FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Why do we have to put up with the Daily Fail? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1209040-why-do-we-have-put-up-daily-fail.html)

windsock Apr 25, 2011 6:35 am

Why do we have to put up with the Daily Fail?

There are so many better Papers, so why do BA insist on the Daily Fail?

In Gatwick Lounge there is 1 Telegraph (That I've aquired) 5 Inndependants and about 10 Daily Fails.

Surely they can do better than this.

OPebble Apr 25, 2011 6:55 am

Originally Posted by windsock (Post 16275704)

In Gatwick Lounge there is 1 Telegraph (That I've aquired) 5 Inndependants and about 10 Daily Fails.

I suspect that BA get paid for the above rag but have to pay for the others.

Also would help if people stole the Daily Fail rather than the other papers.

T8191 Apr 25, 2011 6:57 am

Originally Posted by OPebble (Post 16275766)
Also would help if people stole the Daily Fail rather than the other papers.

Why would anyone want to do that? Apart from using it as a draught excluder ;)

heartybob Apr 25, 2011 6:59 am

Originally Posted by OPebble (Post 16275766)
I suspect that BA get paid for the above rag but have to pay for the others.

For a long time I got a copy of the Daily Hate delivered free with every Tesco order. I guess it was just another ploy to inflate circulation figures :rolleyes:

britbronco22 Apr 25, 2011 6:59 am

Originally Posted by T8191 (Post 16275774)
Why would anyone want to do that? Apart from using it as a draught excluder ;)

Its useful for kindling for fires/barbeques

indianwells Apr 25, 2011 7:24 am

It also has the second biggest circulation of any British newspaper. As this presumably means that lots and lots of people want to read it, i'm guessing BA are giving people what they want. If it's that important buy a Telegraph, Times, FT etc from WH Smith before entering the lounge. I do.

Zamoyska Apr 25, 2011 7:59 am

Originally Posted by indianwells (Post 16275879)
It also has the second biggest circulation of any British newspaper.

Though given the size of the UK population [62M] it's circulation [2M] is miniscule.

KenJohn Apr 25, 2011 8:02 am

It also has the second biggest circulation of any British newspaper. As this presumably means that lots and lots of people want to read it, i'm guessing BA are giving people what they want.

Just the opposite!
Newspapers make money from advertising; not from the sales of the newspaper. The higher the circulation, the more they can charge for advertising. Circulation is not based on sales but on how many newspapers get handed out and are not returned.

BA are being incentivised to give away free newspapers to boost the circulation numbers. That is how the circulations are so high. It is not necessarily giving people want they want but persuading them to take a copy since there is very little other option for a quick flick through while taxing to the runway.

Phil the Flyer Apr 25, 2011 8:08 am

If it's that important buy a Telegraph, Times, FT etc from WH Smith before entering the lounge. I do.

+1 ^. Especially the Sunday papers.

Maybe the OP's thinking more along the lines of Daily Star, Daily Mirror and Sun. ;)

uk1 Apr 25, 2011 8:08 am

People often over generalise.

The journalism on the DM often stinks. But it has one of the strongest health and finance sections of ANY daily or Sunday UK newspaper.

orbitmic Apr 25, 2011 8:12 am

It also has the second biggest circulation of any British newspaper. As this presumably means that lots and lots of people want to read it, i'm guessing BA are giving people what they want. If it's that important buy a Telegraph, Times, FT etc from WH Smith before entering the lounge. I do.

Yes, but then the newspaper preferences of the UK population are very stratified, and the vast majority of DM readers do not fit the typical socio-demographic profile of BA lounge visitors. Plus at that rate they might as well have gone for the Sun. This is not a statement of taste/distaste but there is a very obvious 'right wing bias' in BA's choice of newspapers: apart from the Independent, everything else you find (DM, DT, T) is between rather and very right wing. I'd rather the choice were DT, Times, Independent, Guardian, and FT but I guess it would simply be more expensive.

origin Apr 25, 2011 8:12 am

Originally Posted by windsock (Post 16275704)

I do agree that BA shouldnt even consider having the independants newspapers in their lounges. They should also increase the number of Telegraphs. But I fail to see what your point is. Maybe you need to buy a book from one of the lovely Duty free shops and have a good read. I hear that Louise Bagshawe shares the love around.

origin Apr 25, 2011 8:14 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic (Post 16276109)
Yes, but then the newspaper preferences of the UK population are very stratified, and the vast majority of DM readers do not fit the typical socio-demographic profile of BA lounge visitors. Plus at that rate they might as well have gone for the Sun.

The lounge caters for right wing business people. That is their target area. They dont really care about the retired people, the school teachers they want and need business men and bankers. Who will read the Telegraph more than any other newspaper.

What is the Sun???

BahrainLad Apr 25, 2011 8:15 am

I think this is more a LGW problem. GF/GC at T5 seem to have a much better selection, including plentiful stocks of the global newspaper of record.

origin Apr 25, 2011 8:17 am

What I find offensive more than anything else, is that some people think its acceptable to tell, or even consider to tell other people what to read. There should be a choice in the Lounge for the users they target.