Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

What's the best T5 lounge to watch live sport?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2011, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL & CCR

A classic French Open final is on the cards tomorrow and I'll be in the lounge especially early at around 13:00 . . . for a 19:10 flight .

In GF I've only watched on the terrace or next to the gold bar on the other side of the lounge. I prefer the terrace due to the ambient noise level being higher and me not looking so foolish as a result .

One of the bank of TVs on the left just after you enter GF sometimes has an event on, but there's just too much traffic there.

Do any of the other T5 lounges fare better for of bit of atmosphere?

BTW - happy to guest someone in between about 13:00 and 18:30. PM me.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Galleries Club South has a 'cinema' area, which is fairly private. You may have to evict some sleepers on the chairs, though, as the darkness attracts the tired

I would personally stick with the Galleries First terrace - even tennis is no excuse to mix with the Club ruffians
Old Jun 4, 2011, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Genius1
. . . even tennis is no excuse to mix with the Club ruffians
Indeed .

I must say though that the two times I have been curious enough to venture there it was all good . . . except for the lack of the bubbly stuff.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Anfield
I must say though that the two times I have been curious enough to venture there it was all good . . . except for the lack of the bubbly stuff.
Champagne is available on request in the Club lounges.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

It is indeed, but it would be a bit of a pain finding someone to make your request to at 6-6 in the third set tie-break, then waiting an indeterminate length of time when everything else is self pour.

It would be quicker to shuttle to GF to grab a glass . . . I guess it makes sense to stick to GF as you suggested .
Old Jun 4, 2011, 6:31 pm

Programs: BA Silver
I have no experience of the F lounges but there's a lovely spot in Galleries North on the terrace. The TV is in the corner and it seems there could be a remote there for discerning channel hoppers.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
with the Club ruffians
Didn't you say you weren't planning on renewing your Gold card this year, Genius1? Careful...
Old Jun 4, 2011, 6:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by G-BOAC
Didn't you say you weren't planning on renewing your Gold card this year, Genius1? Careful...
He's probably going to stay put in the land of the Euro in order to get those favoured upper deck seats first.

Swanhunter won't be a happy bunny.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 3:32 am

Originally Posted by SouthLondonFlyer
I have no experience of the F lounges but there's a lovely spot in Galleries North on the terrace. The TV is in the corner and it seems there could be a remote there for discerning channel hoppers.
There certainly is. And an excellent seating arrangement - it will just be like sitting courtside

The remote control usually sits on the table to the right of the screen. Also, a departures board is to your left so you can watch the tennis whilst keeping an eye on your flight.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 3:45 am

We usually put major events on in the South Club cinema. Bubbly is available on request (and depending how your team does) and at the moment the cocktail bar is right by it......
Old Jun 6, 2011, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HIDDY
He's probably going to stay put in the land of the Euro in order to get those favoured upper deck seats first.
I don't need to be Gold to get upper deck seats - Silver will suffice

I've just logged into my bmi account to find I've been downgraded to Silver. How dare they I've flown two sectors on bmi and one sector on Lufthansa this year, all in economy. How dare they.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 10:34 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Muccis du Monde des Peluches
Originally Posted by Anfield
It would be quicker to shuttle to GF to grab a glass . . .
Quite possible, I would imagine. Last week we carried our wine from the JFK Flounge all the way through the Club lounge to the CW dining area. (Although, frankly, the only thing worth the bother was the Veuve: the T5 GC wines are rather better than the JFK Flounge ones.)
Old Jun 6, 2011, 11:36 am
Original Poster

Well I decided to stick with the GF terrace and am very glad that I did. The maximum number of pax on the terrace at any point in time was about 8 with no more than 4 watching the match. Surprising really as the lounge was otherwise quite busy.

I got there early and whacked-up the volume to about 66% which drowned out most of the ambient noise. A thoroughly enjoyable 6 hours in GF . . . head was a bit sore in the morning though.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 12:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I've just logged into my bmi account to find I've been downgraded to Silver. How dare they I've flown two sectors on bmi and one sector on Lufthansa this year, all in economy. How dare they.
At least you've changed your profile to reflect your new status. ^

Some members find it demeaning to do such a thing.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by HIDDY
At least you've changed your profile to reflect your new status. ^
Some members find it demeaning to do such a thing.
IIRC, the field is asking which "Programme/s", not status, which could make things much easier.

I mean, I pay "tax" ... just not a lot

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.