld Lounge. Eligible pax are boarded from the Lounge once the herd at the Gate have been boarded.
AMS!?!
Old Jun 23, 2011, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by OPebble
AMS!?!
Eeeek ... and previous post amended!!
Remind me not to try multi-tasking at my age!!
Old Jun 23, 2011, 4:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
And in between the door by which you enter the building and Gate 3 is the modest BA/OneWorld Lounge. Eligible pax are boarded from the Lounge once the herd at the Gate have been boarded.
The JER lounge being the only BA lounge that takes Priority Pass I believe, useful to know if you're a statusless pax who's not doing a CE TP run.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 8:08 am

Programs: Mucci Petit Four de Pucci, RedVee's Navigator Badge, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Two hours is really quite tight. A gentle stroll to the Jersey Aero Club for a coffee is about all you could realistically manage - about 15 mins each way, at the East end of the Airport [land-side, obviously]. IIRC they have a website.
That looks like a good suggestion; many thanks! The website is interesting. Wilco!!
Old Jun 23, 2011, 8:25 am

Programs: No longer bothered chasing FF status.
Some nice hotels on that list T8191 ^

I'm getting some nice fares with EI DUB/JER for later in the summer.

I think a wee trip just might in the offing
Old Jun 23, 2011, 9:36 am

Programs: BA Gold
If any of you want to do a TP run in a day, this is what you could do (in summer):

1. 7:20AM- Fly from LGW-JER on the BA8033, Arrive at 8:40AM.
2. 9AM- Hire a cheap car for the day (Ford KA or similar).
3. 9:15AM- Head down to Big Verns in St.Ouen for breakfast.
4. 10AM- Get back into the car and head down to St.Brelade's Bay for a day on the beach!
5. 4PM- Head up to Pizza Express (best situated in the whole of UK, offering amazing views) and have an early dinner.
6. 5:30PM- Head back up to JER, drop off hire car.
7. 6:00PM- Check in, go through security.
8. 6:15PM- quick change of clothes, head to the BA lounge.
9. 7:45PM- fly from JER-LGW, arrive back at LGW for 8:30PM.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Dammit, I have to agree with mikey ... probably the finest fast-food, MEGA full-English breakfast on the Rock.

How could I have forgotten Big Vern's? Every time family come over from that big island thing, the first post of call [toddler or elderly] is an all-day breakfast at Big Vern's.
http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaur...l_Islands.html

Paul, if you read this I am SO sorry

BTW, it's on the coast to the west of the airport ... so you can also watch the aircraft coming in/out [depending on runway in use].
Old Jun 23, 2011, 10:41 am

Programs: BA Gold
Also try the Hungry Man at Rozel Bay... only a small kiosk but with tables + chairs outside and offers stunning views- and the food is absolutely amazing!!

Going to be 28C on Sunday according to the BBC and I have a french speaking exam on Monday morning... if any revision takes place, it will be down the beach!
Old Jun 23, 2011, 10:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by mikey2124
I have a french speaking exam on Monday morning... if any revision takes place, it will be down the beach!
Ce qu'est une belle paire de melons.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.