Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Why do we have to put up with the Daily Fail?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2011, 6:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold

There are so many better Papers, so why do BA insist on the Daily Fail?

In Gatwick Lounge there is 1 Telegraph (That I've aquired) 5 Inndependants and about 10 Daily Fails.

Surely they can do better than this.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 6:55 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Originally Posted by windsock

In Gatwick Lounge there is 1 Telegraph (That I've aquired) 5 Inndependants and about 10 Daily Fails.

I suspect that BA get paid for the above rag but have to pay for the others.

Also would help if people stole the Daily Fail rather than the other papers.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by OPebble
Also would help if people stole the Daily Fail rather than the other papers.
Why would anyone want to do that? Apart from using it as a draught excluder
Old Apr 25, 2011, 6:59 am

Programs: BA Gold; HH Gold; M&M; PS Classic; VV Silver (deceased); BD Silver (deceased).
Originally Posted by OPebble
I suspect that BA get paid for the above rag but have to pay for the others.
For a long time I got a copy of the Daily Hate delivered free with every Tesco order. I guess it was just another ploy to inflate circulation figures
Old Apr 25, 2011, 6:59 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by T8191
Why would anyone want to do that? Apart from using it as a draught excluder
Its useful for kindling for fires/barbeques
Old Apr 25, 2011, 7:24 am

It also has the second biggest circulation of any British newspaper. As this presumably means that lots and lots of people want to read it, i'm guessing BA are giving people what they want. If it's that important buy a Telegraph, Times, FT etc from WH Smith before entering the lounge. I do.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 7:59 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by indianwells
It also has the second biggest circulation of any British newspaper.
Though given the size of the UK population [62M] it's circulation [2M] is miniscule.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 8:02 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
It also has the second biggest circulation of any British newspaper. As this presumably means that lots and lots of people want to read it, i'm guessing BA are giving people what they want.
Just the opposite!
Newspapers make money from advertising; not from the sales of the newspaper. The higher the circulation, the more they can charge for advertising. Circulation is not based on sales but on how many newspapers get handed out and are not returned.

BA are being incentivised to give away free newspapers to boost the circulation numbers. That is how the circulations are so high. It is not necessarily giving people want they want but persuading them to take a copy since there is very little other option for a quick flick through while taxing to the runway.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 8:08 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others

If it's that important buy a Telegraph, Times, FT etc from WH Smith before entering the lounge. I do.
+1 ^. Especially the Sunday papers.

Maybe the OP's thinking more along the lines of Daily Star, Daily Mirror and Sun.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 8:08 am
uk1
Suspended

People often over generalise.

The journalism on the DM often stinks. But it has one of the strongest health and finance sections of ANY daily or Sunday UK newspaper.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
It also has the second biggest circulation of any British newspaper. As this presumably means that lots and lots of people want to read it, i'm guessing BA are giving people what they want. If it's that important buy a Telegraph, Times, FT etc from WH Smith before entering the lounge. I do.
Yes, but then the newspaper preferences of the UK population are very stratified, and the vast majority of DM readers do not fit the typical socio-demographic profile of BA lounge visitors. Plus at that rate they might as well have gone for the Sun. This is not a statement of taste/distaste but there is a very obvious 'right wing bias' in BA's choice of newspapers: apart from the Independent, everything else you find (DM, DT, T) is between rather and very right wing. I'd rather the choice were DT, Times, Independent, Guardian, and FT but I guess it would simply be more expensive.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by windsock

I do agree that BA shouldnt even consider having the independants newspapers in their lounges. They should also increase the number of Telegraphs. But I fail to see what your point is. Maybe you need to buy a book from one of the lovely Duty free shops and have a good read. I hear that Louise Bagshawe shares the love around.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by orbitmic
Yes, but then the newspaper preferences of the UK population are very stratified, and the vast majority of DM readers do not fit the typical socio-demographic profile of BA lounge visitors. Plus at that rate they might as well have gone for the Sun.
The lounge caters for right wing business people. That is their target area. They dont really care about the retired people, the school teachers they want and need business men and bankers. Who will read the Telegraph more than any other newspaper.

What is the Sun???
Old Apr 25, 2011, 8:15 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
I think this is more a LGW problem. GF/GC at T5 seem to have a much better selection, including plentiful stocks of the global newspaper of record.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What I find offensive more than anything else, is that some people think its acceptable to tell, or even consider to tell other people what to read. There should be a choice in the Lounge for the users they target.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.