Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GGL: a bit disappointed with the Joker

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2011, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by avm2806
When you compare with the more elite clubs like LH HON or SQ Solitaire - GGL is way behind...
Not familiar with SQ's Solitaire but you can't really compare GGL to LH HON.
It is far far more difficult earning HON than GGL, not even close.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 7:06 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by avm2806
I am honestly a bit disappointed with GGL all around... it really gives you nothing tangible other than the Joker which I havent yet had the need or opportunity to use. When you compare with the more elite clubs like LH HON or SQ Solitaire - GGL is way behind...
I'm trying to weigh up whether to push for 3k this year, I've planned flights that take me upto 2835 by the end of my membership year so could manage it with a slight push. Pondering whether it's worth the push.....
Old Apr 6, 2011, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As I've posted before

* The joker is immensely valuable. I've done peak season, peak flight redemptions to BGI, CPT and HKG amongst others using it. Hint - A availability is much better than D, and who wants to redeem in Club anyhow.
* GGL on the phone are generallt far more helpful than Gold
* My op-up percentage is quite remarkable.

GGL could be better - especially the ability of the phone people to get stuff done - but ime it is a distinct step up from GoldScum.

I'd do the extra flights from 2835. Sadly I'll only wash up at 1500 this year.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 11:16 am

Thanks Swanhunter, I'll have a go I think
Old Apr 6, 2011, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
As I've posted before

* The joker is immensely valuable. I've done peak season, peak flight redemptions to BGI, CPT and HKG amongst others using it. Hint - A availability is much better than D, and who wants to redeem in Club anyhow.
* GGL on the phone are generallt far more helpful than Gold
* My op-up percentage is quite remarkable.

GGL could be better - especially the ability of the phone people to get stuff done - but ime it is a distinct step up from GoldScum.

I'd do the extra flights from 2835. Sadly I'll only wash up at 1500 this year.
Sadly I agree (although MFU in my case) and my miles balance suffers as a result .
Old Apr 6, 2011, 11:46 am

Programs: BA GGL; SPG Plat; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by clubman
Not familiar with SQ's Solitaire but you can't really compare GGL to LH HON.
It is far far more difficult earning HON than GGL, not even close.
Agreed. I think HON is like reaching 5000+ TP's at least.

What i value most about GGL is the priority assitance line. Its not just about the short (or zero) wait time but they manage to sort out just about everything within avery short time - very reliable team.

Joker, Gold Partner card & Concorde Card are all just nice extras that cost BA nothing......
Old Apr 6, 2011, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold / HH Diamond / FB Platinium / SPG Gold / Marriott nothing
Originally Posted by LeisureFirst
I would have thought three days notice is when it's least likely to be useful. By that stage the flight is either virtually full with no A/D-availability or they're often opening up last-minute redemptions anyway.

Don't get me wrong - obviously there will be cases when it's useful three days out. But two or three weeks out or a bit more (when I would have though most people booked long-haul leisure trips) is often when redemptions are blank and even I-class might be gone but D is still left.
Other than calling BA, is there a way to know the availability in A or D ?
Old Apr 6, 2011, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by asr2999
Expertflyer or KVS.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Or through ba.com
Old Apr 6, 2011, 3:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hhonors Silver, Accor Club Silver and many others at the lowest level
Originally Posted by asr2999
On BA.com, price up a cash booking for the dates you want. Then, when you get to the page selecting specific flights, click on the flight number for the flight you want (in the "Flight Operating Airline" column). This should open up a pop-up window, the bottom row of which is the selling class. If it is below or equal for A or D (depending what you are aiming for), you are good to go. If it is above (F for First, C or J for Club), an alternative option is required.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 8:00 pm

Location: usually somewhere between 30000 and 40000 feet...but actually the English countryside
Programs: BA GGL/Lifetime Gold, EK Gold, Lowly M&M, Marriott tit, Hhonors Diamond, numerous others
Originally Posted by stueys
Thanks Swanhunter, I'll have a go I think
Stueys. W/out teaching granny to suck eggs don't forget you need to hit 3000 for 2 consecutive years, not a single year in isolation, apologies if you know this but I'm not sure from your op.

Agree with Swanhunter re destinations. Pleasantly HKG opened up before I moved there for 4 of us, as did PLS and MIA in peak, mixture of F and J.

Re op ups, whilst I can't prove the connection, my op ups have definitely improved since hitting GGL a while back.

Last edited by Beano HK; Apr 6, 2011 at 8:01 pm Reason: Typo
Old Apr 7, 2011, 2:57 am

Originally Posted by Beano HK
Stueys. W/out teaching granny to suck eggs don't forget you need to hit 3000 for 2 consecutive years, not a single year in isolation, apologies if you know this but I'm not sure from your op.
Thanks, I knew. My pattern of flying tends to be fairly consistent, I normally run somewhere between 2500-2800 a year, it would be a slight push to get to 3k
Old Apr 7, 2011, 4:57 am
Lux

Originally Posted by Beano HK
...you need to hit 3000 for 2 consecutive years, not a single year in isolation, apologies if you know this but I'm not sure from your op.
Or, to be pedantic, 5000 points in a single year. That's how I first got it, and it's been worth retaining since then.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 5:28 am

Originally Posted by Lux
Or, to be pedantic, 5000 points in a single year. That's how I first got it, and it's been worth retaining since then.
I'm guessing the 5k entry criteria isn't often hit....that's a lot of flying without doing a lot of AA connections
Old Apr 7, 2011, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stueys
I'm guessing the 5k entry criteria isn't often hit....that's a lot of flying without doing a lot of AA connections
A longhaul in Club every 2 weeks or so. Not really that much flying.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.