Wiki Posts
Search

GGL: a bit disappointed with the Joker

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2011, 12:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold / HH Diamond / FB Platinium / SPG Gold / Marriott nothing
Unhappy GGL: a bit disappointed with the Joker

I was expecting too much from the Jocker benefit you get with the GGL.
I believed you could use BA miles as long as there were some available place on board.
That is not the case.
1. For instance, business class will be available only if there is some D class left (J will not work)
2. The jocker can only be used once on a flight. If someone else as already requested some extra seats using the jocker, a second pax can't request seats on the same plane...
Don't get me wrong, the jocker is still a good reward. It is not the perfect magic phrase that I was dreaming about.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 12:06 am

I don't understand. What is a jocker?
Old Apr 6, 2011, 12:25 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by indianwells
Otherwise known as a HIDDY.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 12:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Yahoo questions: What dose jocker mean? [sic]

Best answer: "In Ireland, if you are in a jocker it means you are feeling bad or hungover or tired. eg. "i'm in a jocker after that bottle of whiskey."

However, I'm just as intrigued as indianwells to hear the real answer! Though, perhaps a bottle of whiskey is handed to GGLs midflight. Who knows?
Old Apr 6, 2011, 12:32 am

For those who seem to have missed basic classes on interpolation as youngsters, I think the topic has to do with a 'Joker' which is supposed to allow redemption awards that are free of normal capacity restrictions.

That's just my wild guess, though... I'm sure someone more informed will be along to explain why the presence of an extra 'c' changes completely any and all attempts to make sense of the OP's post.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 12:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
I fear you may be right!

But it was fun while it lasted.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 12:41 am
Original Poster

It is known as the Gold Guest List Redemption

"Once a year, when you redeem your BA Miles, your dedicated team will be able to find additional space, subject to capacity, helping to secure seats for you and up to four passengers travelling on the same booking. Just call the team and they will be pleased to help you with your request."
Old Apr 6, 2011, 12:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Schultzois
For those who seem to have missed basic classes on interpolation as youngsters, I think the topic has to do with a 'Joker' which is supposed to allow redemption awards that are free of normal capacity restrictions.

That's just my wild guess, though... I'm sure someone more informed will be along to explain why the presence of an extra 'c' changes completely any and all attempts to make sense of the OP's post.
Oups! I meant Joker indeed...
Old Apr 6, 2011, 12:56 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by asr2999
I believed you could use BA miles as long as there were some available place on board.
That is not the case.
1. For instance, business class will be available only if there is some D class left (J will not work)
2. The jocker can only be used once on a flight. If someone else as already requested some extra seats using the jocker, a second pax can't request seats on the same plane...
Don't get me wrong, the jocker is still a good reward. It is not the perfect magic phrase that I was dreaming about.
Even as a lowly Blue I knew about that second rule!
Old Apr 6, 2011, 3:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by asr2999
That is not the case.
These are the rules.

(2) is quite unlikely.

(1) only rules out last minute, or very full flights where only J,C (or F) is left.

The Joker works very well for me - have used it to the GCM, BGI, CPT, SIN - for 5 of us. It's an amazing benefit.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 6:10 am

Programs: CX DM, BA G4L, QR PLT, EK PLT, Hyatt CC, HH DM, SQ SLTRE, BonvoyTit, UK SL, VS Wings, UA, DL, AA
I am honestly a bit disappointed with GGL all around... it really gives you nothing tangible other than the Joker which I havent yet had the need or opportunity to use. When you compare with the more elite clubs like LH HON or SQ Solitaire - GGL is way behind...
Old Apr 6, 2011, 6:13 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
I am so glad that you have all translated the original post into English. I honestly had no idea what on earth it was all about.

Thank you.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 6:16 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
I used mine to CPT and back at 3 days notice
Old Apr 6, 2011, 6:22 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Muccis du Monde des Peluches
Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
I used mine to CPT and back at 3 days notice
I would have thought three days notice is when it's least likely to be useful. By that stage the flight is either virtually full with no A/D-availability or they're often opening up last-minute redemptions anyway.

Don't get me wrong - obviously there will be cases when it's useful three days out. But two or three weeks out or a bit more (when I would have though most people booked long-haul leisure trips) is often when redemptions are blank and even I-class might be gone but D is still left.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 6:26 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by LeisureFirst
I would have thought three days notice is when it's least likely to be useful. By that stage the flight is either virtually full with no A/D-availability or they're often opening up last-minute redemptions anyway.

Don't get me wrong - obviously there will be cases when it's useful three days out. But two or three weeks out or a bit more (when I would have though most people booked long-haul leisure trips) is often when redemptions are blank and even I-class might be gone but D is still left.
Well I managed it. Called GGL and asked for advice about routes and he suggested CPT (very glad that he did as me and the better half had a great time. Looking to go again

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.