Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

OT: The Hebrides. When? Where? How to get there?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OT: The Hebrides. When? Where? How to get there?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2011, 3:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by W-B
All the different islands are wonderful to visit, not just the Outer Hebrides.
Indeed they are. Mull especially is a favourite of mine. All of Scotland is wonderful in fact some of the nicest parts are the ones that are rarely visited.

My favourite place is below but I'm sworn to secrecy as to where it is.

Old Jun 12, 2011, 3:58 pm

I would consider taking the overnight sleeper train from London to Fort William, and picking up a hire care there.

If you travel around May/June time, you'll wake up just as dawn is breaking over the shores of Loch Lomond, and you can take your breakfast in the lounge car as you are passing through some of the most spectacular and remotest moorland in Britain, before arriving mid-morning in Fort William.

As an introduction to Scotland, it can't be beaten, in my opinion.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 3:39 am

Programs: BAEC blue, CX Gold, HHonors Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Le Club Accor Plat
Originally Posted by henkybaby
First research:

Fly to Glasgow
1: Glasgow
2: Drymen
3: Inveraray
4: Ballachulish
5: Uig (Ferry)
6: Lochmaddy
7: Harris
8: Back north to Tarbert
9: Stornoway
10: Ullapool
11: Tongue
12: Beauly
13: Inverness
14: Aberfeldy
15: Edinburgh
Fly to NL (or drive to Glasgow and then back to NL) on BA of course...
If you want to take a slightly alternative but equally spectacular routing then I'd suggest 1 Glasgow, 2 Arran (using the Ardrossan-Brodick ferry to get onto the island, then the Lochranza-Cloanaig ferry to leave the island), 3 Inveraray.

Arran's known as Scotland in miniature for a very good reason but would give you somehwere to spend a day or two before seriously hitting the driving up the west coast. Would also give you a bit of Kintyre going between Cloanaig and Inveraray.

I'd also agree with the others that the FAR north doesn't have much to offer beyond what you'll find on the West coast / clyde / hebrides.

I presume you've explored the island roving/hopping/hopscotch tickets available on www.calmac.co.uk ?
Old Jun 13, 2011, 4:03 am

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Lots been said already. My knowledge is based on having organised three island dos, and helped with the (original and) fourth:

Barra (Do 1) - lovely to land on the beach. Nice scenery. But... have to say... not a lot else to do there except walk. If you do go, stay at the Castlebay hotel, not the Isle of Barra, unless you like 1970s Scottish breeze block hotels with too much tartan which are reminisicent of the shining. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...sion-long.html You can catch the ferry from Barra - South Uist, and then carry on up the entire outer Hebride chain, but this would also involve getting a car to Barra on the Oban ferry.

Islay (Do -2) Lovely island, particularly if you like whisky. While not as scenically grand as some other places mentioned, it's still very scenic, and has, by Hebridean standards, quite a large population. Can easily be combined with Jura. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...23rd-july.html

Orkney (Do 3) The northern isles are a very different proposition from the western isles. Orkney, of all the Scottish island groups is the most green and agricultural of the Scottish island groups. Rich in archaeology and nature, some pretty impressive coastal scenery as well. Definitely worth a visit as well. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ne-2008-a.html

Shetland (Do 4). I have to agree with Stez - the first time I went to Shetland I found it all a little bit dull and flat. However... I really misjudged it. When starting to run out of islands, we took island Do 4 there - and for some who had attended all of the Dos, this became their favourite islands. The scenery is actually superb - from the rolling pastures of the south to the sunken seascapes of the west to the rocky cliffs and tors of the north. Don't sell it short - these islands deserve their own visit. Having taken the Do up there last year, I returned again this year and am so besotted with it, I'm seriously considering going back again next year. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/commu...ne-2010-a.html Fabulous food, great wildlife (otters and dolphins and whales oh my!) and the cutest sheep and ponies in the world. Ever.

For the sharp eyed, you'll see that island dos happen at approximately two yearly intervals.. with the last one last year... there may be another one next year. Watch this space. No idea where we'd go, since we are starting to run out of islands served by air - really just Stornoway left to do... (Yes, I know Benbecula and Tiree, but having done Barra, we need stuff to do as well as just fly there).

For me, the appeal of the islands of Scotland is many. Firstly, the way of life is very different from anything you'd experience on the mainland. They can be very remote places, so the sense of community and independence is stronger than anywhere I've been in the UK. The pace of life is different - things happen when they happen and they won't be hurried. And the way of life is much more linked to weather and tides than anything down here (or in Shetland, ferry timetables!). The islanders lack some of the amenities we on the mainland take for granted, and have things that we might not have seen or heard of - post buses, mobile banks etc. Secondly, the sense of space, light and quiet. The light is to die for. Standing on Shetland or Orkney in June and realising that actually, it's not going to get fully dark... and the stars! It's the best place to go to step out the rat race and unwind. Even when it rains. It's the rain and wind you have to watch out for It's all a lot more elemental up there!

The people are friendly (and speak funny ) and helpful and appear endlessly patient, even if at times they think we are a bit slow to not understand what is important in their lives (nowhere have I had a stronger sense of this than on Shetland, where so many times I felt well humoured ). But nor will they be rushed...

So I hope you make it henkybaby, and I hope you enjoy it. For me, islands are magical and Scottish islands are magical - but you have to accept them for what they are too. And go in May/June. In spring, they are the best. And the lambs are very cute.

Last edited by Jenbel; Jun 13, 2011 at 4:13 am
Old Jun 13, 2011, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Its such a lovely part of the country. Sound like an exciting trip.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
I can tell from all the PMs and reaction I got that this really is a much loved area. I thank you all and will do my best to thank each and everyone personally for their valuable contributions. ^

I guess the way to go is to search out 3 or 4 spots we really want to spend a couple of days each with some scenic or interesting routes in between. I must remember that by then my dear old mum will be 74 and her chronic (albeit mild) heart failure makes hiking a thing of the past. She still loves little planes (ever since Africa) so I guess we could do the beach landing thing.

You have given me a lot to think about. I think late August/early September would be the best time for us since we both hate crowds and I have a particular dislike to anything swarming and insect-like. Especially if they bite.

Glasgow would be a good starting point (we both like cities too) and I guess that we will do St. Andrews because they have a Fairmont there and we can always get very good deals and upgrades there.

As I said, a lot to think about but also enough time to do that in. If any of you know of real nice holiday lets with 2 bedrooms and a lot of privacy please let me know. I always find holiday lets especially difficult to judge from the Interweb alone.

Once again: thanks to wonderful BA FT community!
Old Jun 13, 2011, 6:33 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by HIDDY
My favourite place is below but I'm sworn to secrecy as to where it is.

The file name might give it away

Last edited by Paralytic; Jun 13, 2011 at 6:43 am
Old Jun 13, 2011, 6:36 am

Programs: BA Gold
A must-do excursion during a trip to GLA

If you're going to be in Glasgow, then my top tip for an excursion (especially for a Flyer-Talker!) is to take a trip on the sea plane. It takes off from the city centre on the river Clyde and will offer you some of the most stunning and spectacular views of Scotland. I grew up close to Loch Lomond, but seeing it from a few thousand feet was truly breathtaking.

They used to fly directly to Oban and Tobermory, but those seem to have been suspended in favour of just sight seeing "discovery tours". Another clip here.

All prices and details on their website http://www.lochlomondseaplanes.com/
Old Jun 13, 2011, 6:44 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Air_Bear
If you're going to be in Glasgow...
Another Glasgow sight not to be missed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVxfRp7bhgI

Last edited by Paralytic; Jun 13, 2011 at 6:51 am
Old Jun 13, 2011, 6:48 am

Programs: Flying Blue, GHA - Pan Pacific Hotels
Edinburgh is a hilly city so your Mum might find walking around the city centre a bit too much. I suggest that you look into getting an electric wheelchair / scootor which the local council hire out free of charge. Here is a web link to the section about wheelchair hire http://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/info/137...n_shopmobility

It mentions a City Centre Mobile Unit. This can be found at Waterloo Place just down from the Apex Hotel at the east end of Princess Street.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I suggest Cornwall and the Scillies. Like Scotland, but without the funny people.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by Paralytic
Rannoch Moor covers 50 square miles.....and has hundreds of lochs.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 6:56 am

Programs: BA Gold
Another Glasgow sight not to be missed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVxfRp7bhgI
Too funny. I think this is called the 'Tennents Super' effect.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 7:13 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

I suspect the file name is just a decoy by HIDDY He's quite crafty. Looks like Burntisland to me.

Henkybaby You might want to consider a few bottles of this just in case. In all seriousness it does work. A close family member of mine is ex-Military and he swears by it as did his men.

http://heritage.scotsman.com/scotlan...-as.2654251.jp
Old Jun 13, 2011, 7:14 am

Programs: BA Bronze
Looks like you already have a lot of very good answers here so far.

Last year I popped the question to my now wife on the Island of Colonsay. It's tiny, 8 miles by 3 and mostly uninhabited. It has a wonderful hotel and some great empty beaches, well worth a weekend.

If you can get as far as Oban, look into flying with Hebridean Air http://www.hebrideanair.co.uk/flights/Air_Charter.html they were good value and an absolutely stunning flight across the straits to the islands.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.