Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Clinic Thread – Why is BA’s award availability so bad? And why are the fees so high?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Clinic Thread – Why is BA’s award availability so bad? And why are the fees so high?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2012, 2:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
It's also possible that the fuel surcharge increased since you booked and the increase you are seeing is the extra YQ + the UK APD.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 2:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold, EK Silver, Cathay Gold, SPG Plat 100, Hilton G, PC Plat,Hertz Pres C, Le club Accor plat
Originally Posted by DWFI
It's also possible that the fuel surcharge increased since you booked and the increase you are seeing is the extra YQ + the UK APD.
Nope. Initial booking was 10AM EST today and the rebooking was 10:30 EST.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
Hmmm...I still think it's related to the way BA charges YQ.

BA charges different YQ for the same trip in different directions and plays all sorts of tricks so I suspect the stopover might have "broken" the YQ calculation and caused it to calculate 2 different YQs for the outbound journey and thus causing the increase.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by henkybaby
Life is so much simpler if you don't have to decode what people say. ^
Never heard of the civilising force of hypocrisy then, have you?
Old Oct 1, 2012, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
I'm still going with APD, especially since one leg is in a premium class.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 3:11 pm

Me too. £170 is the exact APD figure for a passenger travelling > 6000 miles in any class above the lowest available.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 3:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold, EK Silver, Cathay Gold, SPG Plat 100, Hilton G, PC Plat,Hertz Pres C, Le club Accor plat
Originally Posted by windowontheAside
Me too. £170 is the exact APD figure for a passenger travelling > 6000 miles in any class above the lowest available.
Does that mean I'll be flush with money, if I do

break up the JFK-LHR-MAA to JFK-LHR and LHR-MAA

?
Old Oct 1, 2012, 3:19 pm

It means that if you leave the airport for your stopover instead of just passing through on a connection, BA will have to pay HMRC £170 more APD.

So they pass it along to you.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
It means that if you leave the airport for your stopover instead of just passing through on a connection, BA will have to pay HMRC £170 more APD.

So they pass it along to you.
Not quite. If you stop over for more than 24 hours, then the APD kicks in. You're entitled to leave the airport and even sleep overnight. I am doing exactly this in a few months.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 3:26 pm

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
APD + BA change fee £25 + using phone £15 + any other fee that BA could think up while you we're on the phone. It isbpossiblebthey charged young change fee for each and every flight that was changed or altered.

I note the OP says that BA stated taxes which is not only misleading but thoroughly dishonest and exactly how BA describes their fee structure in my experience.

I was charged £160 for changing an F redemption less than 8 hours after it was booked to an open jaw which cannot be done on BA.com.

It is a fee ridden airline and the Ryan air of full service carriers. Know that, understand it and either live with it or fly on some other carrier.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 3:33 pm

Programs: MUCCI
Except that it would be the wrong figure as the OP states:
- The remaining leg from LHR is in WT, so should be on the discounted APD rates
- The APD distance of the remaining flight is under 6000 miles. (But it is just over 4000 for APD purposes)

Ask BA for a breakdown.

It could be a mistaken/erroneous APD calculation...
Old Oct 1, 2012, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
For the rates tables, see:
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/rates/apd.htm
Old Oct 1, 2012, 3:48 pm

Yep, just discovered I'm out of date.

Sorry for the inaccuracies everyone and thanks to those who straightened me out.

I'll get me coat >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Old Oct 1, 2012, 5:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by binman

It is a fee ridden airline and the Ryan air of full service carriers. Know that, understand it and either live with it or fly on some other carrier.
Aren't all airlines fee ridden?

Please tell me one that isn't.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 9:15 pm

Last edited by angatol; Mar 1, 2015 at 4:22 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.