Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

OT: The Hebrides. When? Where? How to get there?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OT: The Hebrides. When? Where? How to get there?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2011, 11:49 pm

Yep, it starts to look more and more like if we want to tour the isles to the north, the best way would be getting to Benbecula one way or another, and rent the car there (at least google maps turned up several agencies). Would they normally have similar restrictions for cars hired up there, that you can't leave the island (or in this case I suppose, the islands connected by bridges)?

Been on a twin otter a couple of times before, that's why I'm concerned about the baggage allowance... but I guess we'll manage, we're trying to travel as light as we can.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 10:20 am

Programs: F
Originally Posted by HELflyer
Yep, it starts to look more and more like if we want to tour the isles to the north, the best way would be getting to Benbecula one way or another, and rent the car there (at least google maps turned up several agencies). Would they normally have similar restrictions for cars hired up there, that you can't leave the island (or in this case I suppose, the islands connected by bridges)?

Been on a twin otter a couple of times before, that's why I'm concerned about the baggage allowance... but I guess we'll manage, we're trying to travel as light as we can.
I believe that the bus routes on the islands are a reasonable way to get about. Would not be a bad way to transfer from one island to another, and just hire a car for local trips on that island. Saves the problem of having to get the car back to its starting point.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 1:52 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club,Skywards,Hilton Honours,Mariott Rewards,SPG
As a follow-up to my post 69, I've found some of the photographs taken on Skye in mid October 2010.

Sunrise over Staffin Bay

View over Staffin Bay to West

Sailing back to Elgol from Loch Coruisk

View towards Portree from Needle of Old Man of Storr

Last edited by stevie-d; Jun 22, 2011 at 1:30 pm
Old Jun 21, 2011, 3:21 pm

Programs: BA, UA, Marriot
Originally Posted by Sean Bhalach
Harris has the most stunning and varied scenery of them all, from the mountainous North Harris (with the Cliseam at 2622 feet being the highest in the island chain)
I once spent six hours in my own company on a hike that included Clisham. I say "in my own company" because between my wife dropping me off and her picking me up again I saw not a single other human being. However, I did come face-to-face with a rather magnificent stag just below the summit of Clisham. He looked at me, I looked at him. I went into my back-pack to grab a camera and when I looked up again he had gone.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 3:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by stevie-d
As a follow-up to my post 69, I've found some of the photographs taken on Skye in mid October 2010.
Great pictures. ^

If only the sun shone like that all the time.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 4:00 pm

Programs: BA gold
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Great pictures. ^

If only the sun shone like that all the time.
Indeed not!

Old Jun 21, 2011, 4:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Stez
Indeed not!
Ah, normal weather has resumed.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 5:05 am

We spent 2 weeks on the Isle of Lewis, Isle of Harris and Isle of Skye last summer. Lewis and Harris in particular have some of the most amazing beaches - miles long, golden sand, blue sky and no one else on them.

If you want more information about visiting the Hebridies send me a PM
Old Jan 25, 2012, 4:04 am

Programs: VA Gold, BA Silver
Just looking at planning a trip to the Hebrides myself.

Thought I’d add in a recommendation for Orkney, the place has the best collection of Neolithic sites I’ve ever seen, most of which were deserted and we had to ourselves. Has a great culture, good beer and lots of other sites such as the beautiful cathedra in Kirkwall.

Plus you can drive to the top to get there, which is a great drive.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 4:16 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS & Aeroplan Red, Marriott Silver, Hilton Honours, Hertz Gold, GHA Discovery Platinum
Oh! This thread prompted me to look for flights at half-term, as my daughter was complaining last night that she hasn't been to Scotland for a while (my in-laws have a place on Lewis, my father-in-law's family is from there).

Anyway - I can't book flights there with Avios. I can book a BA flight (well, a codeshare) with cash, but try and book to SYY or BRR with Avios and you get a message that 'BA does not operate these routes'.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 5:27 am

Programs: PC RA, Hertz PC, (Flybe) Premier card, Tesco Platinum
And another handy tip for Henky, Flybe now do a (daily?) AMS-INV service, which saves all that faffing about wasting time in the HIDDY-ous central belt.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.