Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Why do we have to put up with the Daily Fail?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why do we have to put up with the Daily Fail?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2011, 9:57 am

Programs: EK Gold, SPG Plat, Radisson Gold, BA Silver HHonors Silver A Club, CSA Gold
What I find really offensive is the abundance of free copies of Time, Newsweek and the FT. When I get on an aircraft, which is at least twice a week, I do not wish to be constantly reminded of the fact I could be using the 1 to 7 hours in constructive diversion and self improvement, when the only thing on my mind is to drink wine, play the ipad, read a good book and break wind contentedly. My plane time is the only time I get purely to myself and would quite happily stretch out in my pants if I could. I am sure the publishers of the above titles are aiming at my demographic as I am 40, white, a male C level exec, but having read them in my twenties, pretended to read them in my thirties, I would rather flick through the cartoons in the Daily Mail any day.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 10:17 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by PETER01
120 posts about a Newspaper, including myself

A huge amount of info and opinions, some of which are amusing but I wonder if any others think that there sometimes seems to be more worthy threads with people looking for specific answers but they seem to disappear. Strange place at times on here
Lets ask a mod to merge this thread with the toilet paper thread, and see if anyone notices.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 10:21 am

Programs: United 1K, Alaska MVP 75K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by origin
What I find offensive more than anything else, is that some people think its acceptable to tell, or even consider to tell other people what to read. There should be a choice in the Lounge for the users they target.
^
Old Apr 26, 2011, 10:28 am

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Originally Posted by Paralytic
Lets ask a mod to merge this thread with the toilet paper thread, and see if anyone notices.
I think you may have just saved the Wednesday shipping charges! Why bother with Asda or Tesco?
Old Apr 26, 2011, 10:36 am

Programs: BA, Marriott, Hertz, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
In the EDI lounge we get the Scottish Daily Mail: all the fun of the normal Mail but with added parochialism.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 12:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by Captain Schmidt
Airways to stick to handing out The Standard which on the basis that it's free anyway should probably be more than happy to make as many copies available as BA wants, and is unlikely to offend anyone (at least now that it's no longer owned by the Daily Mail ).
The Standard is available at LGW to all passengers in the North Terminal, not just BA.

And britbronco - there are newspapers at the gate. At LGW we have the Mail and that I thingy (something to do with the Independent I think).

IIRC the bins at the gates at T5 have the Mail, Telegraph and Times.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 12:58 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
I dont see how BA get any benefit from giving out any copies of newspapers.
They get a benefit if the DM pay them to hand out the newspapers. It would be to the benefit of the DM to do so, as it increases their circulation and therefore their ad revenue.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 1:04 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
The Standard is available at LGW to all passengers in the North Terminal, not just BA.

And britbronco - there are newspapers at the gate. At LGW we have the Mail and that I thingy (something to do with the Independent I think).

IIRC the bins at the gates at T5 have the Mail, Telegraph and Times.
Yes I know there are newspapers in the bins, it was the choice I was complaining about.
However, I was remise in remembering that T5 normally has some kind of selection, the Mail or Independent or FT.
Sadly at Prague it is normally the Mail or nothing, but I guess you can't complain too much about outstations.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 11:58 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Give or take the odd tweak, I suspect this still largely holds true (sharp eyed readers will note the absence of the the self-proclaimed World's Greatest Newspaper):

Hacker: Don't tell me about the press. I know exactly who reads the papers:

The Daily Mirror is read by people who think they run the country;
The Guardian is read by people who think they ought to run the country;
The Times is read by the people who actually do run the country;
The Daily Mail is read by the wives of the people who run the country;
The Financial Times is read by people who own the country;
The Morning Star is read by people who think the country ought to be run by another country;
And The Daily Telegraph is read by people who think it is.

Sir Humphrey: Prime Minister, what about the people who read The Sun?

Bernard: Sun readers don't care who runs the country, as long as she's got big t*ts.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 1:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by britbronco22
They get a benefit if the DM pay them to hand out the newspapers. It would be to the benefit of the DM to do so, as it increases their circulation and therefore their ad revenue.
I dont think BA get paid by the DM to give out their newspapers. I think its just that the customers that BA are looking for in their louunges are DM readers or at least understand what it is about.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 1:10 am
Suspended

Programs: Mucci, BAEC (Silver), FlyBe
Thanks, BA235 - I was just thinking of that!

Incidentally, my tuppence 'orth is that whenever I see someone reading The Mail I instantly believe them to be a racist.

I may be wrong, however. Me and my prejudice, eh...?
Old Apr 27, 2011, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dark_horse
Thanks, BA235 - I was just thinking of that!

Incidentally, my tuppence 'orth is that whenever I see someone reading The Mail I instantly believe them to be a racist.

I may be wrong, however. Me and my prejudice, eh...?
DM readers arent racist. They just dont approve in giving the EU millions amount of money for no reason.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 1:33 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador

It comes down to choice. You can't say a newspaper is 'better' than another, just note the differences. Freedom of expression is a fundamental tenet of any democratic society. The Daily Mail actually has a fairly well educated readership compared to the Star. If you look at the figures, often households will read a Times and the Mail.

I'm not a huge fan of the paper, but it's infinitely better than the Daily Express in my view, which always tries to paint doom & gloom "killer smog" was the headline last week, they have a 'poll' which normally asks something like "should the death penalty be introduced for illegal immigrants?" and always has a high 90s % yes result. Ultimately, though, the way freedoms work is such that such views must be tolerated. Many of my friends argue that certain people should be unable to vote because they're unable to understand the issues. I personally think this thread is approaching such absolutism, and such views could be dangerous if followed through with.

I tend to get most of my news from FT.com and the iPad version.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 1:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
FT all the way for me...

- great global network of correspondents (550 around the world iirc)
- who actually know what they're talking about
- producing content for decision makers who need to know facts and solid analysis, so no fluff or agenda-bias
- and a great weekend product.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 1:58 am

DM readers arent racist. They just dont approve in giving the EU millions amount of money for no reason.
To borrow (somewhat) from The Simpsons:

The Daily Mail. Not racist. But Number One with racists.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.